Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Memorial are you researching....

larneman

Hi there barginalong, along with the interesting topic thread, have you seen this link to the RBL for standish etc., or you are part of the group. One place I would look at are the old documents for committees who set up the memorials and see if any of the paperwork then reveals who and why people are on their respective memorials. As you are no doubt aware not everybody joins their local regiment/corps which throws us researchers a curve ball. Apologies if already considered this route.

http://branches.britishlegion.org.uk/branches/standish/branch-information/history/

• 2 months later...

Of the 8 names on St. Aidan's Presbyterian Church's WW1 memorial plaque, Didsbury, South Manchester, the only one I can't identify is Alexander Smith. There's an Alexander Smith on the St Mary's Church School memorial, Didsbury (T.E. Middlemiss is also named on that memorial), but not on the Didsbury area memorial.

Two possibilities are

9929 Private Alexander Smith, 18th Battalion Manchester Regiment, died 9.7.1916,

and

109076 Private Alexander Smith, 1st Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment), died 24.4.1918.

Any suggestions?

IMG_1459.jpg

Berenice,

Does not rule out the Sherwood Forester Smith, but the Manchester Regiment lad looks favorite.

Smith1.jpg

Smith.jpg

Berenice,

Does not rule out the Sherwood Forester Smith, but the Manchester Regiment lad looks favorite.

Terrific! The address makes it pretty certain that will be him.

Interesting that he's not named on the Didsbury memorial. His mother's choice? Thank you very much for your help.

Larneman,

I've only just spotted this thread so haven't read all the posts yet so at risk of repeating what others have said, what a great idea!

I don't have a memorial to research and nobody I've spoken to about the men I'm interested in can say for certain there ever was one though I feel there must have been.

Instead, I've recently begun to research the roll of honour from Manchesters Bradford Colliery.

The list contains over 550 men who volunteered (up to the end of 1916) by surname and initial only. There are no indications as to which regiments they joined.

When I began I picked out an unusual surname to set me on my way and so far haven't found a trace of the two men who bear the name! The surname is Yumblett (initials A and F) and though they were Colliery employees they may not have been miners as many other trades were employed (Sawyer, cartman, clerk, pump man etc).

The Bradford Pit Project is aiming to erect a memorial to all the colliers over its 350yr history. This may even take the form of a small Museum in which case I think a war memorial should form a part of it.

Simon

I am researching the Workman & Clark (shipyard) Memorial, Titanic Quarter, Belfast, not to be confused with Harland & Wolff. The firm closed mid 1930s. Unfortunately almost all the names on the memorial are unreadable. At the moment I’m ploughing through the local newspapers for the war years, just starting January 1918. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Pere

You could try looking in the local newspapers for a report of the unveiling ceremony. Just possible that a list of the inscribed names would also have been printed.