Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference 2016 - all speakers announced

AlanCurragh

Hi Alan

I have just paid through pay pal for 1 place.

Thanks Mandy

Great Mandy - see you there

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

We have a few spaces left if anyone wants to come along on Saturday - let me know if you do

Alan

Well done Alan and all concerned another great conference,

Tony

Yes, thank you Alan. An excellent day - again

Roger

Alan and Sue

Thank you again for another excellent Conference. Interesting and knowledgable speakers, with plenty of opportunity to catch up with old friends and make new ones. What's not to like?

David

Another great conference has come and gone. It would have been so easy to give us five talks on the Battle of the Somme from a British perspective but these were anything but "bog standard". It was particularly refreshing to see things from a French and a German perspective but Jeremy Banning and Aimée Fox-Godden gave talks with a British angle that I wouldn't have missed for anything. All of the talks were interesting, informative and very well presented and I offer my thanks and congratulations to the speakers.

I don't know how you two do it but long may you continue! Many thanks, Alan and Sue.

Keith

Echoing everyone's comments above, another friendly, interesting, educational day - everything a conference should be.

Well done Alan, Sue and all the other background helpers...

James

Agree entirely with posts 129 onward - an excellent day with superb presentations of differing "angles" on the Somme by thoroughly knowledgeable speakers. The Dinner was good too.

Thoroughly enjoyed the day (although I had to leave early, so missed the last speaker). Good to catch up with folk.

I would like to echo all of the testimonials for yesterday's event; thanks to Alan and Sue for a cracking day. My only regret is that I didn't run the buying-a-copy-of-Pete Hart's-latest book joke cycle out a bit further; I think I fell for the selling like hot cakes line. As my favourite Aussie Ric Pelvin pointed out it would have been preferable if Pete had been selling hot cakes, he would have had more takers......

Pete.

Well, that was worth flying round half the world to attend! Drinks in Old Contemptibles, late night curries and then 5 presentations, Somme based but each with unique and thought provoking material to keep me busy reading for a good while, (and a whole heap of places on a wish list to visit),. Then there were the pals. Thank you all for your friendly welcome, an online community that I have always appreciated, iIt was great to meet up with our friend Peter Bennett, and to spend time with you all.

Thank you Alan and Sue, it was special

Cheers Shirley (and Chris)

Just to add my thanks too. Alan and Sue you did a great job, thanks. Great speakers as ever.

Regards

TT

Shirley and Chris,

good to meet you both - enjoy the rest of your trip.

Shirley and Chris,

good to meet you both - enjoy the rest of your trip.

Glad you got home safely and we loved all your stories at dinner!

Well, that was worth flying round half the world to attend! Drinks in Old Contemptibles, late night curries and then 5 presentations, Somme based but each with unique and thought provoking material to keep me busy reading for a good while, (and a whole heap of places on a wish list to visit),. Then there were the pals. Thank you all for your friendly welcome, an online community that I have always appreciated, iIt was great to meet up with our friend Peter Bennett, and to spend time with you all.

Thank you Alan and Sue, it was special

Cheers Shirley (and Chris)

Shirl and Chris, it was great to meet you too, Ali sends her best and we will look forward to your future adventures.

Ali and Pete.

Thanks to Alan and Sue for another enjoyable and well run day. Nice to put faces to a few more names, as in Pete above. Thanks for the compliments about the photos.

Roll on next year.

Mandy

Many thanks to Alan and Sue for their organisation. As a 'first-timer' I thoroughly enjoyed the day and meeting a number of GWF members. I am very grateful for the comments received regarding my talk.

With best wishes,

Jeremy

Just got back home after a very enjoyable weekend seeing old friends again and making new ones, as well as listening to some excellent talks. Thanks very much Alan and Sue

Cheers Martin B

What to add - old friends, new friends, friends from the other side of the world, five great talks, an excellent Friday evening at the OC, rounded off for some of us at Akbar's, and then a good time over dinner on Saturday. March 25th 2017 is in the diary.

Thanks as ever to Alan and Sue for making it work.

Keith

Good morning All,

First opportunity back in front of the computer to add to the thanks to Alan and Sue for organising another excellent conference, with a wide range of subjects and perspectives within the focus of the Somme.

It was great to meet the regulars again as well as many new faces: I can now replace my Crackerjack pencil with a genuine Aussie one thanks to Shirley and Chris who came bearing gifts !

Steve

Ditto what everyone else said, and to add how lovely it was to meet Shirley and Chris - especially as Chris invited us all over to hold a special tenth anniversary conference in Australia. He even said we can all stay at their house :D. Yay, Australia here we come!

Well done Alan and Sue, another great year.

i would also like to add my thanks and appreciation to Alan and Sue for all the hard work that goes into organising the Conference. A really enjoyable day.

Schwerpunkt has now entered my German vocabulary list and, along with schadenfreude, will be trotted out with tiresome regularity. Thank you, Mr Sheldon.

Shirley and Chris - Good to meet you. Enjoy the rest of your trip. I assume my genuine Aussie (made in China) pencil is in the post?

Great to see everybody. Already looking forward to next year!

Paul

That's what happens when you don't stay for the dinner Paul - you miss out! Best you stay next year, just in case :D

Ditto what everyone else said, and to add how lovely it was to meet Shirley and Chris - especially as Chris invited us all over to hold a special tenth anniversary conference in Australia. He even said we can all stay at their house :D. Yay, Australia here we come!

Well done Alan and Sue, another great year.

Ah but do they have an Akbar's?

Or an OC? I don't think I could stand an evening of chilled lager.