Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Memorial are you researching....

larneman

Andy

If you would be prepared to share the info on your local men we'd be happy to include it in the Missing database.

Many of the pics we have are one's from newspapers and are of varying quality. We work on the principal that any image however poor the quality is better than none at all. For many of the men newspaper images are the only ones available even to their own families.

You can contact us by email through the forum.

Thanks for the interest.

Ken Linge

Hi Ken,

Tend to agree, any image is better than none. Will rummage through my files for you and see what i have.

Andy

• 2 years later...
Rob,

Two to be going on with;

WHITELEY, IVO

I

United Kingdom

Private

West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own)

1st/6th Bn.

06/08/1918

Son of the late Richard and Hannah Whiteley; husband of Annie Whiteley, of 11, Lane Head, Ripponden, Halifax.

Commonwealth War Dead

J. 9.

SISSONNE BRITISH CEMETERY

Best wishes.

Andy.

Hi Andy,

I am researchin Haworth Cenotaph memorial and have the opposite problem to above. The name I am looking for is Ivor Whitley. I found Ivo Whitely and assumed this to be the correct person - but is presumably on another memorial? Ivo Whitely enlisted at Haworth. Is it possible that he is on both memorials?

I appreciate any help.

Stormin

To Linge

I have sent you a pm...I have details of 15 Thiepval men with photographs.

Jacksmum

• 1 month later...

Sgt H McMillan is the only man from my local memorial who has evaded me so far.

I have a possible but the link is very tenuous. Simply that the man in question enlisted in Leeds.

Anyway I won't cloud your judgement with any extraneous information.

So, the man I am looking for is Sgt H McMillan.

Thanks very much.

Nigel

Nigel, Is this your man --- Sgt HECTOR MCMILLAN 63141 RFA/RHA DIED OF WOUNDS 6-8-1917 awarded the DCM. Born Glasgow Enlisted Leeds. Ralph.

Nigel, Is this your man --- Sgt HECTOR MCMILLAN 63141 RFA/RHA DIED OF WOUNDS 6-8-1917 awarded the DCM. Born Glasgow Enlisted Leeds. Ralph.

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for looking. He was the man I was describing above, but I'm not certain about him. Mainly because of the DCM. This isn't mentioned on either of the memorials on which the name appears, although other decorated men do have post nominal letters. The differing spellings of McMillan/MacMillan that Ive come across worry me less. The DCM citation has his residence as Beauly, which is fairly near to Inverness - a long way from Leeds. I haven't been able to find any other connecting evidence between him and my part of Leeds.

I may be being too cautious but I think I need something more to convinvce me.

Thanks again,

Nigel

Nigel Understand your caution, but these lads worked all over the place and joined up wherever they happened to be at the time. None of the four MM winners on our memorial have the award annotated on the memorial. Ralph.

Ralph,

I take your point, and until fairly recently I was happy with Hector MacMillan's inclusion. I took the page down because I was asked by someone how sure I was that he was the right man and I couldn't say anything other than that I was fairly sure but not 100%.

I was always pretty happy with him. I've reinstated his page on my site and hopefully more info will come to confirm my hunch.

Regards,

Nigel

Nigel, what local memorial is your man on? He isn't listed in 'Leeds in the Great War'

Mick

Hi Mick,

He is listed among the dead on Scholes War Memorial.

If you want to have a look, go to the web site through my signature and click on "The Fallen of Scholes" and he is about half way down the list of the Great War dead.

It is no surprise that he is not listed in Leeds in the Great War. Only Lt James H Simpson is out of all the men of Scholes and Barwick (about 30 in all). Only two of the men whose medals I have are listed too. I think the subscription must have been too pricey.

Cheers,

Nigel

• 5 months later...
I am researching the men commemorated on the memorial at St Mary, Manuden, on the Herts / Essex border. I'm new to this research, but so far have located:

ABSALOM, Robert Ernest Roland, Private, 1st Bn E Yorkshire Regt 31450 Tyne Cot Memorial
BAKER, Sidney Heli, Private, 17th Bn Middlesex Regt G/40870 Arras Memorial
BAYFORD, Joseph, Private, 14th (15th?) Bn, Essex Regt 31451 Tournai Communal Cemetery
BYE, John, Private, 2nd Bn, Durham Light Infantry 45132 Denain Communal Cemetery
CHAPPELL, William Stephen, Gunner, Royal Field Artillery 890304 Alexandria (Hadra) War Memorial Cemetery
KING, Sidney, Corporal, 10th Bn, Essex Regt 14634 Vis-en-Artois Memorial
PERRY, Edwin Charles, Private, 1st/4th Bn, Essex Regt, 201194 Gaza War Cemetery
PETCHEY, James, Private, 22nd Bn, Royal Fusiliers, K/2059 Cambrin Military Cemetery
START, George William, Private, 1st/8th Bn, Middlesex Regt 202125 Aubigny Communal Cemetery
TAYLOR, Albert Edward, Rifleman, 1st Bn, Rifle Brigade S/17826 Thiepval Memorial
TRIGG, Leonard, Sergeant, 1st Bn, Bedfordshire Regt, 7500 Arras Memorial
TRIGG, Harry, Private, 9th Bn, Essex Regt, 16852 Vermelles British Cemetery
WARREN, Stanley Arthur, Private, 3rd Bn, The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regt) 30502 Manuden Churchyard
WIFFEN, Frank John, Lance Corporal, 2nd Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers 830 Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial
WHEELER, Reginald Frank, Rifleman, 11th Bn, Rifle Brigade S/27569 Thiepval Memorial
WHEELER, William Rupert, Private, 9th Bn, Royal Fusiliers, 35465 Duisans British Cemetery, Etrun

I have still to find (and would welcome any suggestions for):

BIRD, Walter Frederick, born 1898
WARD, Alfred born 1892

Stephen Barratt

Here's one with names transposed.

Name: BIRD, FREDRICK WALTER

Initials: F W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Suffolk Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/4th Bn.

Date of Death: 21/11/1917

Service No: 330146

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Bird, "Kennels," Manuden, Stansted, Essex.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XXVII. B. 21.

Cemetery: LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY

Alfred Ward born in Manuden comes up in a search of SDGW - I'm sure someone who has the CD will be along soon with the full details.

Putting "Manuden" into Geoff's search engine also gives two not on your list:

Name: COCKSEDGE, ROBERT JAMES

Initials: R J

Regiment/Service: Norfolk Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 25/09/1918

Additional information: Son of the late William and Jane Cocksedge, of Great Bealings, Ipswich, Suffolk; husband of Ada Cocksedge, of "The Ferns," Manuden, Stansted, Essex.

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 36.

Cemetery: NEUVILLE-BOURJONVAL BRITISH CEMETERY

Robert may not have lived there, of course - his widow may have moved there later.

Name: DURKIN, FREDERICK CHARLES

Initials: F C

Regiment/Service: Royal Navy

Unit Text: H.M.S. "Caroline."

Date of Death: 04/02/1920

Service No: 308482

Additional information: Son of Thomas and Dinah Durkin; husband of Daisy Durkin, of 3, Pheasant Cottages, Manuden, Essex.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Face A.

Memorial: KIRKEE 1914-1918 MEMORIAL

Same goes for this one, I suppose.

Here are my 'frustration four' from Cheslyn Hay War Memorial in Staffordshire any help greatly and gratefully received, you might just save my last few strands of hair!!!!

1. Rainbow Frank, Acting Company Quartermaster Serjeant 60977, Royal Defence Corps - no date of death or grave known.

2. Bowen William Robert

3. Griffiths Harry

4. Rowley Reginald

Jon

Have you already looked at the Naval records, Jon? I can see some possibilities there.

I don't know how, could you point me in the right direction?

Jon

WARD, Alfred born 1892

Stephen

This is the Alfred Ward you need -

Name: WARD

Initials: A

Regiment/Service: Essex Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 26/08/1914

Service No: 8746

Grave/Memorial Reference: I.

Cemetery: ESNES COMMUNAL CEMETERY

He was born in Manuden.

I'll contact you as I may have some info as I have done all of Stansted (books in its final stage...out in a few weeks) and I find that Manuden sort of overlaps inot the edge of Stansted.

Glyn

Here's one with names transposed...

Wow greyhound - thank you very much for your help. As I say, I'm new to this research, so help is greatly appreciated. I've paid my 50p at military-genealogy and have found the Alfred WARD I think you referred to:

WARD, Alfred, Private, 2nd Bn, Essex Regt 8746

...and having just seen Glyn's post, it looks like I've got the right one!

However, I', soooo new that I don't even know what 'Geoff's search engine is' so if you could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

Thanks for your help

Stephen

Stephen

This is the Alfred Ward you need -

Glyn,

Thank you for your message - I've already seen your post with Robert ABSALOM listed, so there are obviously a men who had connections in both places.

The best may to contact me off this forum is at

barratt_sab at msn dot com.

I have only been a member of the forum for 24 hours, and only had experience of 'family history' genealogical sites before. I have to say that between you and greyhound, I've never had such helpful and rapid responses to a post before. Thank you both very much.

Stephen

Stephen

Geoffs search engine link

http://www.hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/search2.php

It all tied in with the CWGC site but allows you to search by keywords, numbers, regiments.......its brilliant

I will contact you by e-mail off forum...be good to chat.

Glyn

Stephen

Geoffs search engine link

http://www.hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/search2.php

It all tied in with the CWGC site but allows you to search by keywords, numbers, regiments.......its brilliant

I will contact you by e-mail off forum...be good to chat.

Glyn

Glyn

Thanks for this link - that's another evening gone for a burton...!

I'd be interested to hear more about your book.

Stephen

Glyn

I'd be interested to hear more about your book.

Stephen

Stephen

Book should be out in a few weeks...best not say too much here, I'll get slapped wrists for blatant advertising :lol:

Oh alright then.... 288 pages of the village of Stansted during both wars (mainly the Great War), loads of pics, plenty of colour, complete memoirs of a Stansted lad and his complete transcribed personal diary, with some awesome pics. Tommys Letters home from the front - see my sig. etc etc a bargain at ...hang about not yet sure what the cover price will be :o , have to hold on that for a mo.

I've sent you a mail

Speak soon

Cheers

Glyn

Oops, sorry Stephen, didn't notice that was your first post so apologies for not explaining about Geoff's search engine - it's quite a recent development which caused some excitement on the forum!

Jon, I saw & replied to your PM before seeing your post. Naval records in Documents Online on National Archives site, in case anyone else looking in is after them.

• 8 years later...

I am researching the 152 names on various Memorials in Standish Lancs - and would be grateful for help with the last 17. They are:

Charles F Asbrey - on the Peace Gate Memorial at St Wilfrid's Parish Church. I have nothing at all on him.

Bennett, A - on the Memorial for miners from Taylor Pit, Standish on a plaque in the Peace Gate as above. Wigan Archives has an Albert Bennett, 20119, 5th Bn. Manchester Regt. died 24 October 1918, age 20. Agrees 8 Kildare Street - but I cannot tie him in definitely.

Frederick Corns - on the miners plaque for Victoria Pit, Standish, as above. Also on Wigan Cenotaph
I've found two Wigan casualties - but which is it?
Wigan Archive links this one to the Cenotaph entry: Fred Corns, 1911, 5th Bn Manchester Regt., k. 7 November 1915. Grave Pink Farm, Helles
85 Platt Lane, Wigan
This one is from CWGC: 14339 D:09/08/1915 Age:23 South Lancashire Regiment 6th Bn. Mem: Panel 139 and 140.HELLES MORIAL
Son of Mrs. Elizabeth Corns, of 75, Upper Morris St., Wigan.
John Fisher - on the Peace Gate Memorial. St Wilfrid's Baptism registers have a record of John Fisher, 2nd son of John (occ. Publican) and Margaret, of Standish. Born 18 May 1890, Baptised 21 May 1890. Cannot pin him down in CWGC.
Peter Green - on the Peace Gate Memorial. Baptised St Wilfrid's: 4th son of John (collier) and Elizabeth, of Standish. Born 29 July 1889, Baptised 29 September 1889.
William Hart - on Peace Gate Memorial and on Standish Cenotaph. There are two William Hart entries on both inscriptions. One I've traced.
Austin G Heyes - on Standish Cenotaph, and on the Memorial at St Marie's Roman Catholic Church, Standish. Wigan Archives have an entry with a newspaper pic from the Wigan Observer giving that he served with the Australian Infantry, and his parents lived at 189 Preston Road Standish. I cannot confirm any further details - and I've lost sight of the Archive entry!
Thomas Hill - on the Peace Gate. No luck with him at all.
Henry Hitchin - on the miners' plaque for Taylor Pit, Standish. No Hitching with an 'i' on CWGC. Inscription may be an error - a family in the next village have a Harry Kitchen as a casualty....
John Knowles - on the Taylor Pit plaque. Wigan Archives have two entries from the newspaper casualties lists: one from the King's Own Scottish Borderers (no number) and one 11500 from the Border Regt. I can't pin either down.
Joseph Lewis - on Peace Gate and Standish Cenotaph. Wigan Archives has a listing for J Lewis, No. 13708, wounded 13 January 1916. But that's not helped.
Charles Mather - on Peace Gate and Standish Cenotaph. No tie in found.
Ernest Parker - on Standish Cenotaph. No tie in found.
Ernest L Porter - on Peace Gate. St Wilfrid's Baptism Records have a Ernest Lythgoe Porter, 1st son of William (collier) and Fanny, born 19 September 1891, Baptised 25 October 1891.
Michael Regan - on the Victoria Pit plaque, and Wigan Cenotaph. No tie in found.
James Smith - on the Peace Gate and Standish Cenotaph. Not surprisingly, no tie in found!
Edmund Wilding - on Peace Gate and Standish Cenotaph. St Wilfrid's have a Baptism for the 4th son of Henry (collier) and Jane, for 14th November 1886 (no birth date given - likely to be October 1886).