Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Archives digital soon free for the duration (Covid-19)

seaJane

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/04/2020 at 16:57, alf mcm said:

These free records are now available. There is a maximum of 10 records at a time, and 50 records over a 30 day period.  https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/news/digital-downloads/

Regards,

Alf McM

I would advise keeping an exact check of the number of downloads you do, as from my experience today the system will lock you out if you order a batch that takes you over the limit, now when you actually exceed it. In retrospect I now know that I had already downloaded 45 documents when I put in an order for six or seven more, and got locked out with an accusatory, "Your account has been disabled... due to exceeding our fair usage policy for digital downloads," with none of the batch requested. In other words, I've actually been locked out after 45 downloads, not 50.

I would advise that anyone downloading documents keep an exact count of how many (note that a document split into multiple PDFs for size reasons still only counts as one download), and when you get past 40, only download subsequent documents one-by-one, just to be on the safe side.

It does say here Click

"In order to maintain the integrity of the service for everyone, and ensure that as many people as possible can benefit from it, we reserve the right to disable users’ accounts where there is a breach of this fair use policy."

Might be worth contacting through Live Chat and explaining.

Mike

1 hour ago, Skipman said:

It does say here Click

"In order to maintain the integrity of the service for everyone, and ensure that as many people as possible can benefit from it, we reserve the right to disable users’ accounts where there is a breach of this fair use policy."

It's a rather antagonistic way of implementing it, though. There's nothing that indicates how many downloads the user has done so I would imagine that a lot of people may lose track over the course of time (I first started download three weeks ago) and find themselves locked-out. I note that it's a complete lock-out, so there is no option to pay the usual fee for downloads once the free "quota" is used up.

Edited by Nick Cooper

12 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

It's a rather antagonistic way of implementing it, though. There's nothing that indicates how many downloads the user has done so I would imagine that a lot of people may lose track over the course of time (I first started download three weeks ago) and find themselves locked-out. I note that it's a complete lock-out, so there is no option to pay the usual fee for downloads once the free "quota" is used up.

if you click on your name there is a drop down box which includes selection of Your Orders. This gives the number of orders that have been downloaded.

image.png.b9db5331f09b05c2538656be2606f67e.png

My wife and I both have National Archives readers ticket and we always go to Kew together when we carry out research.  Unfortunately we only have one e-mail address and my own NA account was opened using this e-mail address several years ago. Unfortunately this means that my wife cannot open an account for downloads as the  e-mail address is "already registered".

Steve

I think that complaining that you didn't know how many items you had downloaded is a little unfair. 

I also transgressed the quota and am also locked out during lockdown.

Not much to complain about, 50 free diaries, nice.

Had assumed I'd get a message saying 'that's No. 50, that's your lot' rather that the lockout message.

I'm now locked out till Friday but that can't be after my 50 per month quota has reset. May get locked out again on Saturday?

Not certain how long this will be available for, until they re-open? Or at a certain stage of de-lockdown.

TEW

14 hours ago, ianjonesncl said:

if you click on your name there is a drop down box which includes selection of Your Orders. This gives the number of orders that have been downloaded.

image.png.b9db5331f09b05c2538656be2606f67e.png

Ah, so that's how you do it. Every day is a school day.

Thanks!

TEW,

Yes you will be locked out again, week by week until the time limit of a month has passed.

Andy

18 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Oh yes there is. If I am not logged in it wants to charge me £3.50 per document.

• Admin

I think this thread has served it’s purpose.  Ways to circumvent this generous concession is not part of the GWF remit 

now locked

• kenf48 locked this topic