Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Favourite Book Jacket

Dust Jacket Collector

I'm not a great fan of plain dust jackets but this is one of my favourites because it only cost me £13 !

flash spotters forum.jpeg

This one should not really be on here, because it definitely isn't one of my favourites. But I thought it may be of interest to my fellow collector (s).

I first heard of it because it was listed in the excellent ' The Great War I was there' , so when I saw a copy for sale in it's jacket I purchased it .

Disappointment on two levels, the first being there is not much Great War content and the second .....

chorus to adventures forum.jpeg

1 hour ago, Black Maria said:

This jacket is a bit different as it has interest on both front and back.

goodbye tio all that ( front) forum.jpeg

goodbye to all that ( rear ) forum.jpeg

Thanks BM.  I love it.

I thought I'd put up some more colourful images after the recent spate of fairly monochrome ones. I've just acquired 'Boyd Cable's' 'Front Lines' so here are a few others of his which were reissued around the same time, 1918, with more vibrant jackets. 'Boyd Cable' was the pseudonym of Ernest Ewart who served in the War in the RFC, ending up I believe as a Lt. Col. although I haven't been able to find many biographical details for him. He later seems to have turned his hand to film scripts. The jacket illustrations are all by Fred Leist.

front lines copy.jpgaction front.jpgbetween the lines.jpg

grapes of wrath.jpgair men o'war.jpg

• 4 months later...

Here's one I recently acquired. It's a novel, published in 1922, about an Irish actor seeking work in London during the War. No combat scenes, I'm afraid, but it does recreate the atmosphere of being in the capital during those times. I particularly like the jacket image of the Wellington Arch against the spotlights. Sadly I can't quite make out the signature.

58ea01873a3ec_oriordanlondon.jpg.0a5fd141d765515f6419769fe965e90a.jpg

• 1 month later...

Not a scarce book but I've not seen the jacket before.

tank corps (forum).jpeg

Whilst on a motoring holiday in Wales, probably around 1954 when I would have been 10, we called in at Portmeirion.  My parents spent some time talking to Clough Williams-Ellis, whom my mother later recalled as 'really charming'. I was introduced to him and shook his hand, can only recall him as a tall grey haired figure carrying a walking cane and wearing a wide brimmed sun hat.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

3 hours ago, Black Maria said:

Not a scarce book but I've not seen the jacket before.

Nice copy, John. I wonder if there's a decent bibliography of WW1 tank books? I have quite a few but new ones still turn up.

56 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Nice copy, John. I wonder if there's a decent bibliography of WW1 tank books? I have quite a few but new ones still turn up.

Yes Alan , that would be useful if there was one . Two of my most sought after memoirs are tank books ( you already have them by the way :) )

Product DetailsMost if not all of the book jackets on this thread are pre-WW2, but this one is bang up to date. I think it very reminiscent of those jackets between the wars, and it reminds me of William Kermode's wood-cut illustrations in Henry Williamson's 'A Patriot's Progress' . I like it a lot.

Good to see a publisher using some decent graphic art for a change. Hope the books as good as its jacket as I've now ordered it.

Unless I was mistaken, I think I saw a paperback copy of this 'new history, in Waterstones today. Not sure that anyone has used simultaneous hard/ soft back before!

5 minutes ago, David Filsell said:

Unless I was mistaken, I think I saw a paperback copy of this 'new history, in Waterstones today. Not sure that anyone has used simultaneous hard/ soft back before!

Did the paperback have the same cover image, David?

Amazon shows an October publication date for the paperback :huh:. Same cover, apparently.

Yes, although it appears I may have been incorrect in my belief. It was the cover which you put up. I was struck also by the tautology 'new history'. I suspect that it's another book on Third Ypres with nothing new to say. Old milk in new bottles. I could be wrong on that too - it could have new revelations about the Field Marshal,s competence and strategic gifts. But somehow .....

17 hours ago, David Filsell said:

.. the tautology 'new history' ...

I believe that 'new history' is an oxymoron, not a tautology. I also belive that accuracy in the use of vocabulary is very important. And I'm unanimous on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for another addition to this thread, I think.

Brig. Gen. Charteris 'At G.H.Q.', published by Cassell in 1931 is not particularly scarce but this is only the second copy I've seen in its jacket. Charteris was Haig's Intelligence chief throughout the War and the book is based on his letters to his wife. I'm told he was fairly outspoken about his leaders and not shy of reporting the odd piece of gossip although I've not yet had time to read it.

59295a855efbc_charterisghq.jpg.1f0a79a9083e844d8c3a8fa2ba859199.jpg

Great jacket , well done . I did see it in T.D 's catalogue but as it hadn't appeared on his web site the day before I had assumed it was already sold.

• 1 month later...

This one has long been a favourite of mine but it rarely appears on the market. It's a personal account by an Austrian army officer & surgeon on the Russian & Italian fronts. He's highly critical of the Austrian High Command. Published by Covici-Friede in New York in 1936. As a bonus it's inscribed by Ackermann to a fellow doctor.

595e4663622b0_andwearecivilised.jpg.308cc7c2e06dfb8efd2ba1f0006f9e4e.jpg

First time I have seen a copy of the book jacket. Its a fascinating read  - and what a terrific bonus in the signature.

Good evening,

this is the book-cover of a publication by the German publisher ROWOHLT-VERLAG. It is a book that consists entirely of stills from the movie ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT directed by Lewis Milestone, produced by Carl Laemmle in 1930. It was based on Erich Maria Remarques novel of the same title (original: IM WESTEN NICHTS NEUES) published as a book in 1929. The film won an Oscar for best film. The screening of the film in Germany was disturbed by Nazi-trouble makers and the film forbidden, then allowed to be screened with cuts and from 1933 again forbidden. The book by Rowohlt from 1931 just presents the stills of the most important scenes of the film, maybe also to serve as surrogate for the time the film was banned before 1933. The novel itself but also the book with the film stills by Rowohlt were on the banned books lists of the Nazis (Bücherverbrennung).

GreyC

imWesten.jpg.f0b95ab2f45a1f145cbd81b21c729eb8.jpg