Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

19th officer cadet I’d love if any one recognised any names

arantxa

23 hours ago, PRC said:

Interesting. Many of the Officers and at least one of the Senior NCO's appear to be wearing a medal ribbon which is the same as that worn by George Penny. But I'm only spotting one other rank wearing it - (btw, that's not a full Battalion :)

I think it may be the same ribbon on display on two of the NCO's on the other picture you've kindly posted.

The British War Medal wasn't authorised by an Army Order until the 26th July 1919 and the first 250 miles of ribbon was issued to stores on the 4th August 1919. The Victory Medal authorisation followed subsequently. So if the picture was taken in July 1919, the most likely medal ribbon on display is the one used for both the 1914 Star and the 1914/15 Star.

As George was commissioned in 1917 that would make it likely he had seen service in a Theatre of War while in the ranks and before the 1st January 1916.

I'm still not finding a Medal Index Card for him, so he may never have actually applied for the medals.

His service prior to his commissioning may be set out in a piece that appeared in the edition of the Buchan Observer and East Aberdeenshire Advertiser dated 25th September 1917. It can be sourced in full either via subscription to the British Newspaper Archive, or via the relevant subscription level to either FindMyPast and (I believe) Ancestry.  You may also like the other piece from post-war.

Hi Peter

Re- the medal ribbons I know a number of the men in the battalion were awarded a variety of medals on the 3rd & 4th January of 1919 from the battalion war diary (below). His daughter has his Military Cross, not sure about the WW1 trio. 

Not sure when he joined up though suspect it was early in the war - we have a couple of photos of him as a very young looking sergeant. I haven't been able to find anything concrete.

The two articles above didn't give any new service details - though they were very interesting thanks! Apparently he was fined 25 shillings for speeding in 1925 (18mph in a 10mph zone!) :lol: 

Slide29 - Copy.JPG

Thats fascinating Thank you