Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The 13th (Wirral) Bn Cheshire Regiment - The Wirral Pals

abbrover

9 hours ago, Chris Bent said:

I can't find this location either on old or current maps.

Chris, first hit on TrenchMapper Search for breer finds Breemeerschen between Bailleul and Neuve Eglise, west of Ploegsteert.  There are over 70 maps and while I didn't check them all I didn't spot your spelling of the location.  TrenchMapper also has 6 or 7 georeferenced maps of Ploegsteert specifically marked December 1916.

image.png.09641fefe5027bde4f744ca3102d37a9.png

image.png.6e345208fad6ddd894aa31ca8f0fd37e.png

Thanks so much for this. I put Breer in the search and nothing came up. However, Breem brought up 2 including the one I wanted. However, it isn't the one you have posted which is excellent. Apologies, I am new to Trench Mapper and it is probably me! The misspelling came from the war diary. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/10/2023 at 20:09, abbrover said:

The attached images are that of W/532 Private William Proctor 13th (Wirral) Bn Cheshire Regiment. Originally from Barrow-in-Furness, he walked from there looking for work until he reached Port Sunlight, where he obtained a job in Messrs. Lever Brothers. He would go on to serve with the Wirral Battalion until he was wounded in the shoulder during the Battle of The Somme, and was then invalided back home. On recovery he was sent back to France, and served with the 15th and 1st/6th Bn's Cheshire Regiment. William Proctor became Britain's oldest man having attained the age of 109!

Pete

P1040765.JPG

Prince Charles photo.JPG

P1040705.JPG

Wonderful to see this here. My great grandfather, who lived with us as I was growing up and started my interest in military history and specifically the First World War 

I am so so excited to have found 'Abbrover'. Wow, I have only just touched the surface of what has been posted here.

I am in the middle of a project which heavily involves the 13th Cheshire, Wirral Pals. And have been searching for info all over the place but didn't come across this until today somehow?! 

I have tried to message Abbrover directly but not sure how. My account says I cannot send message. 

Would love to speak to you!!!! 

5 hours ago, Kimstodon said:

I am so so excited to have found 'Abbrover'. Wow, I have only just touched the surface of what has been posted here.

I am in the middle of a project which heavily involves the 13th Cheshire, Wirral Pals. And have been searching for info all over the place but didn't come across this until today somehow?! 

I have tried to message Abbrover directly but not sure how. My account says I cannot send message. 

Would love to speak to you!!!! 

@abbrover

5 hours ago, Chesterboy said:

Hello Chesterboy

I have been researching the 13th (Wirral) Bn Cheshire Regiment for over 30 years. What's your project, and whats your interest in the Wirral Pals, mate?

Kindest regards

Pete

9 hours ago, Kimstodon said:

@abbrover hey there, it was me with the project, 😁 I will direct message you. 

Morning Kimstodon

How are you going to message me directly if you don't have my contact details?

Pete

@abbrover I clicked on your profile which then enables people to message you directly. I sent it last night. 

Kim

Edited by Kimstodon
Clearer message

• Admin

@abbrover, you should have received an email from the GWF saying that Kim has sent you a message. The message should open when you log in. 

Many thanks Kimstodon and Michelle Young. I am a complete technophobe, and am not fully conversant with all this, so I do apologies.

I use abbrover's account, and she is away, but will do my best to get it.

Thanks for the pointers

Pete

• 2 months later...
On 05/10/2023 at 03:44, abbrover said:

Hello Cheshire22

W/1069 Private Thomas Shore was born in Bilston, Staffordshire, in 1883, the son of William and Ann Maria Shore. By 1911 he was living at 15, Livingstone Road, Ellesmere Port, with his wife, 3x daughters, 1x son, and a relative, and was employed by the Wolverhampton Corrugated Iron Works as a Labourer. His brother was W/1068 Private William Shore who was killed in action attacking Ovillers on 7th July 1916. Both brothers served in No.3 Company. Thomas had enlisted at Ellesmere Port on 4th September 1914, and prior to working at the WCIW, he had served an apprenticeship at Bayliss, Jones & Bayliss, and had previously served for 6 years with the 3rd Bn South Staffordshire Regiment. He married Miss Susan Priest at All Saint's Church, Wolverhampton, on 3rd August 1902, and by December 1914, had a total of 6 children. After he had enlisted into the 13th Cheshire's, he went on to train with the battalion at Perham Downs, Codford, Bournemouth, Hursley, Finchampstead, and Aldershot, before being sent to France on 25th September 1915. On 22nd August 1916, he received a gunshot wound to his right eye and cheek, and subsequently invalided back to England, and admitted to the London General Hospital, Camberwell on 18th September 1916 (he had clearly been sent to other hospitals before hand, but I could not find them). He was discharged from the army as being no longer physically fit for war service on 25th April 1917.

Hope this helps

Pete

Private W/1068 was my great Grandfather.