Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference 2016 - all speakers announced

AlanCurragh

Ralph - we have thought of a video, but to be honest the costs and complication of trying to set it up have precluded it. In addition, getting the permission of the speakers could be an issue

Alan,

Could you reserve a space for my pal Alan Angell, please?

He'll send you a cheque through the post in the good, old-fashioned way.

Cheers,

John

This is a serious albeit naive question - 6 weeks to go and looking at the obvious theme this year, could you give me titles of some overall and general books on the Somme. Something that could be a good preparation for the lectures, I read fast and I have tended to read diaries and ones that are specific to particular battles, so something giving an overall and chronological understanding, but not too technical if that is possible.

Thank you!

Shirley

This is a serious albeit naive question - 6 weeks to go and looking at the obvious theme this year, could you give me titles of some overall and general books on the Somme. Something that could be a good preparation for the lectures, I read fast and I have tended to read diaries and ones that are specific to particular battles, so something giving an overall and chronological understanding, but not too technical if that is possible.

Thank you!

Shirley

I like Pete Hart's Somme book; it is a fine overview and has the added advantage that the author is usually available at the conference where he will be haranguing the other attendees to buy copies of his tomes.

Pete.

I would agree with Pete

• Admin

I will ask him indoors about attending, we have got tickets to see Muse at the NEC ( or whatever it's called these days) on the 2nd so we could combine the two.......

Michelle

Does anyone have any experience of the various hotels other than the Premier Inn that are within a poppadom's throw from Akbar's? I've stayed in the Strathallan the last couple of years but I was wondering if any of the others are up to snuff.

Pete.

P.S. Alan, the cheque is in the post. Honest.

Pete

I tried the Eaton Hotel one year - when I booked it the price was not much different to the Premier Inn. It was pretty good - no complaints at all. Not sure what the prices are now though.

http://www.eatonhotel.co.uk/

This year I am trying the Hallmark Hotel as I got 2 nights for £82. This is not without some trepidation though as the reviews on Trip Advisor are very mixed - but it is only 2 nights and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger (hopefully!!).

The Premier Inn is definately the safe choice!

Neil

• Admin

Pete

Whatever you do, don't stay in the Kensington

Michelle

Pete

I tried the Eaton Hotel one year - when I booked it the price was not much different to the Premier Inn. It was pretty good - no complaints at all. Not sure what the prices are now though.

http://www.eatonhotel.co.uk/

This year I am trying the Hallmark Hotel as I got 2 nights for £82. This is not without some trepidation though as the reviews on Trip Advisor are very mixed - but it is only 2 nights and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger (hopefully!!).

The Premier Inn is definately the safe choice!

Neil

Pete

Whatever you do, don't stay in the Kensington

Michelle

Thank you both for the top tips; I'm going to have to ask why the Kensington is a no no but I'll wait until I see you in person. The Strathallan, which is now the Hallmark is fine, I stayed there the last two years and liked it.

Pete.

Alan - just paid via Paypal.

Two tickets for Phil Wood & Jane Burrell.

Excellent - look forward to seeing you both again Phil. if you are about on ther Friday night - make for the Old Contemptibles where a really dodgy crowd will have assembled.

Keith

Last year we did as a day trip (easy enough from Newbury), but a few jars are always tempting. See you at the conference if not before!

Alan

1 place please, just paid by PayPal

Alan

Still a few places left - please let me know if you want to come along

Alan

Would like a ticket to the day if possible.Please confirm places available and will pay through PayPal.

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon - that's fine - I'll reserve your space

Alan