Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference 2016 - all speakers announced

AlanCurragh

The seventh annual Great War Forum conference will be at the Tally Ho in Birmingham again, on 2nd April 2016 with the same format as the previous conferences - five speakers, starting at 10.30, finishing at 5.30, followed by dinner.

I'm delighted to announce that the five speakers are -

Jack Sheldon - "German Command and Control on the Somme"

Jeremy Banning - "The Somme Cauldron - Three Years studying Life and Death in the La Boisselle Sector"

Jonathan Boff - "Haig's Enemy - Crown Prince Rupprecht of Bavaria"

Bill MacCormick - "The French 'Learning Curve' - Foch and the First Days on the Somme"

Aimée Fox-Godden - "Somme Lessons - the Influence of the Somme Campaign in the 'sideshow' theatres"

As last year, the cost will be £30 per person, covering the conference, lunch and tea and coffee. Dinner will be £28. We'll also be having our traditional get together in the Old Contemptibles pub in the centre of Birmingham on Friday evening.

As with last year's event, pals will be more than welcome to bring along books to sell, or any display material you have.

Please can you let me know you want to attend, and if so pay a deposit of £10. You can make your payment either via a cheque or by using the Paypal link - details of both are here, and can also be accessed by the link in my signature -

http://1914-1918.inv...howtopic=169635

Any questions, please let me know

Many thanks

Alan

Alan, I'm sure I'll try to make it as the last two have been excellent. Will you be divulging the names of the speakers or will the suspense rival that of the Ashes?

Pete.

I'll put that date in my 2016 diary when I get one...

In the diary already :D. Please reserve two seats, along with a request for a reserved notice to be placed on 'our' table. The usual suspects turned up and were shocked, confused and upset to find all the tables gone - can't let that happen again! ;)

have been waiting with interest for the date, to see if there is any way we can jag our trip next year to coincide with the Conference. If we can, where is the best place to stay, a reasonable walking distance?

In happy anticipation

Shirley

Shirley, most people tend to stay in the Premier Inn on Hagley Road. In this way we all share taxis to/from the pub on the Friday night and again to the conference the next day. It's also good for the late Friday night curry house next door that a lot of people like to indulge in.

Oh no the curry trail gang, and don't be fooled by the look of innocence Kim will carry your beer in for you.

Cheers Roger.

have been waiting with interest for the date, to see if there is any way we can jag our trip next year to coincide with the Conference. If we can, where is the best place to stay, a reasonable walking distance?

In happy anticipation

Shirley

Hi Shirley

It would be great if you could make it over; the last two conferences have been excellent, and the Friday night in the Old Contemptibles is just as good. There are several hotels in the Hagley Road area not too far from the Premier and Akbar's, the legendary warehouse sized curry establishment. The last couple of years I've stayed at the Strathallan which is just across the road. It's perfectly adequate and I've managed to get a good deal booking in advance.

Pete.

Thank you for that Pete, we are starting to look at where we have to be and then fit in all the things we would like to do!

We might be able to fly direct to Birmingham, Chris pretty keen as well!

It's in the diary

Please also reserve my ususal place on Kim's table of reprobates regulars :ph34r:

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Looking positive, just confirming that the Premier Inn is described as Birmingham Central Hagley?? One website said it was booked out that date !!!

You must make yourself known, Shirley - wear a hat with corks or something, or maybe get up on stage and announce yourself. Only joking! But it would be lovely if you could make it, you'll find us a friendly bunch and you'll have a fab time - honest :D

Don't worry, Shirley - we've had Aussies attend previous Conferences and all have (I believe) returned home safely...

I will make Chris wear a shirt instead of his wallaby jumper, can't guarantee the Friday night though! Will his Yorkshire connections pull him through do you think?

Definitely will with us Yorkies, Shirley. But the softie southerners (Andy :D ) are a different kettle of fish! But we are educating them.

• 1 month later...

The Premier Inn at Hagley Road is currently offering the Friday and Saturday night for £80 total excluding breakfast.

Keith

And regarding the conference, I will be starting announcing speakers, and asking for deposits, very soon....

And regarding the conference, I will be starting announcing speakers, and asking for deposits, very soon....

Is there a theme to the conference?

Just booked :D. Two nights, two people, including breakfast £115. Can't be bad! (We obviously get the same emails :) )

I've just looked online and the price has gone up to £118 for 2 nights, not including breakfast. Drat and double drat.

Paul