Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Memorial are you researching....

larneman

I am researching the local Larne War Memorial and Memorials in the general area of my part of Co. Antrim. While doing this I have come across some names that are proving difficult to research. When looking at the book, Newry War Dead, or at the database of Lisburn War Dead or the books of Robert Thompson, Ballymoney Heroes/Coleraine heroes,I have discovered that they all have people in them that cannot be traced. A quick internet search plus a search of this forum shows that there many persons in the whole of the UK that are mentioned on Memorials but the researchers involved can no longer trace them.

I am looking for a Henry McAdorey mentioned on the Larne War Memorial.

I am looking for a T. Moore mentioned on the Larne Grammar School Plaque.

Who are you looking for?

Post it here, the more that know about it, the more chance of finding them.

Can anybody give a reason for this and where we might search for these hard to find people.

Liam

I am doing the Kidderminster memorial, there are 662 names listed. My success in identifying each name ranges from half a page of typed A4 down to zero, just the name on the memorial, nothing else. For example in the cases of T. MARTHERN, T. GRAYLEY and Robert WATHERSTONE, there is nothing listed in SDGW, CWGC, MICs or the 1901 census as being resident in Kidderminster.

Numerous instances of a name being listed in SDGW, CWGC, and MICs but insufficient evidence to pin one down as being from the town.

Instances of boys listed in the 1901 census but then insufficient information in SDGW, CWGC, MICs to catergorically state which one it is.

Instances of men being listed in the local paper as attending a peace celebration in a local park in 1919

where that name is on the memorial and is IMHO sufficiently unusual to suspect they died after the war from wounds etc e.g. J.H. BELL, S.J. NOTT and G.C. POSTINGS.

In 1919 Kidderminster Borough awarded a medal and certificate to the NoK of men from the town who died in the war, once again the local paper listed the relatives amongst which are women sharing the same surname as T. SHERIDAN, James SKERRETT, J. POULTON and A. WOOLLAMS where there is either no listing in the indices or insufficient to pin them down. Frustratingly women sharing the same surname as T GRAYLEY and T MARTHERN already mentioned above are listed as well.

Then there is the gem which keeps you going, couldn't find anything on a Richard BLEASE other than an officer of that name KIA with the 15th WYorks, last week on this site there was a link to a new website on the Leeds Pals with the name Richard BLEASE, hoping the webmaster mat have something which will firm up on the Kidderminster connection.

Some of the men identified have no apparent connection with the town, eg. the three CUBITT brothers of the 1/5th Norfolks are listed.

I've now got square eyes and researchers back from hunching over the micro-film reader at the local library, done the local death records, searched the on-line indices, unless somebody can suggest a new avenue I'm thinking of drawing a line under my research and publishing what I've got.

A link to another thread on the same subject:-

CLICK HERE

Like Kevin I have found people with no direct connect with the Larne area. Their sister lived there but he and she were from another town and she had him remembered in Larne and not in his home town. He was from Belfast and signed up in Canada and his father was doing a tour as Methodist minister in Larne before returning to Belfast.

But with tips and help we must be able to solve some of the mysteries.

Do you have any missing men??

Liam

I am researching the Roll of Honour of my old school.

The one name which I have drawn a total blank on is:

Private Alexander Eardley Wilmot Chimmo Mairne SAMSON, died 10th April 1916, 1st Sportsmans Battalion.

It's almost like he doesn't exist as I can find nothing about him at all.

During my research on Calderdale's memorials I have come across a number of men who I can't trace. Here are some of the reasons.

They died after leaving the armed services and are not acknowledged as war dead by the CWGC. I've found a couple like this by looking on the St Catherines Register of Deaths.

Their initials are wrong eg P C Bush who turned out to be Walter George Bush. When the names were put on the memorial they didn't know his first names and as he was the local village policeman they put P C instead !

Incorrect spellings of names. Try all the possible combinations of spellings you can think of when looking on CWGC and SDGW.

The names on the memorial are just plain incorrect. The only way to find out about these is to publish your work, in my case online, and hope someone will contact you. I've found 2 lost men this way.

Here are the men I'm looking for

Barkisland Memorial

C Ainley

Wadsworth Memorial

Ben Butler

Ripponden Memorial

John Collinson

Ivo Whiteley

Rastrick Memorial

Thomas Doherty

George Grange

Albert Edward Horsfall

J Lenn

Joseph Smith

A Taylor

F Walker

Luddenden Memorial

Alfred Holmes

John Ogden Horsfield

Harry Patrick

Luddenden Foot Memorial

Frank Sutcliffe

Willie Taylor

Elland Memorial

H E Holroyd

T H Lister

Lawrence Mellor

Walter Snowden

W Sutcliffe

Southowram Memorial

James William Ingham

T J Jackson

J Okey

E Waterworth

Bradshaw Memorial

Harold Kingham

Robert Pickles

Arthur Townsley

Rishworth Memorial

Leonard Smith

If anyone can help me I'd be obliged.

regards

Rob

Great idea this as I have a few names I can't trace - but maybe this thread would be better of in the Soldiers Topics or it may not be read by those who know.

Regards

Glyn Warwick

Rob,

Two to be going on with;

Ripponden Memorial

John Collinson

Ivo Whiteley

WHITELEY, IVO

I

United Kingdom

Private

West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own)

1st/6th Bn.

06/08/1918

Son of the late Richard and Hannah Whiteley; husband of Annie Whiteley, of 11, Lane Head, Ripponden, Halifax.

Commonwealth War Dead

J. 9.

SISSONNE BRITISH CEMETERY

Southowram Memorial

James William Ingham

T J Jackson

J Okey

E Waterworth

INGHAM

J W

United Kingdom

Private

Training Reserve

91st Bn.

03/03/1917

Commonwealth War Dead

North-East 1. T. 19.

COLEY (ST. JOHN) CHURCHYARD EXTENSION

Best wishes.

Andy.

The one name which I have drawn a total blank on is:

Private Alexander Eardley Wilmot Chimmo Mairne SAMSON, died 10th April 1916, 1st Sportsmans Battalion.

It's almost like he doesn't exist as I can find nothing about him at all.

Just had a look at Ancestry.com ...

Marriage - March Quarter 1901 Fulham 1a 485

Alexander Wilmot C N Samson - Alice Hannah Schofield

Also 1901 census..RG13/116 Folio 160 page 3 (Alex incorrectlty transcribed!)

The Great Central Hotel, Marylebone

Alexr Wilmot Samson age 29 married guest born Jamaica

Alice Hannah Samson age 30 married guest Born Oldham, Lancs

I suspect they may have been on honeymoon/holiday?

Hope this will be of help.

That's great thanks!

My Dad used to work with a chapr called Micheal Eardley Wilmot, but sadly he didn't have anything on the family history.

At leastb I have something to go for now

Thanks!

Hmm, wonder if he's a relative?

Gary

Liam

I wonder if you have come across this man on any local memorial?

ARMSTRONG, Private, WILLIAM, 9196. "E" Coy. 1st Bn. Black Watch (Royal Highlanders). 29th October 1914. Age 31. Son of Robert and Agnes Armstrong, of Glenwherry, Ballymena; husband of Agnes Armstrong, of 10, Windsor Terrace, Ballymena, Co. Antrim

He was Ballymena born but enlisted in Edinburgh.

Thanks

Fred

Fred

Your man appears on the Ballymena War Memorial.

He is also mentioned in a little contemporary volume produced locally called 'Ruined France and Flanders' & on the list which was produced for the dedication of the war memorial in 1924. His name is in the Ballymena Observer Supplement, 7 May 1915 and his case is recorded in the Ballymena Weekly Telegraph of 26 December 1914. He is named in the Congregational Roll of Honour, a rather inaccurate listing kept by the Presbyterian churches, and appears under the entry for Wellington Street Presbyterian Church.

Other information about him comes from his photo - see attached.

The local paper also refers to Private R Armstrong. I know that William had a brother Robert in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. Was this him?

"Miss A. Armstrong of Ballymena has received a letter from her brother, Pte. R. Armstrong of the Inniskilling Fusiliers, who was wounded at the battle of Mons. He was wounded in the knee and has been in an American Ambulance Hospital in Paris. He expects to be home for Christmas." November 29, 1914

Hope this helps

Regards

Carninyj

post-19-1104264951.jpg

Andy (Northern Soul)

Thanks for the details of Ivo Whiteley and J W Ingham. Now I swear that I looked on the CWGC site, how the hell did I miss them ???

Another tip for all you researchers, double check that you've actually looked for the men in the obvious places !!

many thanks

Rob

I am researching my local village memorial in alderholt, only 18 names, so I am quite lucky!! But I am stuck with one name

W G Goddard...........................I know nothing other than this mans name and that he died in the Great War

Hi Steve,

CWGC lists only one W G Goddard for the First World War. This isn't your man, is it? Alderholt and Andover are just over 30 miles from each other.

Gary

Name: GODDARD, WALTER GEORGE

Initials: W G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Marine Light Infantry

Unit Text: 1st R.M. Bn. R.N. Div.

Date of Death: 19/09/1918

Service No: PLY/2294(S)

Additional information: Son of Joseph and Annie Goddard, of Dublin Cottage, Wherwell, Andover.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: E. 2.

Cemetery: WAVANS BRITISH CEMETERY

Fred Pepper, 2nd KOSB mentioned on the Currie Memorial but the KOSB and all other sources don't have him.

Malcolm,

He does have an MIC - 8676, Pte., KOSB. Have you downloaded it to see if there is any other information on it regarding his death/discharge?

Cheers.

Andy

I am looking for a Henry McAdorey mentioned on the Larne War Memorial.

Liam,

There is no MIC for a Henry McAdorey which means he was either not in the Army or, if he was, never went abroad and died in the UK. Similarly he is not listed in the Canadian or Australian Archives. I know this seems a bit negative but it does narrow down your search options quite a bit. Your best approach will be to look through the civilian records for him, especially the Irish equivalent of the GRO Death Indexes.

Regards.

Andy.

Sorry folks only found this thread.

CarninyJ - Re: Armstrong, W. Robert was the brother.

He re-enlisted in the RAF in 1918 having been engaged in war work in the intervening period.

Des

And, for Fred ....

Private William Armstrong

IT was officially reported to the parents of Pte Wm. Armstrong, Bally, Ballymena, that their son, of the Black Watch, had been killed in action as long ago as October 29, 1914. The deceased, who leaves a wife and two young children residing in Kinhilt Street, worked at his trade as a carpenter to Mr. John Carson, builder and contractor, and prior to rejoining his regiment for active service, he worked on the Queen‚s Island, Belfast. It may be mentioned that a brother of the deceased, Pte Robert Armstrong, was wounded at Mons.

December 30, 1914

and from list of 1915 - 'What Ballymena has done'

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers (20)

L. Cpl.R. S. Wilkinson, Albert Place

L. Cpl. John Lorimer, Alexander Street

Private soldiers

E.F. Means, Ballymena;

R. Armstrong, Cushendall Road (wounded at Battle of the Marne, unfit for further service);

John Erwin, Post Office;

R. Wallace, Ballymena;

W. Francey, Queen Street;

James Francey, Queen Street;

L. Houston, Salisbury Square, DoW;

H. McIlroy, James Street;

W. Telford, Tullygarley;

James Erwin, Ballygarvey;

Thomas McAdams, Carniny, wounded;

J. Griffen, James Street, wounded;

Thomas McAllister, Duke Street;

S. Foster, Patrick Place, wounded and unfit for furthr service;

John Gamble, Dunminning;

Robert Carson, Waring Street, wounded;

M. Bourman, Castle Street;

Pte. Irwin, Clonavon, invalided home.

Edited by Desmond7

I am researching my local village memorial in alderholt, only 18 names, so I am quite lucky!! But I am stuck with one name

W G Goddard...........................I know nothing other than this mans name and that he died in the Great War

Steve,

I noticed you are trying to ascertain who W G Goddard is. I might be able to help (or not?!?!)

I'm currently doing a little research on a nearby village called Saltford. It's between me (Bristol) and Bath - along the A4. There is a W G Goddard listed there too, and the only info I could find was the same as listed by Gary.

The CWGC info staes "Son of Joseph and Annie Goddard, of Dublin Cottage, Wherwell, Andover." -- so there is a good chance this is your man. I'm a little worried however, why a 19 year old would be in the other side of the country -- my side!!

On my plaque he's shown as Leading Seaman (see below)

Les.

Gary/Les,

I had discounted this W G Goddard mainly because of geography, I know where Wherwell, it's a good 35 miles from me............

I had made a guess that CWGC had him listed as simply W Goddard.

Les, at least you have a rank for your W G Goddard!!! And there is a William goddard, leading Seaman listed on CWGC

post-19-1104363780.jpg

I am researching my local memorial in the village of Stansted Essex.

I have a few names that I cannot find on the CWGC site - I am busy getting as much info as poss from the 1901 census - Anyway If anyone can help with the following it would be greatly appreciated.

SERGEANT JAMES TIMOTHY BUSH

PRIVATE ALBERT MORETON

PRIVATE WILLIAM THOMAS RATCLIFFE

PRIVATE PHILIP HALLINGS SMITH

PRIVATE ERNEST WALTER SAGGERS

Many Thanks

Glyn Warwick

hello glynn, could this man have swapped his foremans round for some reason?

43615 pte walter ernest saggers 9th essex

k.i.a. 18/10/16 f&f

born and lived stansted, essex

enoch