Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Favourite Book Jacket

Dust Jacket Collector

I'm particularly fond of this one with its wrap-around jacket showing a parade of the 1st Lifeguards at Windsor Great Park in 1912. The author served with them from 1911 - 1918 until they lost their horses & became a machine-gun Battalion. In May 1918 they were decimated in an air-raid & the author spent the next 2 years in hospital. This copy once belonged to F.C.Hitchcock ("Stand-To") who made copious notes in it for his published review. There's also a letter from Lloyd to Hitchcock thanking him for recommending the publishers, Hurst & Blackett.

post-35362-0-06754000-1429622172_thumb.j

His other classic memoir with another great jacket.

post-52745-0-82846200-1429631985_thumb.j

Today's offering is a relatively simple but effective image. Haslam's 'Cannon Fodder' has long since passed from memory being published in the midst of the 'War Boom' in 1930. Like many published at that time it claimed to be 'War from a new angle' but you can guess from the title what that angle was! The book is lightly fictionalised but it seems the author was a teacher who served in a Welsh Regiment throughout the War.

post-35362-0-81206800-1429688016_thumb.j

Today's offering is a relatively simple but effective image. Haslam's 'Cannon Fodder' has long since passed from memory being published in the midst of the 'War Boom' in 1930. Like many published at that time it claimed to be 'War from a new angle' but you can guess from the title what that angle was! The book is lightly fictionalised but it seems the author was a teacher who served in a Welsh Regiment throughout the War.

I have the identically titled memoir by A. Stuart Dolden.

I imagine he was unaware of this title having been used previously before he published his own in 1980.

Another favourite. Published by Dent in 1930. A review copy. It seems to be the same artist as the for 'The Phantom Brigade' above. Any ideas who it is?

Hello Alan

The artist is William Kermode whose 'logo' is a the K within the border. He of course was the illustrator of 'Patriots Progress'

Hello AlanThe artist is William Kermode whose 'logo' is a the K within the border. He of course was the illustrator of 'Patriots Progress'

Thanks, HQ, I should have spotted that.

Trying to find an appropriate jacket for the Gallipoli Commemorations is difficult as most don't show any troops but here's one from the Rev. O. Creighton, who was chaplain to the 86th Brigade. Published by Longmans in 1916 it's a fascinating day by day diary of the campaign.

post-35362-0-00305100-1429951264_thumb.j

As far as I am aware John HAMILTON was the only British publishing house who made a real consistent effort with their d/w's relating to their aviation titles. One can imagine what a bookshop window must have looked like back in the '30's with all those eye-catching, colourful jackets. These titles have long been a favourite of mine and ,over a period of 30 years, I have managed to acquire all those books relating directly to the war, in complete d/w's. The picture shows most of them. My favourites!

post-121514-0-88492900-1430560618_thumb.

A great photo and collection, well done.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing these terrific covers. Particularly like the earlier images - "Gambardier", a tragedy when you consider the current insipid cover. "Sulbatern on the Somme" and "Schlump" also simple yet very powerful. David Jones, author of "In Parenthesis" produced some beautiful covers and typography for his own work, post war.

Thanks for sharing these terrific covers. Particularly like the earlier images - "Gambardier", a tragedy when you consider the current insipid cover. "Sulbatern on the Somme" and "Schlump" also simple yet very powerful. David Jones, author of "In Parenthesis" produced some beautiful covers and typography for his own work, post war.

Glad you liked them, Will. I'm sure between us we can dig out a few more.

Unfortunately don't own these - but wish I did. As an illustrator I'm impressed to see that the Sassoon covers are a single piece of hand drawn artwork.

post-87057-0-70896900-1433155740_thumb.j

Lovely!

Glad you liked them, Will. I'm sure between us we can dig out a few more.

Thank you Alan. Have just spent a highly enjoyable half hour looking at your fascinating site. What an incredible collection of books and covers. I only hope other members will do the same.

Thank you Alan. Have just spent a highly enjoyable half hour looking at your fascinating site. What an incredible collection of books and covers. I only hope other members will do the same.

Glad you liked them, Will. Not all mine I'm afraid, probably only a third by now. Unfortunately there don't seem to be many collectors of such material around so it's getting increasingly hard to find fresh examples. I used to add a new image daily, now it's down to a couple a week. Rather a lost art these days, it seems to be easier to use a photo than commission an artist.

Not an uncommon book , but i do like this jacket.

post-52745-0-77460400-1433582913_thumb.j