Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

43 minutes ago, dickaren said:

1994, good spot

That’s the decade I spent an awful lot of time visiting France & Belgium, slowly dried up somewhat, especially around when the centenary celebrations were in full flow, became a bit more costly and of course since we’ve had bloody Covid. Looking at next year now😁

• Admin

What about this? Two cemeteries. IMG_1278.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Knotty said:

That’s the decade I spent an awful lot of time visiting France & Belgium, slowly dried up somewhat, especially around when the centenary celebrations were in full flow, became a bit more costly and of course since we’ve had bloody Covid. Looking at next year now😁

Likewise, used to go 3-4 times a year during the nineties. Often dawn until dusk. I have not been since 2019 and probably will not go again until I have had my hip replacement done.

1 hour ago, dickaren said:

St.Marys ADS and Ninth Avenue?

If you are correct Richard, and I'd have a small wager that you are, I'm wondering if Madame Young's viewpoint might be Lone Tree? If I'm reading the map correctly there should be a third cemetery, Bois Carré just out of frame. Unless I am, very much mistaken as Murray Walker would say. 

Pete.

9 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

If you are correct Richard, and I'd have a small wager that you are, I'm wondering if Madame Young's viewpoint might be Lone Tree? If I'm reading the map correctly there should be a third cemetery, Bois Carré just out of frame. Unless I am, very much mistaken as Murray Walker would say. 

Pete.

I would agree with your location for the pic(providing we are right with the cemeteries)

Richard

3 minutes ago, dickaren said:

I would agree with your location for the pic(providing we are right with the cemeteries)

Given Michelle's 'previous' visiting and photographing the location it's not rocket surgery on my part, or indeed brain science. I'll be amused if I am barking up the wrong Lone Tree.

Pete.

• Admin

Spot on chaps, and  I was stood by Lone Tree. 

• Admin

There’s a man from Castle Combe buried here, by the wall. Died of wounds 1st July 1916.

Another 1990’s photograph @dickaren,  I think this Dive Copse British Cemetery at Sailly-Le-Sec

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

There’s a man from Castle Combe buried here, by the wall. Died of wounds 1st July 1916.

You must know where this is then😁😁

31 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Another 1990’s photograph @dickaren,  I think this Dive Copse British Cemetery at Sailly-Le-Sec

You must know where this is then😁😁

Correct Knotty. Michelle's Castle Combe man's friend who he joined up with is buried in Dantzig Alley

Richard

• Admin

Here’s Harry in Danzig Alley, Stanley remembered on his parents headstone, and the Castle Combe War memorials. (The Pte E Young is the man in my signature, wrongly attributed to the 2nd Glosters) 

IMG_0907.jpeg

34AD5F4B-A152-4231-8243-33BBF050E6C7.jpeg

78A0E347-22D3-414F-B125-72A891F9A61E.jpeg

7F246B3E-F26B-4A37-A171-86911124DE83.jpeg

10 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Here’s Harry in Danzig Alley, Stanley remembered on his parents headstone, and the Castle Combe War memorials. (The Pte E Young is the man in my signature, wrongly attributed to the 2nd Glosters) 

IMG_0907.jpeg

34AD5F4B-A152-4231-8243-33BBF050E6C7.jpeg

78A0E347-22D3-414F-B125-72A891F9A61E.jpeg

7F246B3E-F26B-4A37-A171-86911124DE83.jpeg

Great photos Michelle

I need to sort my work/life balance - I spent quite a bit of time last week hunting for answers when I should have been working and no time at all on it over the Bank Holiday weekend. Back to work this morning, if work consists of studying Google maps. I'd say that's Bertrancourt.

Richard

• Admin

My visits in the 1990s weren’t as frequent, had two small children and not a lot of money! Sons both grown up and left home (finally!) and early retirement means we can get over a lot more. How about this one? IMG_9559.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Old Forge said:

I need to sort my work/life balance - I spent quite a bit of time last week hunting for answers when I should have been working and no time at all on it over the Bank Holiday weekend. Back to work this morning, if work consists of studying Google maps. I'd say that's Bertrancourt.

Richard

That’s correct

11 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

My visits in the 1990s weren’t as frequent, had two small children and not a lot of money! Sons both grown up and left home (finally!) and early retirement means we can get over a lot more. How about this one? IMG_9559.jpeg

Is that Perth (China Wall) ??? 

M.

• Admin

No, but I can see where you are coming from. 

Hi guys. 

Where am I??

As in right now??? 

20230901_114143.jpg.9e9bb90ad861d65404523cb55189eeb7.jpg

• Admin

That blot on the landscape centre distance reminds me of the Rue Des Vignes. Can’t think of any cemeteries that fit the bill round there though. 

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Knotty said:

IIRC that’s Villers-Bretonneux

Now you come to mention it, I can see now. 

22 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Now you come to mention it, I can see now. 

Still stuck on your last one, keep thinking it’s Belgium for some reason…..or I could be fishing for a clue:lol: