Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th cheshires

jamie_galway

hello people was has any body download any war diaries for kew on 74 Brigade,which was part of this 25 Division that the 13th Cheshires where in.

I've details from a few days of 13/Cheshires diary, related to the days my various researchees died. They are mainly notes taken from the Diary rather than extracts.

Is there anything specific you're after?

The Battalion War Diary is not yet available for download from the National Archives but you can ask them to photocopy it for you (at enormous expense). Th Regimental Archives at Chester has a copy and may be amenable to copying it for you. I'm sure they would be cheaper if they are willing.

John

I have a couple of postcards of the 13th Cheshire at Codford in late 1914: going on parade and a hut with Christmas decorations. Geo Davies of New Ferry visited the camp, probably at the same time as a delegation of local worthies, and published a number of postcards, some not precisely captioned - there were three other Cheshire battalions there at the same time. Last week on eBay there were a couple of soldier-portraits ascribed to the Cheshire Regiment when at Codford. If requested, I can post or email the postcards of the 13th.

Moonraker

I've details from a few days of 13/Cheshires diary, related to the days my various researchees died. They are mainly notes taken from the Diary rather than extracts.

Is there anything specific you're after?

The Battalion War Diary is not yet available for download from the National Archives but you can ask them to photocopy it for you (at enormous expense). Th Regimental Archives at Chester has a copy and may be amenable to copying it for you. I'm sure they would be cheaper if they are willing.

John

my great grandpa was in the cheshires about 1915 he went to france so i was wanting to now where they where and what they did and he got caught by the germans between late 1915 early 1916 and wanted to see if it had any thing about soilders getting caught!

I have a couple of postcards of the 13th Cheshire at Codford in late 1914: going on parade and a hut with Christmas decorations. Geo Davies of New Ferry visited the camp, probably at the same time as a delegation of local worthies, and published a number of postcards, some not precisely captioned - there were three other Cheshire battalions there at the same time. Last week on eBay there were a couple of soldier-portraits ascribed to the Cheshire Regiment when at Codford. If requested, I can post or email the postcards of the 13th.

Moonraker

that would be great if you could email me them please.

Sorry - I've only a couple of entries before July 1916.

The early part of the year was a rpetty quiet time for the Battalion and I'd have thought that for him to be taken prisoner a trench raid must have taken place or a discovered patrol in No Man's Land. Trench raid could have been a Brit one and eprhaps he was wounded and ha dto be lef tbehind. Or it could have a German raid which captured fromthe Brit trench.

I suspect yuo'd have to access the whole of the diary at Kew or Chester to see if you can spot when it might have been.

He might have been interviewed when he was released. These interviews are at the National Archives and an index of names is on the mother site here.

Good luck.

John

Have emailed you via the Forum's Personal Messenger.

Moonraker

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having a lot of trouble getting even one of the two PCs' byte size enough small enough to send by Personal Messenger and now I find this response when trying to contact you:

"This message can not be sent because the recipient has their personal messenger disabled or they are in a member group not allowed to use the personal messenger. This personal message has not been sent."

If you can enable your PM and send me your email address then I shall try to send you the two scans.

Moonraker

• 2 weeks later...
hello people was has any body download any war diaries for kew on 74 Brigade,which was part of this 25 Division that the 13th Cheshires where in.

Hi there.

My G-Grandfather was also in the 13th Cheshires. He was in 1 Company. I have a Company photo (I posted it on here a while back) I have also photographed the War Diaries from Kew (well most of it) I'll have a look through to see if I can see a mention of prisoners taken. I don't recall seeing one when I read it.

Any dates in particular you would like looking at.

Adam

Galway 1984

I owe you an apology. When I posted on August 5 re PMing (using the Personal Messenger facility in this Forum) I did not realise that newcomers had to post a certain number of posts before being able to do so. Anyway, here's the more interesting of the 13th Cheshire postcards that I have.

Moonraker

post-6017-1187525506.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Moonraker,

Any Chance of a more detailed scan of the postcard you attached. Would like to get a better look at the faces if possible.

Cheers,

Adam

Galway 1984

I owe you an apology. When I posted on August 5 re PMing (using the Personal Messenger facility in this Forum) I did not realise that newcomers had to post a certain number of posts before being able to do so. Anyway, here's the more interesting of the 13th Cheshire postcards that I have.

Moonraker

post-6017-1187525506.jpg

the following website shows the following details for the 25th Division of whcih the 13th Cheshire were part

http://www.warpath.orbat.com/divs/25_div.h...e_before_reduce

25th Division

Formed at Codford St. Peter and Fisherton de la Mere near Salisbury in September 1914 as part of the Third New Army. Arrived in France in September 1915. Served in France and Flanders until June 1918 when the Division was reduced to Cadre and returned to England. The Battalions were reconstituted with drafts in July 1918. In August 1918 the Division formed a full strength Brigade for service in North Russia (236th Brigade), the rest of the Battalions were broken up. In September 1918 the Headquarters of both the Division and the Brigades went back to France and the Division was reconstituted with nine Battalions from British Divisions serving in Italy. The Division remained in France and Flanders until the Armistice

Battles and Engagements

France and Flanders

German attacks on Vimy Ridge. 21 May 1916.

Battle of Albert. 1-13 Jul 1916, including the capture of Montauban, Mametz, Fricourt, Contalmaison and La Boisselle.

Battle of Bazentin. 14-17 Jul 1916, including the capture of Longueval, Trones Wood and Ovillers.

Battle of Pozieres. 23 Jul 1916, including the fighting for Mouquet Farm.

Battle of the Ancre Heights. 1-11 Oct 1916, including the capture of the Schwaben Redoubt, Stuff Redoubt and the Regina Trench.

Battle of Messines. 7-14 Jun 1917, including the capture of Wytschaete.

Battle of Pilkem. 31 Jul-2 Aug 1917.

Captured of Westhoek. 10 Aug 1917.

Battle of St. Quentin. 21-23 Mar 1918.

First Battle of Bapaume. 24-25 Mar 1918.

Battle of Estaires. 9-11 Apr 1918, including the first defence of Givenchy.

Battle of Messines. 10-11 Apr 1918.

Battle of Bailleul. 13-15 Apr 1918, including the defence of Neuve Eglise.

First Battle of Kemmel. 17-19 Apr 1918.

Second Battle of Kemmel. 25-26 Apr 1918.

Battle of the Scherpenberg. 29 Apr 1918.

Battle of the Aisne. 27 May-7 Jun 1918, including the attack on Bligny and Bois des Buttes.

Battle of Beaurevoir. 3-5 Oct 1918.

Battle of Cambrai. 8-9 Oct 1918, including the capture of Villers Outreaux and Cambrai.

The pursuit to the Selle. 9-12 Oct 1918.

Battle of the Selle. 17-25 Oct 1918.

Battle of the Sambre. 4 Nov 1918, including the passage of the Sambre-Oise canal and the capture of Le Quesnoy.

Battle of Albert. 1-13 Jul 1916, including the capture of Montauban, Mametz, Fricourt, Contalmaison and La Boisselle.

An interesting and creative bit of writing by the website given that, as far as I can see from the History, they were not anywhere near Montauban, Mametz, Fricourt or Contalmaison during this period.

The Division was further north - near Thiepval with some units moving to Ovillers on the 13th.

John

• 2 years later...
Hi there.

My G-Grandfather was also in the 13th Cheshires. He was in 1 Company. I have a Company photo (I posted it on here a while back) I have also photographed the War Diaries from Kew (well most of it) I'll have a look through to see if I can see a mention of prisoners taken. I don't recall seeing one when I read it.

Any dates in particular you would like looking at.

Adam

Hi Adam

Not sure if you're still tracking this, but I'm researching my own great grandfather, Sergeant Bill Goodger w/408, who was in the 13th Cheshires and KIA in May 1916. I'd be really interested to see your photo and any other info you've gleaned on your great grandfather.

Rich