Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frev, Married soldiers

stevenbecker

Frev,

Sorry mate but I lost our contact.

I think I found another married soldier for your list.

He' is very hard to find and it took me some time sorting out.

The soldiers name is William Terry AKA William Vickers

What I have on so far

TERRY    William    894    Pte    02 LHR    4R Tos 7-15 evac to (1 AGH) hosp (enteric, deafness L/ear & typhoid) 8-15 (G) RTA MU enteric relist 21R/9Bn (6632) to 3 Trg Bn UK 11-16 qual Musketry school Tidworth UK 3-17 qual bombing school 7-17 qual instructor 8-17 tos L/Cpl DCo 10-17 WIA 6/7-3-18 gas "W" shelled around Fusilier Wood near Neuve Eglise rtn 3-18 to T/Cpl 4-18 to No 4 OCS Oxford 6-18 prom 2/Lt 1-1-19 to AIBD Havre 2-19 to Graves Registration Det 5-19 F&B (NZ Queen Alexandria MR TF) later WWII AKA William Vickers    

CMF - NZ TF    

Station hand    25    enlisted Maadi Egypt / Rockhampton Qld    21-12-14    RTA 20-10-15 RTA 23-9-19    Nok -Taranaki NZ / Charter's Towers

One form shows he was married to a Nurse Gladys Walters AANS R39392 on the 19-11-19

his ship appears to have arrived back in Australia on the 11-11-19, so it looks like after he returned home, so maybe not what you are after

Most of these details come from his Medical file after the war.

S.B

Thanks Steve

But you're right - they don't fit the criteria as they married in Australia - both having returned on the same ship.

However, I will be looking into him a little further, as it appears that he married another lady whilst in England...!

Cheers, Frev

Mate,

Thanks sorry about that. hers another I don't known if he was amoung those I gave you many years ago but when date of marriage?

PORTER    Leonard    733    Pte    02 LHR    2R (1035) to L/Cpl MG Sect 2-15 evac to (1 Aux Conv) hosp (dysentry) 9-15 to Rear Dtls Egypt 10-15 (G) rtn to Cpl C Sqn? (from carlyon) 12-15 att WFF 1-16 to hosp (VD) 2-16 rtn 3-16 to hosp (colitis) 5-16 evac to (1st Western GH) hosp UK (dysentry) 7-16 to 1 LHTR 4-17 rtn B Sqn 4-17 to L/Cpl 6-17 to Cpl (from roach) 6-17 to 1 LHTR 2-18 rtn to T/Sgt D Troop? (from martin) 5-18 to Sgt 8-18 to hosp (malaria) 9-18 to 1 LH Bde Dtls 10-18 rtn B Sqn 2-19 married Louise Weaver possibly at Grimsby UK around 2-17 (4 IR 2 years to MG Sect/1 LH (CQ) CMF 1 year)    

CMF 1 LH    

Stockman    19    from Bundaberg Qld    10-12-14    RTA 13-3-19    NoK Grimsby Lancashire UK

It seams while in hosp in the UK he took time to marry an old sweet heart from Grimsby

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Yep, I already have him in the database ta Steve

Only date of marriage I have is from the index: Jan-Mar Qtr 1917 (most likely Feb)

Cheers, Frev

On 23/01/2022 at 14:44, RedCoat said:

Frev, it looks like you have a project running - may I ask what it is?

One of my many on-going projects, the "Married O/S Database" (WW1 only) includes details on all men & women who left Australia in the Australian forces or to serve in other forces etc - and married before returning home.

It currently sits at just over 4,200 - and has a long way to go yet!

3 hours ago, frev said:

One of my many on-going projects, the "Married O/S Database" (WW1 only) includes details on all men & women who left Australia in the Australian forces or to serve in other forces etc - and married before returning home.

It currently sits at just over 4,200 - and has a long way to go yet!

An interesting project.

I need to find it for you, but I did research an Australian soldier who was (from memory) wounded 3 times. He married in England and brought his bride back to Australia with him. He was met at the quay by a car and proceeded to a family celebration. On the way home, his car left the road injuring him, killing his bride and mother (from memory). 

I picked this story up in the Newspaper archives on Trove. Truly horrific.

Cheers
RC

Red,

I think when we first went throw this I found numbers of couples who lost one or the other in accidents after the war.

Drowning happened more often, but as many soldiers were doing suicides we find that some took others with them.

As a PTSD suffer, I went throw this in the Seventies until I stopped drinking.

S.B

20 hours ago, RedCoat said:

I need to find it for you, but I did research an Australian soldier who was (from memory) wounded 3 times. He married in England and brought his bride back to Australia with him. He was met at the quay by a car and proceeded to a family celebration. On the way home, his car left the road injuring him, killing his bride and mother (from memory). 

I picked this story up in the Newspaper archives on Trove. Truly horrific.

Thank you RC - as Steve mentioned there were many tragic stories surrounding our returned soldiers, which often included their new wives (and sometimes children).

However, I'm happy to say, if I've found the right one, although a pretty rough homecoming/welcome to Aus, this did actually have a happy ending.

If the man you researched was Arthur Leslie Ransom - one of the accident reports here:

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/15859996

But as serious as it seemed, both his wife and mother survived.  He and his wife returned to the UK in 1920 where they had 2 children, before returning to Aus 1948/49:

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=5048716

I've now added them to the database, thank you - however, if you're actually referring to a different incident, I'd love to know the details...

Cheers, Frev

35 minutes ago, frev said:

Thank you RC - as Steve mentioned there were many tragic stories surrounding our returned soldiers, which often included their new wives (and sometimes children).

However, I'm happy to say, if I've found the right one, although a pretty rough homecoming/welcome to Aus, this did actually have a happy ending.

If the man you researched was Arthur Leslie Ransom - one of the accident reports here:

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/15859996

But as serious as it seemed, both his wife and mother survived.  He and his wife returned to the UK in 1920 where they had 2 children, before returning to Aus 1948/49:

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=5048716

I've now added them to the database, thank you - however, if you're actually referring to a different incident, I'd love to know the details...

Cheers, Frev

Hi Frev,

Yes, thats the one - my memory jumbled the story a little but the bones were there.

If its of any further interest, his Victory Medal or British War Medal is extant somewhere - it was the catalyst for the research I conducted.

Kind regards
RC

Frev,

Mate, this bloke showed up 

TOWLER    John Desborough    895    Pte    02 LHR    4R to Rear Dtls 5-15 tos (RHQ?) 7-15 evac to (2 AGH) hosp Egypt (debility) 9-15 (G) to ABD 10-15 rtn 12-15 att WFF 1-15 to hosp (ametropia) 10-16 rtn 11-16 to hosp (debility) 5-17 rtn 6-17 to hosp (malaria) 10-18 to CTD 12-18 rtn 2-19 to UK leave 3-19 disch UK 22-5-19 Ex 3Bn AN&MEF DNE later WWII (N271651)

He is shown returned home (page 38) on the Breman 28-5-20 Ex AIF with Wife

It looks like after discharge in the UK he married and was allowed to return to Australia with Military transport after dischange?

One your your talents

S.B

Thanks Steve - he is new to me

He married Florence Beatrice Brown 13/5/1920 in Manchester, just 2 weeks before sailing.

Cheers, Frev

Mate,

Another maybe you don't have;

WARDMAN    Alfred David    898    Pte    02 LHR    4R to Rear Dtls 5-15 tos B Sqn 8-15 WIA 21-8-15 neck & R/leg shrapnel bullet reported 2 wounded at Popes Post evac to (3 London GH) hosp Wandsworth UK 9-15 (G) to AB Weymouth UK 1-16 rtn B Sqn?) 3-16 att WFF 3-16 to hosp (septic hand & deimitis) 7-16 to 1 LHTR 10-16 to hosp (neurasthenia) 10-16 rtn B Sqn? 1-17 to S/Smith 10-18 revert to hosp (malaria) 11-18 shown married Hannah Wardman at Weymouth UK 14-2-16

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

• 2 weeks later...

Frev,

Mate just to see if you have this bloke, 

JONES    Maurice Owen    46    Pte    02 LHR    RHQ AAMC Medical Orderly evac to (3 AGH) hosp Lemnos (dysentry) 8-15 rtn RHQ 8-15 (G) to Cpl 2-16 to 1 LHTR 3-16 to 21 FAB 3-16 tos 14 FAmb (313a) 4-16 to T/Sgt (from johnson) 5-17 revert to Cpl 6-17 att 54Bn 8-17 rtn T/Sgt 10-17 recom MM awarded MID - for his actions at Polygon Wood between Sept & Oct 1917 to Sgt 2-18 T/att Gas school 5-18 MM - for his actions at Burie sur Ancre 4-7-18 F&B RTA 1914 leave married Gertrude Jones in Parkstone Dorset UK 26-3-18 (British Dorset TF 2 years) later WWII Pte 7Bn VDC (N318062)

The only document shows her as Gertrude Jones, which is her married name, is she a Jones before her marrage?

Both seam to come from Dorset, so they may have known each other before he went to Australia

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

I do have him thanks Steve.

He married Gertrude DAVIS on the 6/2/1918 in Bristol, Gloucestershire (which is where he was born).

Cheers, Frev

Frev,

Thanks Mate, the document shows his NOK and married address as Dorset

'Another member of the MG Sect 2 LHR

KIRKLEY    Launcelot    62    Pte    02 LHR    MG Sect evac to (1 ASH) hosp Lemnos (measles) 6-15 rtn 6-15 WIA 23-7-15 shoulder, arm & foot shrapnel at Popes post evac to (floriana) hosp Malta 7-15 to (Military) hosp Gibralter 8-15 to (King George) hosp London UK 8-15 (G) to MT Dvr AASC 11-15 to 2 AMTD Tidworth UK 2-16 (to hosp (VD) 2-16 rtn 3-16 to MT Dvr AASC AMTS Chelsea UK 9-16 to artificer 9-17 married Lilian at London 8-17 to 1914 leave in UK 2-19 to hosp (influ) 2-19 (C Troop ASqn/1 LH (CQ) CMF 5 years)

One of many AIF soldiers who married as part of the AMTD in Chelsea.

some I think I've already gave you

MENGERSEN    Charles Herman    554    Pte    11 LHR    C Sqn att DSqn/9 LHR 8-15 shown WIA 14-9-15 hand at the Apex on Rhododendron Spur (G) to 50Bn 1-17 MM - for his actions as a runner at Noreuil 2-4-17 F&B to AMTS Chelsea UK 2-19 married Ethel Smith at Chelsea UK 19-7-19 AKA Charles Herman Mengersen brothers Herman Lt 25Bn KIA, Irwin DCM 32Bn and Norman 27Bn

MAWBY    John Wilfred    661    Pte    10 LHR    1R Tos possibly C Sqn? 5-15 (G) to 3 LH Bde HQ 1-16 to Dvr MT AASC AMTS Chelsea UK 1-17 married Bertha Peters in Gillingham UK 18-12-18 

SMITH    Francis    981    Bugler    6 LHR    5R tos A Sqn 10-15 WIA 6-10-15 L/hand shot accident (SIW) reported 1 wounded at Ryries Post amputated fingers evac to hosp Gibraltar 10-15 to (2 southern GH) hosp Bristol UK 11-15 (G) to APayC dates unknown to AIF depot (1 com) Perham Downs UK 8-16 to Dvr MT AASC AMTS Chelsea UK 9-16 to T/Cpl 10-18 married Winifred Felton at Paddington UK 9-12-16 (39 IR to 4Bty/AGA Sydney CMF 4 years)

WHITE    George Tamplin    1834    Pte    7 LHR    13R Tos 1-16 to Dvr 39Bty/10 FAB 3-16 F&B to Dvr MT AMTS Chelsea UK 10-17 att 2 AAuxH Southall 6-18 to NME UK married Elsie Hyde at Uxbridge UK 2-8-19 (FCo CMF)

SMITH    Leslie Robert     12313    Dvr     AASC R LH Bdes LofC    19R July 1916 to AASC Trg depot UK 10-16 to AMTS Chelsea UK 3-17 WIA 9-10-17 head fractured skull accident to 6 MTCo 12-18 F&B married widow Adelaide Fitzgerald at Hammersmith UK 9-11-18 (7 FAmb & (38 IR St Georges Rifles CMF) Brother Arthur AASC

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

25 minutes ago, frev said:

I do have all these marriages thanks Steve :thumbsup:

Launcelot KIRKLEY's wife was Lilian Florence ESSEN

Cheers, Frev

Hey Frev!

I don’t have a name (although looking!)

I recall seeing an article you wrote on discovering anzacs about a marriage of a soldier (overseas of course), he and his wife went in a boat down the river… capsized and they both perished.. recall their names? I can’t seem to find it again!

and a name for the books!

Sydney Cuthbert COLLINGWOOD Married in 1918 in Middlesex

Ernest Alfred LAWRENCE Married on Lemnos, 1915

Fairly well known one, friend of Brigadier Blackburn, VC

ROBIN, Philip de Quetteville married in either 1914 or 15

Edited by tankengine888

23 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

I recall seeing an article you wrote on discovering anzacs about a marriage of a soldier (overseas of course), he and his wife went in a boat down the river… capsized and they both perished.. recall their names? I can’t seem to find it again!

I'm guessing that would be Franz Leslie Kaaden and his wife Mary (nee Cowan)

From Death by accident...

https://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/browse/groupstories/2894

"Franz Leslie Kaaden (Pte 1518) is one of quite a few soldiers who figure in more than one of my databases, and his story is doubly tragic. Married in England on the 6th February 1919, he and his new bride Mary had arrived back in Australia in the August. Later that same year, they were out enjoying the fine summer weather on a boating trip with friends when hit by a sudden squall which capsized the boat. A rescue attempt managed to save their three friends but by this time the couple had disappeared. Mary’s body was washed ashore the following day and she was buried on Christmas Eve."

Thank you for offering up more marriages for the database.  I have 2 of the 3 - Sydney Collingwood's marriage being a new one. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Frev

On 23/02/2022 at 14:22, frev said:

I'm guessing that would be Franz Leslie Kaaden and his wife Mary (nee Cowan)

From Death by accident...

https://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/browse/groupstories/2894

"Franz Leslie Kaaden (Pte 1518) is one of quite a few soldiers who figure in more than one of my databases, and his story is doubly tragic. Married in England on the 6th February 1919, he and his new bride Mary had arrived back in Australia in the August. Later that same year, they were out enjoying the fine summer weather on a boating trip with friends when hit by a sudden squall which capsized the boat. A rescue attempt managed to save their three friends but by this time the couple had disappeared. Mary’s body was washed ashore the following day and she was buried on Christmas Eve."

Thank you for offering up more marriages for the database.  I have 2 of the 3 - Sydney Collingwood's marriage being a new one. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Frev

Well I got 1 on, that’s something.

yes, the one you said was the one I remembered. 
out of curiosity, how many are on the data base?

finding a name for ya…

I remember it was a Major or Lieutenant Colonel, died in Sutton veny, 1927

Hi Frev,

Have you got these men?  They are from Stony Point, Bittern, Crib Point and French Island.

Part of the 199 persons I have researched for a book on the service involvement of those associated with Hastings, Crib Point, Bittern, Stony Point and French Island. I will check the Hastings soldiers tonight.

WE Jennings 5617, TJ Peel 842, A Palk 356, JF Cremin 593, I Griffiths 5377, JL Illif 6334, EW Sisson 6641, CW Walden 20362 and J Yeomans 332

Cheers

Peter

1 hour ago, Peter Beckett said:

WE Jennings 5617, TJ Peel 842, A Palk 356, JF Cremin 593, I Griffiths 5377, JL Illif 6334, EW Sisson 6641, CW Walden 20362 and J Yeomans 332

Many thanks for all these Peter. :thumbsup:

They're all new except for Charles Walden who I already had and Walter Jennings, who was already married before he enlisted.

Cheers, Frev