Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Archives digital soon free for the duration (Covid-19)

seaJane

Booooo !

Or the longest april fool joke ever :rolleyes:

I just downloaded an 8th Div Medical Services file and was billed as per usual.  No freebie for me today. :(

Edited by Buffnut453

I found their blog entry for 9 April 2020 which refers to the digitized records. There is no mention of the service being free.

https://blog.nationalarchives.gov.uk/researching-while-the-archive-is-closed-visual-collections/

Digitised records

In a few cases, visual records have already been digitised and are available through the catalogue. You can locate these records by filtering your research results to include those results ‘available for download only’. For example COPY 1/81, which consists of paintings and drawings registered for copyright between January and March 1888, can be downloaded from the catalogue. 

For guidance on searching and browsing the catalogue, have a look at Discovery help

From looking at their tweet from 17 March 2020, I think this was their plan, then the whole world changed! Their last update appears to be 26 March 2020.

Found the updates in April:

a_mb4F0e_bigger.png

We’re pleased to confirm that we will be giving everyone free access to our digitised collections very soon, but it’s taking our amazing digital team a bit of time to make it happen. (1/2)

They’re facing similar challenges to the rest of the world with regard to connecting to our various technical systems while working from home, and many of them are also juggling childcare duties. Stay tuned for an update soon! (2/2)
Wow - what a response!

Just to clarify, we’re referring to digitised collections that are available on our website (and usually chargeable) – at this stage, this doesn’t extend to our collections on other sites.

·Definitely #NotAnAprilFool 

There is quite a bit of work still going one to enable this (and to try and ensure that the service stays up under what's likely to be increased demand)

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Alf!

Bernard

top tip - thanks

If any of you reacted to my post suggestion the lobbying the NA to make this happen (which was one of my misdemeanours that led to my ban), thank you. I like to think that my Twitter campaign was a large factor in their decision.

1 hour ago, Gareth Davies said:

If any of you reacted to my post suggestion the lobbying the NA to make this happen (which was one of my misdemeanours that led to my ban), thank you. I like to think that my Twitter campaign was a large factor in their decision.

Quite agree Gareth, well done. There are some on here that don’t get the fact that you have to speak out sometimes. I had some of my posts removed on the same subject, apparently for trying to overturn Government policy simply for posting contacts to write to. Hmm.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Thank you.

I've used one free credit to download a photograph of a Victorian child criminal.  

I fear that the world of academia may not be for me.

It took me a while before I understood how it worked (logging in to the discovery website first), but I managed to order my first batch of diaries.

Jan

This is great, thanks to all for the info, 3 diaries in the bag for free👍🏻

Chris 

Edited by Dragoon