Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Favourite Book Jacket

Dust Jacket Collector

On 5/12/2017 at 15:54, Uncle George said:

I believe that 'new history' is an oxymoron, not a tautology. I also belive that accuracy in the use of vocabulary is very important. And I'm unanimous on this.

But to be even more pedantic- should it not be "New History" ?-the term used for the school of post-war left of centre historians in France (Lucien Febrvre,etc.) Thus, "new history" is oxymoronic but "New History" is a proper noun.

And mea culpa- I have yet to dig out Scheer "Germany's High Seas Fleet in the World War"-whose dustwrapper is my favourite. Buried deep in store in Suffolk...DJC-You will,alas, have to wait until I am well enough to drive out there

On sale in the latest Blackwell's Rare Books catalogue...

IMG_20170707_014640.jpg.b7d4285427e341bdb0093dd457999249.jpg

i was fortunate to a copy of this book for under 25% of this price i think it should  also have a thick  "greaseproof paper" type dust wrapper protector  

• 3 weeks later...

An American book, for a change - 'From Dardanelles to Palestine' by Captain Sarkis Tarossian. Published by the Meador Publishing Company in Boston in 1947. Captain Tarossian was of Armenian descent & fought at Gallipoli as an Artillery observer in the Turkish army. After the Armenian genocide he switched sides & commanded 6.000 Arabian horsemen with the Allied army to Damascus. Apparently a highly controversial book, because of the Armenian question, the Turkish authorities attempting to discredit it but which has subsequently been shown to be an authentic account. It's the first time I've ever come across a copy.

5974b2bcab867_dardanellestopalestine.jpg.decb8578be5ff40262c8857527f40721.jpg

• 7 months later...

Recently saw this being sold quite cheaply on e-bay , I'm not into poetry books but with such a great jacket I had to buy it !

It's an ex-IWM library book , part of a special collection ( wonder what the original donator would think ? )

city of fear forum.jpeg

Great image, John - pity about the poetry within. He should have stuck to fiction as ‘Peter Jackson’ is a rather fine book. Nice to see this thread revived - I must see if I’ve acquired anything appropriate.

1 hour ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Great image, John - pity about the poetry within. He should have stuck to fiction as ‘Peter Jackson’ is a rather fine book. Nice to see this thread revived - I must see if I’ve acquired anything appropriate.

Yes, I don't think I will be bothering with actually reading it !  I know this is on your site ,  like yours the spine of the wrap around jacket is sunned so

I have just scanned the front and back.

whizz bangs front forum.jpeg

whizz bangs back forum.jpeg

This one is quite topical at the moment , you've seen the film now read the book .

journey's end forum.jpeg

The jacket image from ‘Whizz-Bangs’ would have been perfect for ‘Journeys End’.

1 hour ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

The jacket image from ‘Whizz-Bangs’ would have been perfect for ‘Journeys End’.

Yes you're right , it would have been . Although it was unusual for Gollancz books to have a pictorial jacket I don't really think much

of the one they chose .

• 1 year later...

Here’s one I’ve been looking for for a very long time - the Gloucestershire poet F. W. Harvey’s account of his time in 7 different German prisons. The image was apparently drawn by a fellow inmate called ‘Jackson’. Friend of Ivor Gurney, Harvey was a Lt. in the 5th Gloucesters and holder of the DCM.

37D9B9E9-6DFC-4444-AEA4-EE2BC177EAFB.jpeg.e67a7c2a46fb7bffbc133c2f92accda1.jpeg

On the other side of the wire a German soldier of a Landsturm-unit. There were some explicitly named after the task of guarding POW camps, such as IX.37 – Bewachungs-Kompagnie Neumünster (IX. AK) or the Saxon unit of which I attach a unit-stamp.

GreyC

xLandsturmbewachungskomp_1_II.jpg.4922de25afc0d6de8aa5b49b97711b2d.jpg

Edited by GreyC

I've been looking for this for quite a few years as well , after i missed out on a jacketed copy on e-bay ( Mr DP won it ) . Unusually for me i decided to wait for another

copy in it's jacket to turn up rather than buy one of the two other copies ( sans jackets ) that were then for sale . They eventually sold and until about a month ago 

i've never seen another copy with or without jacket , then a boots library copy turned up , followed by this one . I assume Tom D may still have the DP copy so that

one may eventually turn up in one of his catalogues .

prisoners grave and gay.jpeg

Excellent John. Actually I was after the copy on eBay that DP bought as well. He must have tired of it rather quickly because he contacted me and asked if I’d like to buy it, which I did. Always good to know where these things end up.

54 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Excellent John. Actually I was after the copy on eBay that DP bought as well. He must have tired of it rather quickly because he contacted me and asked if I’d like to buy it, which I did. Always good to know where these things end up.

Ah, that's interesting Alan , i did notice that you had acquired a copy but i hadn't realised it was the same one . I was a bit annoyed when bidding for the book as my 

computer crashed just when i was about to bid , but when i found out that DP had got it i realised that i hadn't stood a chance anyway .

10 minutes ago, GreyC said:

I like the cover because of its simple yet effective graphic design.

GreyC

Yes i agree, i'm not a great fan of plain jackets but there is something very appealing about this one .

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/11/2019 at 13:44, GreyC said:

On the other side of the wire a German soldier of a Landsturm-unit. There were some explicitly named after the task of guarding POW camps, such as IX.37 – Bewachungs-Kompagnie Neumünster (IX. AK) or the Saxon unit of which I attach a unit-stamp.

Most interesting - as you know I obsessively collect knowledge of obscure Saxon formations, and this is a new one on me. Of course the stamp does not explicitly state that the unit is Saxon, although attached to Saxon 23.ID / XII.AK, but the sender's girlfriend(?) being in Dresden certainly supports the idea.

The following Saxon Bewachungstruppen certainly did exist, and were generally attached to a Kriegsgefangenen-Arbeiter-Bataillon (mobile POW labour battalion, operating behind the front) of the same number:

Bewachungs-Kompagnie Nr.68
Bewachungs-Kompagnie Nr.69
Bewachungs-Kompagnie Nr.91
(I.) Bewachungs-Kompagnie Nr.95
II. Bewachungs-Kompagnie Nr.95
Bewachungs-Kompagnie Nr.96
Bewachungs-Kompagnie Nr.97
Bewachungs-Kompagnie Diedenhofen

Companies from conventional Landsturm infantry battalions were also widely used for the same purpose. Entire battalions were employed as camp guards in Germany, e.g. Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillon Grossenhain XII.8 at Königsbrück (the largest camp in Saxony).

Edited by bierast

• 1 month later...

A couple that came my way recently on the Ruhleben prison camp. It was situated in a former racecourse just outside Berlin & was where British expats were sent for the duration. Judging by the photos it was pretty grim to start with but ended up looking more like Butlins! Neither book, from 1917 & 1919, are particularly scarce but I’ve not seen either in a jacket before.0965E0D0-EF51-4A48-81A4-86C0B50ABFC8.jpeg.188a79ffd9d1b6e1c6592c8f245e90a1.jpeg

Well done Alan , I'll have to get around to read my copy of Ellison's ' Escaped ! ' which i think is the only book i own on the subject :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of my favourite jackets , seen a couple of copies for sale recently ( TD's copy was over £100 ) . Picked this one up today from a local book fair for £10 ,

It's the 1943 reprint ( i think TD's was the 1937 reprint ) . Like another one i have seen recently it had a dust jacket for another book printed on the inside , i

suppose this was to save paper as it was printed in wartime . N&M Press have used the same image on the front of their recent reprint .

her privates we dj forum.jpeg

Edited by Black Maria

1 hour ago, Black Maria said:

This is one of my favourite jackets , seen a couple of copies for sale recently ( TD's copy was over £100 ) . Picked this one up today from a local book fair for £10 ,

It's the 1943 reprint ( i think TD's was the 1937 reprint ) . Like another one i have seen recently it had a dust jacket for another book printed on the inside , i

suppose this was to save paper as it was printed in wartime . N&M Press have used the same image on the front of their recent reprint .

A good buy. I have the same copy. I wonder if they used the same repurposed jacket - mine is for a book called ‘Viewless Winds’ by Moran (no, never heard of it either).

5 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

A good buy. I have the same copy. I wonder if they used the same repurposed jacket - mine is for a book called ‘Viewless Winds’ by Moran (no, never heard of it either).

Mine is a biography of Charles Dickens , so it looks like they did it randomly . 

2 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

‘Viewless Winds’ by Moran (no, never heard of it either).

Viewless winds : being the recollections and digressions of an Australian surgeon / by Herbert M. Moran. London : Peter Davies, 1939.

Lt RAMC with GW service in Gallipoli, Mesopotamia and the Western Front. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Moran

Edit: (I hadn't heard of it either; I just looked it up).

Edited by seaJane