Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Archives digital soon free for the duration (Covid-19)

seaJane

1 hour ago, Skipman said:

Is there anything available now that is not available on any of the other sites?

Mike

Off the top of my head (looking at First World War records only), RNR service records, registers for the DSO, MC and DCM (these add date and place of action, and sometimes unit information that were not included in the gazetted citation for security reasons), unit war diaries for corps and above units on the Western Front and war diaries for East Africa and Mesopotamia theatres.

For other things, Second World War (and later) RAF squadron operational record books, recommendations for army honours from 1930s up to 1990s and a whole host of other stuff.

12 minutes ago, David_Underdown said:

Off the top of my head (looking at First World War records only), RNR service records, registers for the DSO, MC and DCM (these add date and place of action, and sometimes unit information that were not included in the gazetted citation for security reasons), unit war diaries for corps and above units on the Western Front and war diaries for East Africa and Mesopotamia theatres.

For other things, Second World War (and later) RAF squadron operational record books, recommendations for army honours from 1930s up to 1990s and a whole host of other stuff.

Many thanks David. It's fantastic to be able to download a full diary, free. Must have a look at Corps and above.

Mike

2 hours ago, Skipman said:

Is there anything available now that is not available on any of the other sites?

Mike

Mike,

Follow the link in post#59 or 70.

Depends what your interests are really.

I'm going for Army & Corps level diaries  & other medical diaries not available online.

Doesn't have to be WWI related. Using Discovery I've searched on my home town and can then filter for 'downloads' only IE those now free and I have 715 hits with date range AD 1000 to 1950+. Wills, Board of Trade, etc etc.

Perhaps a well planned shopping list and double checking you really want it is the way to go? Otherwise the 50 quota may be used up and then you find you really wanted 'that one'.

Perhaps spend time on discovery and see what's there before filling the basket!

TEW

8 minutes ago, TEW said:

Mike,

Follow the link in post#59 or 70.

Depends what your interests are really.

I'm going for Army & Corps level diaries  & other medical diaries not available online.

Doesn't have to be WWI related. Using Discovery I've searched on my home town and can then filter for 'downloads' only IE those now free and I have 715 hits with date range AD 1000 to 1950+. Wills, Board of Trade, etc etc.

Perhaps a well planned shopping list and double checking you really want it is the way to go? Otherwise the 50 quota may be used up and then you find you really wanted 'that one'.

Perhaps spend time on discovery and see what's there before filling the basket!

TEW

Thanks TEW. Will study your sound advice.

Mike

2 hours ago, Skipman said:

Mike

Yes, loads.....especially if you're interested in things like War Diaries for the higher echelons of the Army, covering Corps, Army formations & units that were subsidiary to those (R.G.A., Tunneling Companies etc.) :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Vlaamse Verhalen said:

Yes, loads.....especially if you're interested in things like War Diaries for the higher echelons of the Army, covering Corps, Army formations & units that were subsidiary to those (R.G.A., Tunneling Companies etc.) :thumbsup:

Thank you. What would I enter to (for example) find II Corps Diary, or Fourth Army Diary

Mike

temp NA.PNG

5 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Thank you. What would I enter to (for example) find II Corps Diary, or Fourth Army Diary

Mike

temp NA.PNG

"WO95" and "2 CORPS"

I was up till all hours last night looking up military and local stuff. 

The age and variety of stuff in the NA in Kew is astounding. It gives an idea of the huge loss of Irish archival material when the Public Records Office in Dublin was destroyed in 1922. 

Many Irish Kew items seem to be copies and transcriptions of now-lost documents.

Well done the NA for many reasons.

Dave 

Edited by depaor01

4 hours ago, depaor01 said:

Many Irish Kew items seem to be copies and transcriptions of now-lost documents.

Have you seen the Beyond 2022 project https://beyond2022.ie/

Basically trying to rebuild as much as possible of what was destroyed in 1922 via means of these sorts of copies and transcripts. Project's had a bit of a rough time with the unfortunate death of TCD associate prof Seamus Lawless while climbing Everest and of course the current situation has pretty much closed down reaerch, but there should still be a lot to show, even if there's not perhaps quite so much available at launch as they would have hoped.

42 minutes ago, David_Underdown said:

Have you seen the Beyond 2022 project https://beyond2022.ie/

Basically trying to rebuild as much as possible of what was destroyed in 1922 via means of these sorts of copies and transcripts. Project's had a bit of a rough time with the unfortunate death of TCD associate prof Seamus Lawless while climbing Everest and of course the current situation has pretty much closed down reaerch, but there should still be a lot to show, even if there's not perhaps quite so much available at launch as they would have hoped.

Hi David,

I had heard of the project and to be honest I didn't believe it was possible to meaningfully recreate any of what was lost.

Having skimmed through Kew's holdings I've certainly changed my mind.

Normality will return, and hopefully the project too, if it doesn't fall victim to cutbacks.

Dave

My first batch downloaded.

Noticed something about the name of a map maker!

TEW.png.10cd85d8eb837ff7ba6a2cbd2fa90ae8.png

TEW

49 minutes ago, TEW said:

My first batch downloaded.

Noticed something about the name of a map maker!

TEW.png.10cd85d8eb837ff7ba6a2cbd2fa90ae8.png

TEW

I like that, ha ha

Chris

On 23/04/2020 at 18:42, Skipman said:

Mike

temp NA.PNG

good evenig,

thank's a lot for this information.

regards

Michel

Royal Artillery War Diaries

Diary

Search Criteria

RFA Brigades

XXX Brigade Royal Field Artillery

RFA Army Brigades

Army Troops. XXX Army Field Artillery Brigade

RHA Brigades

XXX Brigade Royal Horse Artillery

RHA Battery

'X' Battery Royal Horse Artillery

RGA Siege Battery

xxx Siege Battery Garrison Artillery

To avoid getting zero results, or hundreds, I find  that less is more.

So for example 264 Siege battery I find

WO95  264 Siege Garrison 

Is adequate

And for 53 Brigade/ HAG RGA

WO95 53 Brigade Garrison

On 23/04/2020 at 17:42, Skipman said:

Mike

Armies and Corps did not keep single diaries. Here is the list for II Corps:

2 CORPS 
WO 95/629 Headquarters Branches and Services: General Staff 1914 Aug. - Dec.  
WO 95/630 Headquarters Branches and Services: General Staff Appendices to 629 1914 Aug. - Dec.  
WO 95/631 Headquarters Branches and Services: General Staff 1915 Jan. - June  
WO 95/632 Headquarters Branches and Services: General Staff 1915 July - Aug.  
WO 95/633 Headquarters Branches and Services: General Staff 1915 Sept.  
WO 95/634 Headquarters Branches and Services: General Staff 1915 Oct.  
WO 95/635 Headquarters Branches and Services: General Staff 1915 Nov. - Dec.  
WO 95/636 Headquarters Branches and Services: General Staff 1916 Jan. - Mar.  
WO 95/637 Headquarters Branches and Services: General Staff 1916 Apr. - July  
WO 95/638 Headquarters Branches and Services: General Staff 1916 Aug.  
WO 95/639 Headquarters Branches and Services: General Staff 1916 Sept. - Dec.  
WO 95/640 Headquarters Branches and Services: General Staff Appendices to 639 1916 Oct.  
WO 95/641 Headquarters Branches and Services: General Staff 1917 Jan. - Mar.  
WO 95/642 Headquarters Branches and Services: General Staff 1917 Apr. - July  
WO 95/643 Headquarters Branches and Services: General Staff 1917 Aug. - Dec.  
WO 95/644 Headquarters Branches and Services: General Staff 1918 Jan. - Sept.  
WO 95/645 Headquarters Branches and Services: General Staff 1918 Oct. - 1919 Nov.  
WO 95/646 Headquarters Branches and Services: Adjutant and Quarter-Master General 1914 Aug. - 1915 May  
WO 95/647 Headquarters Branches and Services: Adjutant and Quarter-Master General 1915 June - Dec.  
WO 95/648 Headquarters Branches and Services: Adjutant and Quarter-Master General 1916 Jan. - Dec.  
WO 95/649 Headquarters Branches and Services: Adjutant and Quarter-Master General 1917 Jan. - Dec.  
WO 95/650 Headquarters Branches and Services: Adjutant and Quarter-Master General 1918 Jan. - 1919 Nov.  
WO 95/651 Headquarters Branches and Services: Commander Royal Artillery 1916 Apr. - Nov.  
WO 95/652 Headquarters Branches and Services: Commander Royal Artillery 1916 Dec. - 1917 Dec.  
WO 95/653 Headquarters Branches and Services: Commander Royal Artillery 1918 Jan. - 1919 Mar.  
WO 95/654 Headquarters Branches and Services: Commander Heavy Artillery 1916 Apr. - Nov.  
WO 95/655 Headquarters Branches and Services: Commander Heavy Artillery 1917 Jan. - Dec.  
WO 95/656 Headquarters Branches and Services: Commander Heavy Artillery 1918 Jan. - May  
WO 95/657 Headquarters Branches and Services: Commander Heavy Artillery 1918 June - Dec.  
WO 95/658 Headquarters Branches and Services: Deputy Director Medical Services 1915 Apr. - 1916 Dec.  
WO 95/659 Headquarters Branches and Services: Deputy Director Medical Services 1917 Jan. - Dec.  
WO 95/660 Headquarters Branches and Services: Deputy Director Medical Services 1918 Jan. - 1919 Nov.  
WO 95/661 Headquarters Branches and Services: Commander Royal Engineers 1916 Apr. - 1917 July  
WO 95/662 Headquarters Branches and Services: Commander Royal Engineers 1917 Aug. - 1918 Oct.  
WO 95/663    
WO 95/663 Headquarters Branches and Services   
WO 95/663 Assistant Director Ordnance Services 1915 Feb. - 1919 Oct.  
WO 95/663 Assistant Director Veterinary Services 1917 June - 1919 Oct.  
WO 95/663 Assistant Director Labour 1918 June - Dec.  

The list continues with Corps Troops. For Armies, the arrangement is similar but there are more of them.

Ron

This is probably  obvious to many but I find it useful. If you have the first WO Ref number for a unit, for example "WO 95/2844/1" is the 51st Highland Division Diary April 1915-December 1915 (in 3 separate downloads)  By manually changing the ref number in the Discovery search box  to "WO 95/2844/2" the next diary can be accessed i.e., the 51st Highland Division January 1916-March 1916 and so on.

Mike

temp NA 1.PNG

temp NA2.PNG

Edited by Skipman

On 24/04/2020 at 16:07, Skipman said:

David_Underdown. Do you know of any plans to digitise the Palestine War Diaries, or other theatres not yet covered?

Mike

Not at present I'm afraid (even without current circumstances)

Just now, David_Underdown said:

Not at present I'm afraid (even without current circumstances)

OK thanks David. I suppose it won't be top priority. Just curious, is there any scanning still being done?

Mike

Right now? or in normal circumstances?

Right now the building is completely closed except for security, rotating team of IT Helpdesk staff, estates etc see https://blog.nationalarchives.gov.uk/sending-the-giant-to-sleep/

In general yes, though often these are projects funded and run by licensing partners - scanning teams can set up on site as Public Records don't generally leave the building once accessioned. Plus the general record copying orders are processed as well of course.

6 minutes ago, David_Underdown said:

Right now? or in normal circumstances?

Right now the building is completely closed except for security, rotating team of IT Helpdesk staff, estates etc see https://blog.nationalarchives.gov.uk/sending-the-giant-to-sleep/

In general yes, though often these are projects funded and run by licensing partners - scanning teams can set up on site as Public Records don't generally leave the building once accessioned. Plus the general record copying orders are processed as well of course.

Yes I meant in normal circumstances. Many thanks for your interesting responses. I know you're very busy. Can I bother you once more. Would you know if the Palestinian diaries have been considered at all, or do you think I would be as well to not count on that, and ask my usual source to copy them for me (when it's open again)

Thanks agin for your time.

Mike

As I said, no current plans I'm aware of