Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Always in Pals Regiments?

sc-em

On 26/06/2020 at 20:42, clk said:

Hi,

The tree links him via a SWB record to #33029 in the RAMC - enlisted 5.9.1914, discharged due to sickness 10.11.1915 with no overseas service. Fold3 have a couple of linked pension index cards (link) which indicate that Harold and Archie served with the RFA.

image.png.4c1a7fe05dda616d50ebe0870f0bb38e.png

image.png.97c38e7519d7c14616df3ecd4b909edf.png

Images sourced from Fold3

Regards

Chris

The William Fred, the older brother, Craig. BEF discharged 1915.

Hi,

1 hour ago, sc-em said:

The William Fred, the older brother, Craig. BEF discharged 1915.

His SWB record indicates that he didn't serve overseas, so he wouldn't have been part of the BEF.

In terms of your earlier post about finding a service record, I don't think there is one that survives. Most were lost as the result of a bombing raid in WW2 (- link), so finding 2 out of 3 is a pretty good result. 

In terms of your query about trying to research soldiers, and is FMP enough? My personal opinion is that ideally access to both FMP and Ancestry would be good. They do have some overlapping records, and some that don't. There is also a difference between whether they have actual images of the records, or just a transcription. If FMP have images, they tend to be of a better scan quality than those on Ancestry. I also find FMP far easier to search.

Regards

Chris

Edit:

There is a brief review of the main websites by the founder of this forum here

Edited by clk

My research into individual service personnel, is also linked to family backgrounds and their lives. I find both FMP and Ancestry essential, as much for the latter as the former. membership of the WFA also opens the door to the pension records, which can be crucial in resolving some identification and family issues.  Then of course I have a few traces to follow up on Ancestry Worldwide, so I'm eagerly waiting to use the Library edition when my local archives open. if I lived in Scotland I suspect that Scotland's people would be at least as essential.

Thanks both. My mum has membership of FMP and Ancestry, WFA? so I should be able to find out what i can about my soldier relatives including the great uncle on my mum's side who emigrated and then came back with the ANZACS. Could be interesting.

Hi Sean,

Come on, spit it out -  what do you already know about them? As far as I'm aware, neither FMP nor Ancestry are particularly good for Anzac troops.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

I have asked my mum to send me what she knows. All I know at present on my maternal grandfather's side there was a Ben and Tom Farrington and on her mother's side two brother called Edward and William Knowles. The former were the two returning ANZACS.

IMG_0828.JPG

IMG_0829.JPG

IMG_0830.JPG

On 30/06/2020 at 18:00, sc-em said:

Thanks both. My mum has membership of FMP and Ancestry, WFA? so I should be able to find out what i can about my soldier relatives including the great uncle on my mum's side who emigrated and then came back with the ANZACS. Could be interesting.

Sean,

Without telling you how to post on GWF - but I think you might get an even better response if you split this thread [ask the Moderators - you can use the 'Report post' as a means] and thus post as a new thread or at least split the Brits and ANZACS so that our ANZAC & antipodean pals can more easily pick up on that side of your family for you.

All the best.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418

10 minutes ago, sc-em said:

Thanks. I don't want to fall foul of the moderators, so please advise away.

It's not really about you falling foul of the mods - just perhaps helping you get an even better response(s) for the other side of your wider British family [and wider still!]

I personally would probably start as two more new threads [this one is probably rather long already!] - but probably would help avoid repetition of effort if not into four [but that would be another option if you really wished - but might actually get combined by the mods back into pairs!!]

• Ben and Tom Farrington ANZACs [usually "Discovering Anzacs" works well - but my search and link doesn't seem to be working at all today - ??] - Aussie or Kiwi?  [I'm guessing as a slouch hat in the photo, and not a lemon-squeezer, that it will probably be Aussies! - though I could easily be proved wrong!! ;-/]

and

• Edward and William Knowles

Shouldn't fall foul of mods [I believe!] and should help you get a better response all round [I would also believe!]

If you want you can also make reference here to any new thread(s) [and there too] - that would help if by any chance any cross-related facts actually turned up.

As before, if you can - please try and help us out with a bit of genealogy first [DoB, PoB, Parents, NoK, place(s) etc.] - so we can cross-check and link to military records - unless of course you have actually got their full military details, but wider background can still also help further.

Just my thoughts - over to you.

:-) M

Possibly Thomas Farrington, born Leigh, Lancashire?. He was 23 years old when he enlisted towards the end of 1915 and working as a Loco Firemen. His mother Agnes was still living in Lancashire.

Served in the Australian Artillery, was shipped to France where he was wounded in action in September 1917. After treatment in the UK he was sent back to Australia in February 1918.

He was discharged as a result of his wounds in May 1918.

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=3549437&isAv=N

Apart from an Ebenezer, (born Sydney, New South Wales), there is no obvious candidate for a Ben. Nor do any of the other Farringtons who served with the Australian Army appear to have a next of kin called Agnes.

There is a Louis Farrington, born Heaton Mersey, Manchester, but his mother is an Elizabeth.

I'm not seeing anything in the three pictures to suggest anything more than 1 Australian soldier - but I'm no expert on uniforms and badges. Is it possible that Ben, like so many, went out after the war and so served in the British Army rather than the Australian?

Cheers,

Peter

The Thomas sounds about right, but as for the Ben, I am only going by a photo with a caption my mum sent me some time ago. i am still awaiting her DOB info and then start new threads as per advice.

Thanks again, both.