Frev, Married soldiers

stevenbecker

On 27/02/2022 at 14:12, Peter Beckett said:

D V Evershed 1264

Peter

I do have this one thanks Peter :thumbsup:

Cheers, Frev

On 25/01/2022 at 16:25, frev said:

One of my many on-going projects, the "Married O/S Database" (WW1 only) includes details on all men & women who left Australia in the Australian forces or to serve in other forces etc - and married before returning home.

It currently sits at just over 4,200 - and has a long way to go yet!

Here is one for you- Daniel Lehane Willis

In Jun 1917 he married at Lambeth to Catharine MM Simmons. One of the witnesses was apparently his uncle, a dodgy character from Australia by the name of William Nicholas Willis who had fled Australia due to various scandals and who paid his nephew L50 to marry his mistress and "make an honest woman of her" . William and Catharine had three children by then but he still had a wife back in Australia who he had abandoned with his previous children. Marrying Daniel gave her the surname Willis and was (well obviously) FAR more respectable- this family seems to have had some very odd ideas on morality  :-D.  From a look at Daniels AIF record he appears to have been AWOL at the time of the marriage. Daniel was demobilised back to Australia in 1919 (without, obviously his "wife") where he was almost immediately banged up in prison more than once. 

In the 1930's (I think ) Daniel was arrested once again- this time for being married to his own sister or his niece or ... its all very confusing. This was apparently because the woman he believed to be his mother was actually his grandmother (maybe). There are a number of letters on his service record from Kathleen, Kath, etc all of which appear to be from her but with various name changes along the way. 

This article is mostly about William Nicholas and Catharine discussing who authored books under the name of Bree Narran. https://researchmgt.monash.edu/ws/portalfiles/portal/206722712/3598877_oa.pdf

You will find Daniel's records of imprisonment online (NSW records) and the later scandal on Trove :-D

Thank you for passing this on Meg - all sounds very complicated!
I'll add him to the database, and possibly one day, look into the whole affair a little closer...

Cheers, Frev

Frev,

I am unsure if I already gave you this man before, but his story is interesting?

ARMSTRONG    Herbert    295    Sig/Cpl    02 LHR    B Sqn WIA 26/27-6-15 shell concussion of brain at Popes Post evac to (15 BSH) hosp Mudros (concussion & pyrexia) 6-15 to (2 AGH) hosp Egypt 7-15 rtn 8-15 (G) to A/CSM CCo/CTC 12-1-16 disch to Egyptian CTC prom 2/Lt disch 8-17 SNLR married at British Cousulate at Cairo Egypt 15-11-16 post war rtn to China (British Hong Kong Vol TF 7 years)     British TF    Customs officer    31    Rockhampton Qld    21-8-14    disch 30-9-16 RTA 27-10-17    Royal Park Vic

He appears to have married in Egypt and they had a baby there in 1917, but after being sent home he disappears possibly returned to China

Her story of is shown in his service record, pages 48-49

But who is she?

have fun

S.B

Steve - I did a fair bit of research on this man many years ago.

Herbert Armstrong was one of his aliases and Alice Norton who he married in Egypt was 'one' of his wives - yes, he was a bigamist.

Sadly, he's not on his own when it comes to such circumstances...

Cheers, Frev

Frev,

I would not disagree 

Coming back from the first Gulf war we stopped at a USAF base outside Seattle (McCord) for a few days. One of my soldiers decided he wanted to stay, as a young girl had led him astray?

Without any thought to those at home, he did not make the plane when we left.

What happened to him is never found out as he never came home

S.B

On 06/03/2022 at 07:50, stevebecker said:

Frev,

I would not disagree 

Coming back from the first Gulf war we stopped at a USAF base outside Seattle (McCord) for a few days. One of my soldiers decided he wanted to stay, as a young girl had led him astray?

Without any thought to those at home, he did not make the plane when we left.

What happened to him is never found out as he never came home

S.B

Desertion?

also,

add another one to the list if you haven’t 

George Edward BARNES, 229, Bombardier,

also Steve, didn’t you have an Olson [relative] in France?

Mate,

Yes Patrick / sorry its Peter not Patrick who was another son was from my GGM on the Irish side (but didn't go OS)

My Swedish side lived in Enfield (a suburb of Sydney) during the late 1800's early 1900s, where he (Great Grand father) ran a Bus company for the local area, as a small boy I use to visit the Companies Blacksmith shop, for the horses that pulled the buses, of cause the horses were no longer in use by then, but they still had a few to ride, which I did.

My great uncle came back suffering from what we would call PTSD now days, and didn't talk much. Sad case in later life

Such is life

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

On 07/03/2022 at 12:24, tankengine888 said:

add another one to the list if you haven’t 

George Edward BARNES, 229, Bombardier,

I do already have this one ta :thumbsup:

Cheers, Frev

46 minutes ago, frev said:

I do already have this one ta :thumbsup:

Cheers, Frev

2 questions

1. I may have asked you this before, what made you do this list

2. That photo, your dad or grandad I recall, is it WW1? It looks like the second world war to me, but I'm probably blind.

Cheers.

P.s couldn't find any to give

On 09/03/2022 at 17:28, tankengine888 said:

2 questions

1. I may have asked you this before, what made you do this list

Curiosity?  I honestly can't remember!

2. That photo, your dad or grandad I recall, is it WW1? It looks like the second world war to me, but I'm probably blind.

The photo of my Grandad is definitely WW1:

19 minutes ago, frev said:

Very very nice mate!

Good story too! He looks young, I could say he's only 23!

Frev,

Strange one

GRAHAM    George Ernest Edward    327    Dvr    02 LHR    B Sqn to DCo/13Bn (2002a) 5-15 WIA 7-8-15 L/arm shot at Sari Bair evac to (ADBI) hosp Egypt (wound & VD) 8-15 (G) RTA wounded & VD disch 30-3-16 (British & Boer War Irish Guards 3 years possibly incorrect) later Police records for wife desertion and false pretenses  

His first enlist shows Not married, but other enlistment forms show married?

I am unsure if married overseas possibly after he was RTA in 1915, but why would his forms show married?

I think he was married but didn't claim that when he first enlisted which was corrected in later forms

I did notice his later police records (not in file) to question this mans records?

Have fun

S.B

Frev,

Again another I think we discussed some time ago but still have not found any details?

HANNINGTON    Ernest Clifford    337    Pte    02 LHR    B Sqn B Troop WIA 19-6-15 R/foot shrapnel near Quinns post evac to (1 AGH) hosp Egypt 6-15 (G) rtn 1-16 att WFF 1-16 T/att 1 LH Bde HQ to ER 2/Cpl AProvC Cairo 7-17 to T/Sgt (from page) 5-19 RTA with Wife Maude married in Egypt? father Henry ex British Army in India worked in Britian during war brothers Harold 1 FAB KIA and Walter HAB

Still not found who she is?

S.B

On 12/03/2022 at 08:58, stevebecker said:

Frev,

Strange one

GRAHAM    George Ernest Edward    327    Dvr    02 LHR    B Sqn to DCo/13Bn (2002a) 5-15 WIA 7-8-15 L/arm shot at Sari Bair evac to (ADBI) hosp Egypt (wound & VD) 8-15 (G) RTA wounded & VD disch 30-3-16 (British & Boer War Irish Guards 3 years possibly incorrect) later Police records for wife desertion and false pretenses  

His first enlist shows Not married, but other enlistment forms show married?

I am unsure if married overseas possibly after he was RTA in 1915, but why would his forms show married?

I think he was married but didn't claim that when he first enlisted which was corrected in later forms

I did notice his later police records (not in file) to question this mans records?

Have fun

S.B

Steve - George Ernest Edward GRAHAM married Barbara Cecilia ROSS 4/5/1916 in Qld.

Cheers, Frev

On 13/03/2022 at 08:34, stevebecker said:

Frev,

Again another I think we discussed some time ago but still have not found any details?

HANNINGTON    Ernest Clifford    337    Pte    02 LHR    B Sqn B Troop WIA 19-6-15 R/foot shrapnel near Quinns post evac to (1 AGH) hosp Egypt 6-15 (G) rtn 1-16 att WFF 1-16 T/att 1 LH Bde HQ to ER 2/Cpl AProvC Cairo 7-17 to T/Sgt (from page) 5-19 RTA with Wife Maude married in Egypt? father Henry ex British Army in India worked in Britian during war brothers Harold 1 FAB KIA and Walter HAB

Still not found who she is?

S.B

Sorry Steve - all I have is that he married Maud TALBOT in Egypt - never found when...

Cheers, Frev

Frev,

Thanks mate always good to fill in the holes.

TE 888

Mate I found his details on the Archives site

OLSEN John Peter : Service Number - 7143 : Place of Birth - Sydney NSW : Place of Enlistment - Sydney NSW : Next of Kin - (Father) OLSEN Oliver

His father Ollie (My GGF) came from the Island of Oust on the West coast of Sweden in the 1880's, he was a seaman on ships out of Goterdam, who jumped ship like many did in those days during the gold rush in Sydney.

I always knew him as Peter.

S.B

• 2 weeks later...

Got one,

781 William Bennett, 2nd Pioneers, AIF.

Wedding Day photo of William Bennett and Rose Eveline Pearce London, England, 13th June 1917. William was Killed three months later in Belgium. Kayes Imagery, Vintage Weddings. Submitted by Lyn.

562D606B-00C1-4096-B937-564B284489EC.jpeg

On 23/03/2022 at 08:51, tankengine888 said:

781 William Bennett, 2nd Pioneers, AIF.

Wedding Day photo of William Bennett and Rose Eveline Pearce London, England, 13th June 1917. William was Killed three months later in Belgium. Kayes Imagery, Vintage Weddings. Submitted by Lyn.

Many thanks - this couple are new to the database - (making 219 men listed so far that didn't survive the war)

Cheers, Frev

• 2 weeks later...

Frev,

Mate I don't know about this bloke but his change of NOK to wife when he claims he is not married clause some to think

GLOSTER    Richard William Vere    773    Pte    02 LHR    3R Tos A Sqn? 7-15 evac to (1 AGH) hosp Egypt (dysentry) 8-15 (G) rtn to L/Cpl (from clayton) 12-15 att WFF 1-16 revert to MG Sect 5-16 T/att (MG course) school of Instruction Zeitoun 5-16 to 1 LH MGS 7-16 to Sgt 8-16 to SQMS SHQ 2-17 to hosp (septic sores) 6-17 rtn 7-17 to hosp (septic sores & VD) 12-17 to MG Trg Sqn 4-18 to hosp (jaundice) 8-18 to rest camp 10-18 rtn 1 LH MGS 2-19 married ? (RNR SubLt 4 years)     Overseer    age 28    Ormiston Qld    16-12-14    RTA 16-5-19    NoK Ormiston Qld

His NOK is shown as Thomas Gloster, but changed to wife a

Mrs GL Gloster

21 Ackros st Oxford Road 

Manchester UK

He does not show any move to the UK to get married, so where and when did he marry?

One for your special talents

S.B

2 hours ago, stevebecker said:

Frev,

Mate I don't know about this bloke but his change of NOK to wife when he claims he is not married clause some to think

GLOSTER    Richard William Vere    773    Pte    02 LHR    3R Tos A Sqn? 7-15 evac to (1 AGH) hosp Egypt (dysentry) 8-15 (G) rtn to L/Cpl (from clayton) 12-15 att WFF 1-16 revert to MG Sect 5-16 T/att (MG course) school of Instruction Zeitoun 5-16 to 1 LH MGS 7-16 to Sgt 8-16 to SQMS SHQ 2-17 to hosp (septic sores) 6-17 rtn 7-17 to hosp (septic sores & VD) 12-17 to MG Trg Sqn 4-18 to hosp (jaundice) 8-18 to rest camp 10-18 rtn 1 LH MGS 2-19 married ? (RNR SubLt 4 years)     Overseer    age 28    Ormiston Qld    16-12-14    RTA 16-5-19    NoK Ormiston Qld

His NOK is shown as Thomas Gloster, but changed to wife a

Mrs GL Gloster

21 Ackros st Oxford Road 

Manchester UK

He does not show any move to the UK to get married, so where and when did he marry?

One for your special talents

S.B

Lets see..
Born 8th July 1885 in Pallasgreany, Limerick, Ireland.
Son was killed in 1944,
Flight Sergeant Edward Fitzgibbon Gloster [30 Jan 1944]
He himself died 30th March 1962 in Bateau Bay, NSW
Richard William Vere Gloster | Discovering Anzacs | National Archives of  Australia and Archives NZ
Dick Gloster 1943-1944
Dick Gloster close up
That's Robert William Vere Gloster, First and Second World Wars.

on the 19th July 1909[Bristol, Gloustershire], he married a Lilian Gladys Harrill [1885-??], she bore him a daughter, Lillian G Marion Gloster [1911-??]

On the 1st September 1920[Queensland, Aus], he remarried to Kathleen Genevieve De Warren

It seems Lillian G Marion Gloster was born on the 6th January 1911 in Bristol, and in the 1911 census, she is granddaughter to the head.
Richard arrived in Sydney on the 27th February 1911.

I assume that this does not fit on Frev's research thing.. but I suspect he abandoned his first wife.

TE 888,

Mate thank you, we have seen this before, where soldiers start to claim there old wife's 

Its possible he reconected with her or more likely he found he could claim more money for being married, who knows

Some times the wife goes looking and when he's found to get the Army to send her money for the child

Its better to get support from a so called, dead beat dad

Yes does not fall into Frev list.

S.B