Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Favourite Book Jacket

Dust Jacket Collector

The internal illustrations are line drawings of bone only, thank goodness. Working here has shown me that I'm less squeamish than I thought, but eyes... ugh.

• 1 month later...

A recent purchase & a very striking image, sadly unsigned, for Ernst Carl's 1935 autobiography 'One Against England'. Carl is described as 'Germany's Master Spy', although I think there have been several claimants to that title. Here he says that he teemed up with some Irish Nationalists to plant time bombs on HMS Hampshire in which Kitchener was sailing. His description of then watching the ship explode whilst sitting in the White Horse Inn in Kirkwall has subsequently been called into question, there being no such Inn recorded & it being impossible to have seen the sinking from so far away.

post-35362-0-18948800-1442910296_thumb.j

Another strong one. It looks radical now so can only imagine what it must have looked like back then.

Makes you wonder when the use of England for Britain went out of vogue? Seems so odd now.

I suspect the alliteration had something to do with it - was the German title Einer gegen England or some such?

I suspect the alliteration had something to do with it - was the German title Einer gegen England or some such?

That's correct, published the year before.

That's correct, published the year before.

Rolls off the tongue a bit easier than Einer gegen Grossbritannien?

Really enjoying these! Great idea and thanks for posting!

- J

Further to my last posting of Ernst Carl's 'One Against England', I now realise that the jacket is in fact signed. The artist in question was Douglas Moir who seems to have done several other covers for the same publisher, Jarrolds. One such is shown below, Marthe McKenna's 'A Spy was Born', a novel which tells of the German Occupation of Belgium.

post-35362-0-44579000-1443367582_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd revive this topic with a superb jacket that arrived today. It's a collection of Short Stories concerning an artillery unit. The author went on to become a hugely successful novelist. I can't find any details of his military service but one of his earlier books was called 'Behind the Barrage' which gives a seemingly accurate account of a Battery in action, so I would assume he served with the RFA.

post-35362-0-32171400-1448989840_thumb.j

Excellent cover of a 'graphic' 6in How. He was RGA (328 SB) and well placed to record his experiences, having been wounded, gassed and suffered shell shock!

Rgds

Paul

Thanks for the new posting DJC, I have nothing I can add to the thread but is one of my favourite threads on the forum.

Mandy

Excellent cover of a 'graphic' 6in How. He was RGA (328 SB) and well placed to record his experiences, having been wounded, gassed and suffered shell shock!

Rgds

Paul

Thanks for the info on Goodchild, Paul, that answers a few questions.

Mandy. I'm glad you like the pictures. I'll try to find some more.

Have you ever seen "The Ninth Gate"?

?? One of my favourite films. Not sure any of my books were illustrated by the devil though!

Continuing my attempts to bring some of the excellent art work used in WW1 book jacket design to a wider audience.

This tremendous image of marching men is from Emil Schulz novel Schlump, published by Secker in 1929 having been originally published in Germany the year before. It tells of a young man at the front through 4 years of war. Again the jacket is unsigned.

Hi Alan,

this jacket was designed by Emil Preetorius

Gruß Stefan

Hi Alan,

this jacket was designed by Emil Preetorius

Gruß Stefan

Thanks Stefan. That's also led me to the author's real name - Hans Herbert Grimm and not Emil Shultz. Lots of really useful information today.

?? One of my favourite films. Not sure any of my books were illustrated by the devil though!

The idea of you travelling the world, risking your life to obtain rare volumes, has long been firmly entrenched in my imagination.

Sorry to interrupt the thread. As you were.

The idea of you travelling the world, risking your life to obtain rare volumes, has long been firmly entrenched in my imagination.

Sorry to interrupt the thread. As you were.

And fortunately I haven't had to bump anyone off in order to get the most elusive ones.

Here are 2 particularly scarce ones from Wilfrid Ewart.

post-35362-0-76344600-1449074041_thumb.jpost-35362-0-56744600-1449074066_thumb.j

Way of Revelation was a hugely popular novel first published in 1921 which has since vanished from view. Love & Strife was published posthumously in 1936. Ewart was accidentally killed some years before in Mexico, being hit by a stray bullet during a street carnival. He served in the Scots Guards.

• 3 weeks later...

Inspired by another thread on 'The silence of Colonel Bramble' I thought I would show the jacket ( this is the 1927 3rd edition) , shame about the old tape marks

but it only cost me a £1 at a local book sale.

post-52745-0-19421500-1450621188_thumb.j

Inspired by another thread on 'The silence of Colonel Bramble' I thought I would show the jacket ( this is the 1927 3rd edition) , shame about the old tape marks

but it only cost me a £1 at a local book sale.

Not much I can do for the lower left corner, but an improvement I hope:

http://postimg.org/image/8vpl7tywt/

Colonel_Bramble_pic.jpg

• 2 months later...