Remembered Today:

What Memorial are you researching....

larneman

me again,

15980 pte albert morton 1st essex

k.i.a. 28/6/15 gallipoli

born - broxted

lived stansted

I am researching my local village memorial in alderholt, only 18 names, so I am quite lucky!! But I am stuck with one name

W G Goddard...........................I know nothing other than this mans name and that he died in the Great War

Steve,

Murial Monk's publication '10,000 Fallen Remembered on Dorset War Memorials' shows an entry for Goddard Wm John on the Alderholt (at Daggons) war memorial. This could be a typo and there is no indication in the book on how the first names were derived.

If you want me to run a check in the book on the other names listed on the memorial then let me know.

As you will see from my signature I'm currently researching the area a few miles down the road.

Marc

I noticed you are trying to ascertain who W G Goddard is. I might be able to help (or not?!?!)

I'm currently doing a little research on a nearby village called Saltford. It's between me (Bristol) and Bath - along the A4. There is a W G Goddard listed there too, and the only info I could find was the same as listed by Gary.

The CWGC info staes "Son of Joseph and Annie Goddard, of Dublin Cottage, Wherwell, Andover." -- so there is a good chance this is your man. I'm a little worried however, why a 19 year old would be in the other side of the country -- my side!!

On my plaque he's shown as Leading Seaman (see below)

Les,

Is this not your man? Taken from the CWGC database.

Name: GODDARD, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Navy

Unit Text: H.M.S. "Spitfire."

Date of Death: 31/05/1916

Service No: 225799

Additional information: Son of A. E. and Alice Goddard, of The "Jolly Sailor" Inn, Saltford, Bristol.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 12.

Cemetery: PORTSMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL

I am researching my local village memorial in alderholt, only 18 names, so I am quite lucky!! But I am stuck with one name

W G Goddard...........................I know nothing other than this mans name and that he died in the Great War

Steve,

Murial Monk's publication '10,000 Fallen Remembered on Dorset War Memorials' shows an entry for Goddard Wm John on the Alderholt (at Daggons) war memorial. This could be a typo and there is no indication in the book on how the first names were derived.

If you want me to run a check in the book on the other names listed on the memorial then let me know.

As you will see from my signature I'm currently researching the area a few miles down the road.

Marc

Marc,

That looks like my man...............Thanks.

Does the book show any other info?? date of death?? or anything like that??

If you have time, I would be very grateful if you could run a quick check on the other names.................just so I can see how poor my research has been!!!!

Feel free to email me off forum

Thanks again

Steve

PS I did see your signature, good luck with your research............nice place Romsey

Thanks Enoch

Should have thought about spellings and name changes myself.

Excellent

Glyn

Carninyj & Desmond7

Many, many thanks for this information on Armstrong - its great! :D

I am always on the lookout for BW men but this level of help is ace

Thanks again

Fred

Fred, Ballymena has three other Black Watch men with local connections. Do you have these?

Carmichael Robert, S/7056, Lance Corporal, 2 Black Watch (Royal Highlanders), Died of Wounds, 9 January 1916 in Persian Gulf, buried Amara War Cemetery, Iraq. He was born in Ballymena, enlisted Kirkintiloch, Scotland and his aunt lived at Tannybrake, Kells (near Ballymena). He is mentioned in the Ballymena Weekly Telegraph of the 19 August 1916.

Coulter, Thomas J, 267106, Lance Corporal, 6 Black Watch (Royal Highlanders), killed in action on 28 May 1918, buried Ecoivres Military Cemetery, France. He was born in Govan and enlisted in Glasgow. He was the son of N Coulter, Govan and husband of Mrs Coulter, Drumsough, Randalstown, near Ballymena.

Montgomery, Henry (Harry), S/7697, Private, 2 Black Watch, missing 22 April 1916, later said killed in action on 22 April 1916 in Persian Gulf. He is named on named Basra Memorial, Iraq. He was born at Killyflugh, Ballymena and was living in Broxburn, Scotland. He is mentioned in the Ballymena Observer of the 1 September 1916 & in the BWT, 9 Sept 1916. He is named on the Congregational Roll of Honour for 2nd Ballymena Presbyterian Church (Wellington Street).

Regards

Carninyj

Does the book show any other info?? date of death?? or anything like that??

The book is literally a list of names in alphabetical order compiled from County war memorials by the Somerset and Dorset Family History Society.

If you have time, I would be very grateful if you could run a quick check on the other names.................just so I can see how poor my research has been!!!!

BEALE William Henry WW1

BRINE Robert Emanuel WW1 - Sgt. 3/Hants R. died 19/03/1919

GODDARD Wm John WW1

HAYTER Arthur WW1

HAYTER James WW1

LANE Ernest WW1

LOCKYER Thomas George WW1

NICKLEN Roger John WW1

PALMER Frederick Henry WW1

ROSE Wm Henry WW1

SIMS Alfred WW1

SIMS Obediah John WW1

SIMS Walter WW1

SPIERS Pascoe WW1

SWIFT William Harold WW1

THORNE Edgar WW1

THORNE Frank WW1

VINEY Frederick Onslow WW1

I can add the following for the known Hampshire Regiment entries:

BRINE, Serjeant, ROBERT EMANUEL, D C M, M M, 3/3802. 3rd. Bn. Hampshire Regiment. 19th March 1919. Age 23. ALDERHOLT (ST. JAMES THE GREAT) CHURCHYARD - Dorset. His DCM citation reads:

3802 Sjt R. Brine 1st Bn (Acton Vale)

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty near Fampoux on the morning of 28th March 1918. He took charge of his company when the company commander and all other officers had been wounded. He exhibited great coolness and ability in handling his men, and brought the company out of action with great credit. He has served with this battalion since 1914, and has carried out his duties with distinction and gallantry

(03/09/1919)

HAYTER, Private, ARTHUR, 3258. 7th Bn. Hampshire Regiment. Died of TB 17th June 1919. Age 29. Son of Benjamin and Emma Maria Hayter of 2 The Terrace, Daggons Lane, Alderholt, Dorset. His brother James also fell. ALDERHOLT (ST. JAMES THE GREAT) CHURCHYARD - Dorset. 362.

SIMS, Private, ALFRED, 15237. 15th Bn. Hampshire Regiment. Killed in action 7th June 1917. Age 22. Adopted son of Frank and Adelaide Fry, of Cripplestyle, Alderholt, Salisbury. BUS HOUSE CEMETERY - Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium A. 21. SDGW adds born London, enlisted Winchester, residence Burghclere, Hants

THORNE, Private, FRANK, 1408. 1st/4th Bn. Hampshire Regiment. 21st January 1916. Basra Memorial, Panel 21 and 63 SDGW adds born Alderholt, Hants, enlisted Fordingbridge, Hants, residence Alderholt, hants. Died of Wounds.

VINEY, Private, FREDERICK, 10445. 10th Bn. Hampshire Regiment. Killed in action 2nd September 1918. Age 23. Son of George and Mary Viney, of Daggons Rd., Alderholt, Salisbury. KARASOULI MILITARY CEMETERY, Greece D. 847. SDGW adds born Bishopstoke, Hants, enlisted Fordingbridge, Hants, residence Alderholt, Dorset. Died of Wounds.

Marc

Marc,

Thanks for that info'........................That just about ties up with my research, a few middle names seem to disagree with what you have, I tried to cross reference all my names with those on freebmd.

The one thing that is new to me is the citation for Robert Brine, buried in my local church, so I will add that to my website as I have a section for the men of Alderholt.

Many Thanks and Happy New Year

Steve

Carninyj,

Many thanks for the information - its always great to know where someone is commerated on a memorial.

I have some details on them on my database but addional information is as always very welcome.

Coulter, Thomas J, - I have a picture of his grave if you want a copy?

In Scotland I have come across a few men on more than one area memorial (born one place , married and lived at another etc.) have you come across this in your neck of the woods?

Thanks again and a very happy New Year to you and yours.

(I'll have an extra half tonight to toast your kindness and enterpise(if an excuse is needed!!! :rolleyes: ))

Fred

Fred

I'd love the photo of the Coulter grave.

Ballymena's memorial, as you might expect, has many men from Irish regiments, but many from elsewhere. Australia, Canada, South Africa, NZ and the USA are all represented & there are a large number from Scottish Regiments - RSF, Cameronians, Cameron Highlanders, KOSB, Scots Guards, HLI, Royal Scots, Seaforth Highlanders, etc. Black Watch is one of the less common.

The Scots-Irish ancestry was important, as was the fact that many Ulstermen worked in the industrial belt of the Lowlands.

I'll look up what others I can find for you.

Regards

Carminyj

Fred

came across this man:

FRAZER: S12784, Pte WILLIAM JAMES, 8th Bn Black Watch, KIA 14-7-16, was born in Rhodesia when his mother and father were working there. The parents then moved to Ireland and his father joined the Royal Irish Constabulary, circa 1891. He was transferred to Portrush in the early years of the 20th century. In March of 1918 he again transferred, this time to be Head Constable in Baillieborough, Co Cavan. However, the family had worshipped in Portrush Presbyterian Church and it is there that William James is commemorated on the Roll of Honour.

William James Frazer, while he was still in South Africa, was a Trooper in the Bechuanaland Mounted Rifles, which he joined on 1st November 1914 at Kimberley, and he served throughout the South West Africa Campaign. He later joined the 2nd King Edward Horse at London on 24th June 1915 and arrived in France in May of 1916. William James was killed at the baffle of Bazentin on 14th July 1916 and he is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

Hope that is of use

Regards

Carninyj

There is no MIC for a Henry McAdorey which means he was either not in the Army

Thanks Andy.

I am also researching the McAdorey/Macadory/McAdory family tree's as my ggreatgrandfather married into this line in Larne. So this Henry remains a mystery to me and others researching this family line. I will have to get access to the 1901&1911 census of Ireland again.

Other mystery men from the Larne Cenotaph are:

PORTER JAMES

NOBLE GEORGE

MCNALLY CHARLES

MCMULLAN JAMES

MCMILLAN ALEX

MCGUIRE PATRICK

MCALLISTER MICHAEL

MOORE WILLIAM

MAGILL JOHN

LENNON JAMES

KIRKPATRICK WILLIAM

JAMIESON SAMUEL

HYLANDS JOHN

HUMPHREYS PATRICK

FULTON JAMES

BELL ALEXANDER

AICKEN JOHN

I have found a lot on these names but nothing that connects them with the Larne Urban Area or Co. Antrim. But who knows I may have just become word blind with (re)searching.

greetings

Liam

Thanks Carninyj.

Your information will help me restart researching the Larne War Memorial as I have been busy with the Merchant Navy men of the Glens of Antrim.

I have both a Frank and a John HYLANDS on the Larne Memorial.

Regiment, Corps etc.: Princess Victoria's (Royal Irish Fusiliers)

Battalion/etc.: 1st Battalion.

Surname: HYLANDS

Christian Name(s): Frank

Initials F

Born: Larne, Co. Antrim

Enlisted: Larne

Residence

Date of Death: 14/10/16

Died How: Died of wounds

Theatre of War: France & Flanders

Service Number: 3394

Grave/Memorial Reference: U. 7.

Cemetery: CARNOY MILITARY CEMETERY

Supplementary Notes

Notes :

Son of Thomas and Jane Hylands; husband of Sarah Hylands, of Magheramorne, Co. Antrim.

Notes: Larne War Memorial

Again thanks,

Liam

Liam

The contact for the Presbyterian HQ is as follows:

The Librarian

Church House

Fisherwick Place

Belfast.

Telephone: Belfast (028) 90322284

They are open from 10.00 - 12.30 am. The chap is most helpful. I'm sure he would be happy to check things over the phone or photocopy material for you.

Regards

Carninyj

Sorry to jump into the middle of this discussion.But bearing in mind the topic of the thread,i was wondering if anyone could help/give me a few pointers ??.

I am researching the War Memorial from my wifes home Village,Shere in Surrey,which is about 6 miles from Guilford.

The memorial is a simple stone cross that stands outside the main gate to the church.The names of the fallen are on two brass plaques on the wall inside the church.One for each of the world wars.

Most (not all) appear to have served with The Queens (Royal West Surrey Regt).There is one person however i cannot find anywhere,WALTER BATLOCK.

Can't find him on CWGC,MIC's or 1901 Census.Anyone out there especially those with Surrey Connection's got any idea's ??

Stephen :unsure:

Hi Stephen

There are a lot of miss spellings on memorials or the supporting records.

I would try variations on the name eg BLACKLOCK etc

Its worth a go I reckon.

Fred

Fred

I have been trying different combinations of spelling.The one you have suggested isn't one i thought of.I'll give that a go as well !!.

Stephen

To Stephen and all the rest,

Just jump in as this is a thread to help yourself and others plus help explain this mysterious idea how "old soldiers never died but just fade away" if they are named on a Memorial. I still find this a most puzzling concept. To fight, serve and died, then be remembered but to disappear in the passage of only 90 years.

Liam

One thing has just been mentioned by the wife.The plaques in the church are "new" within the past five years or so.The question that springs to mind is how bad was the original,(if thats all they had to go on )when making the replacement ??

Stephen

Steven - just a guess here but look at the bottom row of your keyboard. Is it possible that a mis-type occurred?

I.E. the 'b' and 'm' are quite close together? Matlock sounds a lot more plausible?

Any Batloks in the phone book for the area?

Des

CJ and Larneman - the reason some of the names sounded familiar was .... casulaties for 12th RIR; McAllisters in Glens ... plus the traditional Ulster names you find in very town!

Des

Guest Pete Wood

Let's put this one to bed.

Stephen's man is:

Walter Batcock:

Name: BATCOCK

Regiment: The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment)

Unit Text: 2nd/4th Bn.

Date of Death: 27/12/1917

Service No: 206535

Grave/Memorial Reference: R. 112.

Cemetery: JERUSALEM WAR CEMETERY

Enlisted Guildford

Residence Shere

Killed In Action

Born June 1895

His sister (7 years older), Miss Kate Batcock, was a seed dealer in Shere (Kelly's directories)

MIC at http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=1

:)

Let's put this one to bed.

Stephen's man is:

Walter Batcock:

Name: BATCOCK

Regiment: The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment)

Unit Text: 2nd/4th Bn.

Date of Death: 27/12/1917

Service No: 206535

Grave/Memorial Reference: R. 112.

Cemetery: JERUSALEM WAR CEMETERY

Top man Pete!

However, I have suspected for a while that the recent versions of the CWGC website database search engine are a little "tempremental" sometimes. When I first read the post about W. Batcock I tried to find him without success, even when using *COCK as a search command i.e. 'find all entries containing "COCK" (if you'll forgive the expression!).

The other day I wanted to check an entry for someone and try as I might I could not get his name to come up. A couple of hours later - no problem.........and it wasn't a question of typos etc. I think there are a couple of examples of the same thing earlier in this discussion thread too.

Andy.