Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Archives digital soon free for the duration (Covid-19)

seaJane

51 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

download.png.9c03801ab07587d0cfb2de443205f58c.png

There he is! Debagging? (SeaJane, have you got your library stapler handy - you know, the big one?) Or an extra long session working in the maggots patch (normally the preserve of members who mention the C word outside December)!

:) Forgiveness all round, we're too busy with the virus to bother being grumpy at each other. 

The details I posted were screen-shots from TNA's twitter account, as Craig spotted.

12 hours ago, seaJane said:

:) Forgiveness all round, we're too busy with the virus to bother being grumpy at each other. 

The details I posted were screen-shots from TNA's twitter account, as Craig spotted.

The question is nos whether we (or you) forgive Ray for making us think you were pulling a prank…. shame shame shame…

I'll still wait a couple more days before downloading some war diaries for money…

M.

So... quick poll... do you want the Mods to censure Ray ?  :whistle:

Hopefully the N/A will switch the payment system off shortly and allow us loose - not all at once though !

Craig

1 minute ago, ss002d6252 said:

So... quick poll... do you want the Mods to censure Ray ?  :whistle:

No. He suffered enough during the Moving Avatar Campaign of '16. I'm suggesting a pardon.

Dave

No, I think that Ray made a genuine mistake, he's depicted his embarrassment, Jane has forgiven him (and us) and we've had a bit of fun at his expense. Time to move one - and perhaps compile a list of what we're going to research on the National Archives website. I've got several names whom I've long been intending to research and I can see my working through my postcard collection for cards sent by and to identifiable soldiers and VADs. I wouldn't mind free access to a newspaper archive, now that my library has cancelled its subscription to The Times archive.

and perhaps compile a list of what we're going to research on the National Archives website

Hopefully the free time will allow plenty of new research to be undertaken.

Craig

So far every file that I had on my list returns:

Ordering and viewing options

This record has not been digitised and cannot be downloaded.

30 minutes ago, laughton said:

So far every file that I had on my list returns:

Ordering and viewing options

This record has not been digitised and cannot be downloaded.

The initial message does say it only applies to their already-digitised material that usually has to be paid for.

I presume there must be a catalogue listing which records are available in which categories somewhere?

WO, ADM, AIR, PRO etc?

We all know about Western front War Diaries in WO95 but it would help to get a link to a definitive list.

WO MICs and AIR & ADM service records are all normally downloadable.

Be assured I will post as soon as I have more news.

Or search WO, ADM etc and filter for available for download only.

TEW

Just received the latest e-mail Newsletter from NA below. I assume that the digital collections already on Ancestry and FMP would not form part of the forthcoming free access.

Regards

Alan

Considering building your family tree?

View in browser

The National Archives

Family history research guide

The perfect #StayAtHome hobby

With more time on our hands than ever, now is the perfect opportunity to start researching your ancestors and tracing that family tree.

We recommend starting with our research guides to learn how to find and use military records, wills, the census and a wide range of other records. 

Need some help? Why not try our live chat service. You can reach our advisers from Tuesday to Saturday, 9:00-17:00

We’re pleased to announce that soon we will be providing free access to digitised collections that are available on our website (and usually chargeable) for as long as we are closed to the public. We’ll publish more details when this goes live.

Top 10 family history books 

Family history books for beginners

For our latest boredom buster, we’ve compiled a list of our top ten most handy resources for budding historians to get started with.

Please note we are currently closed to the public, including our online shop. *

20% off Find My Past 

20% off Find My Past

Unlock your family history from the comfort of your own home this Easter by exploring Find My Past's collection of over two billion records online.

Get 20% off any 12 month Find My Past subscription with the code TNAFMP20.

Offer ends 15 April 2020.

1939 Register

1939 Register

What is the 1939 Register?

The 1939 Register provides a snapshot of the civilian population of England and Wales just after the outbreak of the Second World War. 

You can learn more about the 1939 Register by watching our webinar and reading our blogs:

The 1939 Register – when is a ‘census’ not a census?

National registration day: 29 September 1939

National Registration – what happened next?

Your family photos

Your family photos

Top tips for caring for photographs
Family photographs are often treasured possessions, but preserving and organising them can seem like a daunting prospect. Who better to turn to for advice than our conservation team. Read the blog.

How to date family photographs
If you find yourself with a collection of photographs that lack contextual information, there are a number of clues you can look out for. Read the blog.

The National Archives is currently closed to visitors, but we'll do all we can to continue bringing you the best of our online resources and activities over email throughout the coming weeks - there's lots coming up, so stay tuned! Please share this email with friends and family who may be interested, and follow us on social media for all the latest updates.

The National Archives

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram

YouTube

The National Archives, Kew, Surrey, TW9 4DU, UK. Tel: +44 (0) 20 8876 3444

OGL

All content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0 except where stated otherwise.

*All orders placed after 19 March 2020 will not be processed and will be cancelled. No payment will be taken. We are no longer taking orders via telephone, and it may take longer than usual for us to respond to email enquiries. The books mentioned above are available from all good booksellers.You are receiving this email because you signed up to receive regular email updates and other information we think might interest you. If you would like to remove your details please click here. We use an email distribution company to send out these email updates. We will not pass your data on to any other third parties. Please read our privacy statement for more information. 

TNA have a page, listing their already free downloads. No idea if they will add the corona only freebies to that page or create a new page or leave everyone to find what they want.

It will be quite a list.

TEW

Can a Canadian assume that at sometime in the next short while that this record will become available?

Army Troops. 8 Battalion British West Indies Regiment

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/70f60903c0ea47719e8567a34fa15d1c

Most certainly it was Corporal Sully but it would be nice to see the war diary as well!

Spoilbank Cemetery: Case #2 - Negro Corporal

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/268716-spoilbank-cemetery-case-2-negro-corporal/

It also struck me that if we had a list of war diaries and other information that ALL GWF MEMBERS wanted to see then we could have a "Crowd Source List" that we could use to gather the documents. All the ones we gather now can be freely posted on the GWF as they are no longer those only available by "Paid Subscription" (i.e. Ancestry). Once it is free it us always free.

So far I have not seen them on the free list?

I'd say your 8/BWI diary will become available for free.

Not sure how TNA would feel about open distribution of their downloads.

TEW

I would be surprised if those downloading were not asked to sign up to the standard terms and contitions, which I think include  "for your personal use only" or something very like that.

Keith

• Admin
10 hours ago, laughton said:

All the ones we gather now can be freely posted on the GWF as they are no longer those only available by "Paid Subscription" (i.e. Ancestry). Once it is free it us always free.

The documents are still covered by Crown Copyright until the end of 2039.

Unpublished Crown copyright literary, dramatic and musical works will however be in copyright until 2039 at the earliest. It is in the nature of archival records that the great majority are unpublished.

https://nationalarchives.gov.uk/documents/information-management/use-of-tna-materials.pdf

The use of copies of records downloaded from our website using Discovery is subject to the following conditions. Digital copies of documents may only be used for:

• private study or research for a non-commercial purpose
  • education purposes;

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/legal/copyright/digital-copies-of-documents/

Then there is the matter of storage. A decent collection of diaries would probably add up to a few hundred Gbs. Even with storage being cheap these days, it would be beyond the ability of GWF to pay for that.

That news is awesome they’ve stepped up to the mark well done to them

I've been checking daily but haven't seen anything yet.

its a tease thats for sure :) 

but Im ever hopeful it will happen

A thought!

Has anyone tried to download a document? I was going to do that and see if they left everything the same, EXCEPT when you get to the WorldPay website there may be a notice that there is no charge.

Then I thought, maybe someone has already tried this approach. If not, I will give it a whirl and see what happens.