Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coucy Le Chateau May 1917

GROBBY

I have just bought your 2 books and hope to get a lot of information from them . For King and Kaiser has just arived and looks brillant . I have found some more Saxony Regiments and shortly post them when  knittinganddeath is ready .Being another Essex boy I will have to get you to sign them some day .I have at least 10 postcards

9 minutes ago, GROBBY said:

I have just bought your 2 books and hope to get a lot of information from them . For King and Kaiser has just arived and looks brillant . I have found some more Saxony Regiments and shortly post them when  knittinganddeath is ready .Being another Essex boy I will have to get you to sign them some day .I have at least 10 postcards

Thankyou, very much appreciated! :) I'll be delighted to sign your books when I get the chance. Under normal circumstances I do a lot of reenactment, and intend to appear at 'Temple at War' (near Braintree) this September.

Some of the regiments on the postcards are 2 Batt 177 Inf Regt 21.7.16..  12 Field Art Regt  9.6.15 .103 Inf Regt  27.5.15 .. 9/106 Inf Regt 2.5.17... 104 Res Inf Regt 26.4.16...1/20 Inf Regt  21.11.16

1 hour ago, GROBBY said:

Some of the regiments on the postcards are 2 Batt 177 Inf Regt 21.7.16..  12 Field Art Regt  9.6.15 .103 Inf Regt  27.5.15 .. 9/106 Inf Regt 2.5.17... 104 Res Inf Regt 26.4.16...1/20 Inf Regt  21.11.16

All of these except "1/20 Inf Regt" are certainly Saxon.

Ok I work for Stow Maries Great War Airdrome and sometimes we have a stand at the show so could see you there

Splendid! :) I'll be the one dressed in Saxon Feldartillerie uniform... my portrait is on the jacket of 'Fighting the Kaiser's War'.

Have enjoyed all the other conversation so much! Here's the other letter/postcard.

Abs. Untffz.

Lang Carl 3 Comp

Armierungs Batll 136

Deutsche Feldpost 338

An Gefreiter

Franz Herrmann

nicht 8/13

Res. Feld. Art. Regt. 13

III. Abteilung 8. Batterie

. . . . . Nachrichtenschule 2 unbekannt

den 4. Sept. 17.

Lieber Schwager Franz!

Für soeben erhaltene Carte vom

29.8 besten Dank. freute mich sehr

wie ich sehe geht es bei Dir mein Lieber

soweit noch gut, was ja bei mir auch

noch der Fall ist. Mit den Schwarzwälder

Boten werde ich es für mich besorgen.

Habe ja Heute auch ein Schreiben von

Dorten erhalten. Z. Zt. wieder besseres

Wetter bei uns.

Sonst nichts neues

Für heute sei herz. gegrüsst

Dein Schwager Carl

From: Unteroffizier Carl Lang, 3rd company, Armierungs Bataillon 136, Deutsche Feldpost 338

To: Gefreiter Franz Hermann Res. Feld. Artl. Regt. 13, III. Division, 8th Battery.

Someone has written in red: "not with 8/13" and "unknown according? to army intelligence school 2"

4 September 1917

Dear Brother-in-Law Franz!

Thank you for your recent card of 29.8, I was very happy [to receive it]. As I can see, you are doing well, my dear, and for the time being so am I. I will arrange [delivery of] the Schwarzwälder Boten (1) for myself. Today I also got a letter from Dorten. Now there is better weather at home again. Nothing else new. With warm greetings for you today, your brother-in-law Carl

1) Schwarzwälder Boten is a regional newspaper founded in 1835 that serves the Black Forest and Upper Neckar region.

1 hour ago, knittinganddeath said:

Abs. Untffz.

Lang Carl 3 Comp

Armierungs Batll 136

Deutsche Feldpost 338

An Armierungs-Bataillon was a labour battalion of the 'unarmed Landsturm', consisting of men rated (for any reason) as 'fit for labour' but not 'fit for combat'. They were popularly known as Schipper (shovellers). As originally conceived this type of unit was intended to be used to develop the outerworks (Armierungen) of fortresses, but under trench warfare conditions they became a mobile reserve of unskilled labour which reduced manpower demands on the infantry.

As a very rough idea of how numerous they were, the Saxon Army formed a total of fourteen of these battalions during the war as opposed to fifty-six armed Landsturm infantry battalions (not all of which actually existed at any one time). Armierungs-Bataillon 136 was not one of the Saxon ones.

Although they were not equipped, trained or intended for combat, we know of at least one instance where an Armierungs-Bataillon was armed and sent into action in an emergency (Saxon Armierungs-Bataillon 23, on the Hartmannsweilerkopf in the Vosges in spring 1915).

Nr. 105: Kalksteinbruch bei Reims

Abs. Soldat E. Bormann

2/179

An

Herrn Albert Bormann

Dresden - A. 24

Werderstr. 2

Im Feld, 20.7.16.

Lieber Albert!

Einen herzl. Kartengruss heute.

Umsehend eine Aufnahme unseres

Bruches nach der Einnähmen im

Herbst 1914. Jetzt macht der Bruch

natürlich einen ganz anderen

festungsartigen Eindruck, wie du

auch im jetzt gesandten grossen Photogra

phien gesehen haben magst.

Es grüsst dich u. Jannel? herzlich. Erwin

Number 105: Limestone quarry near Reims

(The card is stamped S.B. 2./J.R. 177)

To: Mr Albert Bormann, Dresden - A. 24, Werderstr. 2

In the field, 20.7.16

Dear Albert! A warm postcard greeting today. On the reverse [of the card] a picture of our quarry after its capture in the fall of 1914. The quarry now makes a completely different fortress-like impression, as you may have seen in the large photographs that have now been sent. Warm greetings to you and Jannel?. Erwin

Unterstandshütten

Abs. Gefr. W. Uhlig, 9/. . ./106

An. Frau Frieda Uhlig

Leutzsch b/Leipzig

Hauptstr. 81

Meine liebe Frieda

Deinen lieben Brief #25 & auch

die Zeitungsbrief #26 erhäld ich ges-

tern, ich danke dir recht herzlich. Ich bin

bloss froh, endlich Gewissheit über der 2.

Packet zu haben. Ich möchte dich bitten

für mich nichts zu senden erst kommt

Ihr. Heute abend werde ich dir ausführ

lich schreiben. Mit der gleichen Post

sende ich dir heute noch zwei . . . Pak

kete und auch ein grosses Packet.

Sonst müsste ich heute nichts werden.

Mit den herzl. Grüssen und Kussen ver

bleibe ich dein Walther

Underground cabins

(Stamped 9th company Res. Inf? Regt? . . .) (1)

An. Frau Frieda Uhlig

Leutzsch b/Leipzig

Hauptstr. 81

To Mrs Frieda Uhlig, Leutzsch near Leipzig, Hauptstr. 81

Yesterday I received your dear letter #25 & newspaper letter #26, thank you very much. I'm just happy to finally have certainty about the 2nd package. I would like to ask you not to send anything for me until you come (2). Tonight I will write to you in detail. I'll send you two more . . . . packages by the same post today also a large package. Otherwise what would I be today! Warmest greetings and kisses, I remain your Walther

1) The 53 seems to indicate number of letters or postcards that he has sent; it seems his wife also numbered her letters.

2) Not sure whether I read this correctly. If he was garrisoned domestically, perhaps she could come to visit? Or else I have completely misunderstood.

16 hours ago, knittinganddeath said:

1) The 53 seems to indicate number of letters or postcards that he has sent; it seems his wife also numbered her letters.

2) Not sure whether I read this correctly. If he was garrisoned domestically, perhaps she could come to visit? Or else I have completely misunderstood.

1) Yes. Because the delivery of the mail was often hampered by various reasons. Therefore it was common practice by the senders to number their letters and parcels, so they could check whether or not they had received all that was sent.

2) Yes. ;-) He said, they should not send any more letters etc. to him, until he had sent them something first.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Sorry it took so long. I looked at the cards and it felt like a switch went off in my brain and I couldn't read anything. So unfortunately, I haven't managed to decipher the most interesting bits :-( but here are some broad strokes...

An. Fräulein Martha Mehnert

Baumanns-Restaurant

Steinigwolmsdorf

i/Sachsen

Frankreich, 25.3.1915

Liebe Martha! Will dir wenigstens

heute ein paar Worte schreiben denn

auf den versprochenen Brief wirst du

wohl noch ein Weilchen warten müssen

denn jetzt ist die . . . wieder einmahl

gnapp? drotz dem wir jetzt wieder im . . .

liegen. Das sind eben die sogenannten Ruhe?

lage. Was machst du denn immer

Hast du meine Post alle erhalten. Ich

selbst erwarte heute einen Brief von dir

Hoffendlich freu ich mich nicht umsonst

Oder doch? Sonst geht es mir ganz gut.

Hoffe auch daselbe von dir. Es grüsst Dein . . . . Paul

Bitte grüss . . . . und alle von mir.

To: Miss Martha Mehnert, c/o Baumanns Restaurant, Steinigwolmsdorf in Saxony

France, 25.3.1915

Dear Martha! I want to write you at least a few words today since you will probably have to wait a bit longer for the promised letter because now . . . once again . . . . although we are now lying at . . . . That is the so-called Rest Camp. What are you doing these days? Have you received all my mail? I myself am awaiting a letter from you today. Hopefully I'm not looking forward to nothing. Or am I? Otherwise I'm doing well. I hope the same is true of you. Greetings from your. . . . Paul. Please say hello to . . . and everyone from me.

Feldpostkarte.

Abs. Hauptmann Ehrenberg

Ersatzbtl. Eisenbahnrgt. 4

Transport?

An.

Frau Regierungsbaumeister Ehrenberg

Rendsburg

Reventloustr. 2

Liebstes Liebchen!

Um 6 Uhr in Soest Kaffe getrunken

und nun geht es weiter durch das

grün. . .t u. blühende Westfalenland.

Gestern abend war . . . u. . . .

Ringelheim. Wir konnten dort

3/4 Stundent zusammen sein. Sie lasse

dich bestens grüssen. Gleich kommen

wir durch Hamm. Münster bleibt

leicher rechts? liegen. Es geht über Köln.

Von Soest ab sind wir einen Personen-

zug angefangen, währen wir bis

dahin in einem EIlgutezug fuhren.

Jetzt geht es natürlich schneller, leider.

Das Eisenbahn fahren als alleiniger

Inhaber? eines?  . . . . .  scheint eine

. . . Schwäche? zu sein. Wie geht's

bei Euch? Hoffentlich seid ihr alle

wohl und Munter.

Viele herzliche Grüsse. . . . . .

Ersatzbtl. Eisenbahnrgt. 4 - railroad regiment?

Transport

To: Mrs Ehrenberg, Wife of Government Master Builder Ehrenberg

Rendsburg

Reventloustr. 2

Dearest Darling! Drank coffee at 6 o'clock in Soest and now we're off again through the green and blooming Westfalen country. Yesterday evening . . . in Ringelheim. We spent 3/4 of an hour there together. She sends you warm greetings. Now we are going through Hamm. Unfortunately Münster is too far away. We are going over Cologne. At Soest we changed to a passenger train, while before that we had been in an express goods train. Now it's naturally going faster -- too bad. Riding the railways as the lone holder of . . . . seems to be a . . . weakness. How are you all doing? Hopefully you are all well and cheerful. Many warm greetings. . . . .

The card is postmarked Holzwickede. I plotted part of his route in Google Maps.

1724001185_ScreenShot2021-04-21at15_57_37.png.4f74cb7520915d0d38c61cf55a953585.png

Thank you for doing this and the extra information . Do not worry about anything im just glad of getting anything I can done. If you want to stop for a while its no problem

No, sorry, didn't mean to give the impression that I can't do more --  just meant to explain why they're so incomplete. I'm pretty sure that this was just a freak occurrence and if you just post something new it'll be OK.

These were much easier!

The group photo

No return address; stamped SB JRMLW . . . 9. Komp and 28. Infanterie-Div.

An

Familien P. Herrmann

Handlung

Klepsau

. . . Krautheim

Baden

geschr. d. 8. März 1916

L[iebe] Eltern u[nd] Geschwister!

Teile Euch mit

dass ich eben die

Karte 79 und Paket 80

erhalten habe. Ich

bin noch gesund was

ich auch von euch Allen

hoffe. Mit Grus[s] u[nd]

baldiges Wiedersehen

Julius

To: Family of P. Herrmann

Shop

Klepsau, Krautheim, Baden

Written on 8 March 1916

Dear Parents and Siblings!

Letting you know that I just received Card 79 and Parcel 80. I am still healthy and hope that you are too. Greetings and [to a] speedy reunion. Julius.

Unfortunately no indication of which one he might be in the photograph!

Wervicq

Abs. Wehrmann Bühler 6/127

An. Fräulein Marie Heim

in Kempten i/Allgäu

Bayern

57 Haslacher Str.

geschrieben den 17/1. 1916

Liebe Nichte!

Auf die Anfrage, ob ich das Paket

vom 23. dez. erhalten habe, will

ich dir sofort Antwort geben.

Ich habe am 5. januar eines

erhalten u. dir sofort eine

Karte geschickt. Vielleicht hast

du sie jetzt erhalten. Sonst

geht es mir gut.

Schlies[s]e mein schreiben unter herz

lichen Grüssen dein Onkel Nikolaus R.

To: Miss Marie Heim in Kempten in Allgäu, Bavaria, Haslacher Street No. 57

Writtten on 17 January 1916

Dear Niece!

I will immediately answer the question of whether I have received the parcel of 23 December. I received a parcel on 5 January and immediately sent you a card. Perhaps you have now received it. Otherwise I'm doing well. Will finish this letter with warm greetings from your uncle Nikolaus R.

On 17/04/2021 at 19:25, knittinganddeath said:

Number 105: Limestone quarry near Reims

From: Soldier E. Bormann, 2/179(The card is stamped S.B. 2./J.R. 177)

The unit here is most definitely IR 177 (32. Inf. Div.), despite that handwritten '7' which indeed looks very like a '9'... IR 179 was a long way further north on a completely different front. The quarry is a much-photographed location near Hill 108 (Berry-au-Bac) north of Reims. 

An. Frau Frieda Uhlig

Leutzsch b/Leipzig

Hauptstr. 81

The unit here is RIR 106 (123. Inf. Div.) which was on the Wilija in Belarus at this time. Please see my piece on 4. Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillon Leipzig XIX.4 for more details including a map and some trench shots from this front. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/german1914/permalink/907799803398397/

Edited by bierast

Feldpostbrief

Abs. Landst. P. Meineke

26. R. AK. R.J.Rgt. 233

51 R. Div. II. Battl. 6. Komp

An.

Fräul. Berta Meineke

Lehrerin

Konstanz

Brauneggerstr. 30

Bodensee

Aus Flandern 15.7.15

Liebe Schwester Berta!

Empfing gestern mit

grösster Freude deine feinen Liebes-

gaben mit den so lieben Zeilen.

Besonders freut es mich,

dass meine Zeilen beim blonden

Bäckerstöchterchen so freundliche

Aufnahm gefunden.

Wenn ich mir doch daraus ein

Anzeichen der Erfüllung meines

schon längst ersehnten Glückes

sehen dürfte. Ich glaube dass

die beiden Bäckertöchterchen,

die Blonde und die Schwarze,

mit mir eine kleine Schelmerei

getrieben haben. Es antwortete

mir nämlich ein Fräulein

Anna während du dein

Namen Luise nennst.

Ich weiss nun nicht wer

von uns beiden in Irrtum

ist. Die hauptsache ist, dass

das liebe Blondinchen weiss

wer meine Annäherungs-

versuche gelten sollen.

Ich werde es als schön-

sten u. begehrenswerte Ehre-

lohn nach meiner gesunden

Rückkehr ansehen, wenn ich

in Ihr mein heimlich er-

sehntes Ziel finden würde.

Bezüglich bis-

herigen Gesundheit darfst

du, liebe Berta, ganz be-

ruhigt sein. Die ständige

Aufenthalt in Gottesfreier

Natur in von günstig-

stem Einfluss auf mein

eiwigen Katar[r]h.

Trotz schlechter Witterung

oder anstrengendstes Tätigkeit

ist es mit dem Husten eher

besser geworden. Manchmal

hat man ja durch unregelmässiges

Essen oder das schlechte Wasser

schnell vorübergehend Magen-

beschwerden.

Sind z. Zt. für 5 Tage in

Ruhe. Zu Nordweste ereignet

sich sonst nichts nennenswert

neues. Vor einigen Tagen

sahen wir etwa 600 mtr von

uns hinter unseren Graben

einen franzs. Fliege senk-

recht abstiegen, ein schauder

haften Anblick, wenn er

uns auch mit hoher Befein

digung erfüllte.

Ganz gesund und stets

frohen Mutes grüsst dich

von ganzem Herzen dein

dich liebhabender u. dankbarer

Bruder Paul

Feldpostbrief

From: Landsturmmann P. Meineke, 26. R. AK. RIR 233, 51 R. Div. II. Battl. 6. Komp

To: Miss Berta Meineke, Teacher, Konstanz, Brauneggerstr. 30, Lake Constance

From Flanders, 15 July 1915

Dear Sister Berta!

With great pleasure and heartfelt thanks I received your care package with those very dear lines of verse.

In particular I was glad that my verse was so well received by the baker's blonde daughter.

If only I could see a sign of the fulfillment of my long-awaited happiness in that! I think that the baker's two daughters, the blonde one and the dark one, have played a little trick on me. Namely, I received a reply from a Miss Anna whereas you mentioned the name Luise. I don't know if it was you or I that erred. The main thing is that the dear blonde knows for whom my advances are intended.

I will look upon it as the most beautiful and desirable reward after my healthy return if I find my secretly longed-for goal in her.

Concerning my health, dear Berta, you do not need to worry. The continuing stay in God's free nature a most favourable influence on my unending postnasal drip. Despite bad weather and strenuous activity, my cough has gotten better. Sometimes one gets temporary stomach upsets due to irregular eating or the bad water.

We are at rest for the next 5 days. Nothing else of note happening to the northwest. A few days ago, about 600 meters from us, behind our trench, we saw a French plane descending vertically, a sight to behold, even if it filled us with much animosity.

Wholly healthy and always in good spirits, your loving and thankful brother Paul sends you very warm regards.

45 minutes ago, knittinganddeath said:

even if it filled us with much animosity.

Well done. However actually it says " wenn es uns auch mit hoher Befriedigung erfüllte" = though it gave us great satisfaction."

GreyC

Thank you GreyC! I did think something was a bit off with my reading. This makes much more sense.

Thank you both especialy knittinganddeath for a very long translation.It looks like he really fancys the blonde lady ,I wonder if they did get together in the end .I have tryed to find the french aircraft that came down but cant find one in the flanders area of that date. His unit was in the Poelcappelle Langemark St Julian area .I have 6 cards from the same person from 1915 1916 1918. I will post the first 2

1351222628_img001(4).jpg.b6c04348d2367223b51422a2af228dcf.jpg

2056512934_img002(3).jpg.49e9174c83749b7c22f7a2c8b5c9f351.jpg

img001 (2).pdf

img002 (2).pdf

img001 (4).jpg

img002 (3).jpg

img001.pdf img002.pdf

Sorry not the last person but another person Thanks

The first one was written with problems in German grammar. It comes from a soldier of the 1st Garde Division (2nd Garde Regiment) and is send to a Miss Timmermann (his daughter) in Hamburg:

Lagny, 26.11.1915

Liebe [sic] Mariechen,

Schicke Dir auch eine Karte

zum Andenken an den bösen

Krieg in Frankreich, hoffentlich

hat es bald ein ende [sic] und

ich wieder zu Hause komme [sic]

Viele Grüße von deinem lieben Vater

Dear Mariechen (Mary)

Send you a card as a souvenir of the evil war in France. Hopefully it is over soon and I home. Many greetings from your father.

The 2nd card has just Xmas greetings on it.

Edited by GreyC

The second card as GreyC said is just a Christmas greeting.

Frankreich, 18.12.15

Liebe Mariechen

Viele herzliche

Weihnachtsgrüsse von

deinem lieben Vater

France, 18.12. 15

Dear little Mary, many warm Christmas greetings from your dear/loving father