Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Favourite Book Jacket

Dust Jacket Collector

Well done , a great jacket . Your fellow rare WW1 book collectors on the forum have each put in 40p and the £1.60 cheque is in the post .

P.S I seem to remember that copy was bought on e-bay by the book dealer for about £300 a few years ago and they then put it up 

for £900 ( they obviously weren't out for a quick sale ! )

Edited by Black Maria

• 2 years later...
On 17/06/2015 at 10:16, Dust Jacket Collector said:

It's true that many of the finest War books came with less than inspiring jackets. As a long-time collector of War poetry I rather wish they all came adorned as here, in this rather turgid collection by Harold Begbie, published by Constable in 1914.

post-35362-0-40216000-1434528401_thumb.j

Good afternoon... question about this book ... 

I'm currently reading the memoirs & letters of Canadian nursing sisters Mabel Clint and Helen Fowlds. Both are complaining about Harold Begbie criticizing the Canadian nurses, saying that their uniforms are a caricature and assuming they were not much worth, professionally, which eventually led to prejudice towards them by the British nurses. 

Is this in THIS book of his to be found?? 

If not, which one?? 

Thanks, 

Marilyne

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

Good afternoon... question about this book ... 

I'm currently reading the memoirs & letters of Canadian nursing sisters Mabel Clint and Helen Fowlds. Both are complaining about Harold Begbie criticizing the Canadian nurses, saying that their uniforms are a caricature and assuming they were not much worth, professionally, which eventually led to prejudice towards them by the British nurses. 

Is this in THIS book of his to be found?? 

If not, which one?? 

Thanks, 

Marilyne

Just been through all the awful poems in this book. Absolutely no reference to Canada, Nurses or anything they might have been offended by.
It seems Mr. Begbie did write quite a number of other books including a reply to Arthur Machen’s ‘The Bowmen’ but I don’t have that or any of his others.

Best of luck with the search.

4 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Just been through all the awful poems in this book. Absolutely no reference to Canada, Nurses or anything they might have been offended by.
It seems Mr. Begbie did write quite a number of other books including a reply to Arthur Machen’s ‘The Bowmen’ but I don’t have that or any of his others.

Best of luck with the search.

thanks. It's not that important, it was just a curiosity... 

M.

Superb collection, Charlie.

This thread has been dormant for too long so it’s good to see it revived. I’ll continue with these 4 Australian memoirs that have come my way over the last few years.

D004F9C2-0363-4246-9278-C37943507AB4.jpeg.44e4a86eb2bc0ce6c3f3f0f28782634e.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I've had this a while , ' A Stoker's Log ' by Henry Vincent published by Jarrolds (N.D but probably 1929 ) . I don't usually collect Naval books but thought this one may be a good read , when i eventually get around to it ! Unfortunately it's only the front cover pasted into the book which looks like it may have belonged to a relation of the author but i do like the design  . Picked it up quite cheaply and have seen other copies sell for a few pounds , although at the moment the only copy seems to be £100 . 

stoker's log.jpeg

2 hours ago, Black Maria said:

I've had this a while , ' A Stoker's Log ' by Henry Vincent published by Jarrolds (N.D but probably 1929 ) . I don't usually collect Naval books but thought this one may be a good read , when i eventually get around to it ! Unfortunately it's only the front cover pasted into the book which looks like it may have belonged to a relation of the author but i do like the design  . Picked it up quite cheaply and have seen other copies sell for a few pounds , although at the moment the only copy seems to be £100 . 

stoker's log.jpeg

Why have I never come across this before? Just as I thought the wants list was getting shorter. Superb.

20 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Why have I never come across this before? Just as I thought the wants list was getting shorter. Superb.

Sorry about that Alan :)... yes it's a very striking cover , hopefully an intact one will turn up one day .

• 4 weeks later...

After all these years it’s unusual for me to come across a book I’ve never heard of but this came as a complete surprise (if I’d studied my Enser more closely I’d have seen it). Alfred Fennah served throughout the War with the Liverpool Scottish, ending up as a Sergeant. It’s apparently a well regarded memoir which until now has sadly passed me by. I think it’s quite scarce being from a fairly obscure publisher, Houghton, in 1935.1090D4F5-A19B-4976-B34A-91F7E90EFB8D.jpeg.5b5ab79bb3c877ecaf8dc8f9fd319295.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

After all these years it’s unusual for me to come across a book I’ve never heard of but this came as a complete surprise (if I’d studied my Enser more closely I’d have seen it). Alfred Fennah served throughout the War with the Liverpool Scottish, ending up as a Sergeant. It’s apparently a well regarded memoir which until now has sadly passed me by. I think it’s quite scarce being from a fairly obscure publisher, Houghton, in 1935.

Well done Alan  , i've never heard of it either ! Nice jacket as well . He is mentioned on this thread .

• 8 months later...

I’ve coveted this book for years but usually it’s been too expensive. Having managed to negotiate a discount I’ve been able to treat myself to an early Christmas present. And what a splendid read it is, this tale of derring do on the high seas. How a lone sailor manages to escape captivity aboard a German cruiser and is able to delay it long enough to let it be captured by the British. Apparently it’s been filmed twice, once in 1935 starring John Mills. Forester himself did not see action, failing his medical through poor eyesight. The book was first published in 1929 but there have been several reprints since. (Resolution is the name of a fictional island in the Galapagos)IMG_0863.jpeg.7a3b8cc29b2abee5271f3361d123b974.jpeg

Excellent , well done ! A great jacket . I bought a signed copy of John Mill's autobiography a short while ago and in it he recalls shooting the film and doing his own stunts , one of which involved diving into the freezing water from a warship fortified by lots of Navy rum !

• Admin

Mr Y is after a copy of the 1950s McDonald edition of A Fox Under My Cloak by Henry Williamson. All the decent copies we’ve seen have been a bit too pricey. 

2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Mr Y is after a copy of the 1950s McDonald edition of A Fox Under My Cloak by Henry Williamson. All the decent copies we’ve seen have been a bit too pricey. 

If you don’t want a jacket there’s one on ABE for £15 otherwise nearer £50. It was always said to be one of the scarcest of the set.

• Admin

It’s the jacket he wants, we have a 1980s reprint, but the illustration of Tower Bridge on the original is what he’s after.