Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Favourite Book Jacket

Dust Jacket Collector

They don't get much better than the next two Paul Nash jackets.

post-52745-0-06044200-1433585181_thumb.j

Both books written by Richard Aldington.

post-52745-0-50713400-1433585239_thumb.j

More Please!

Wow.

Major Corbett-Smith's 1916 account of the Retreat from Mons, it's very hard to find a copy in it's original jacket nowadays.

post-52745-0-89056500-1433667371_thumb.j

This is his next book, also not that easy to find in it's jacket ( although T.D did have a copy for sale quite recently).

post-52745-0-93826600-1433667768_thumb.j

Not an uncommon book but a nice jacket.

And the follow up.

post-52745-0-71793500-1433669010_thumb.j

post-52745-0-00505500-1433669069_thumb.j

I am a book collector of certain volumes, as some of you know, so have some knowledge of purchasing book in DWs, so know the effort involved getting some volumes, and have even exhibited parts of my collection. Can I just say that may of these DW's are outstanding and should be the subject of exhibition at a national museum, really outstanding. Thankyou very much!

I am a book collector of certain volumes, as some of you know, so have some knowledge of purchasing book in DWs, so know the effort involved getting some volumes, and have even exhibited parts of my collection. Can I just say that may of these DW's are outstanding and should be the subject of exhibition at a national museum, really outstanding. Thankyou very much!

Your welcome, and I do agree with you, there were some fantastic dust jackets produced between the wars.

I've contacted both the IWM and the British Library on several occasions in the past offering these books for exhibition. The IWM said they had no plans for any exhibition which might involve such things & the BL said they'd keep me in mind!!

I've contacted both the IWM and the British Library on several occasions in the past offering these books for exhibition. The IWM said they had no plans for any exhibition which might involve such things & the BL said they'd keep me in mind!!

My favorite bibliophile exhibition was the Oscar Wilde one at the New York Public Library, the BL is more likely but have you tried the NYPL?

My favorite bibliophile exhibition was the Oscar Wilde one at the New York Public Library, the BL is more likely but have you tried the NYPL?

The thought of the whole collection disappearing on it's way across the pond doesn't bear thinking about. What I'd suggested to the IWM was to repeat their excellent 'Anthem for Doomed Youth' exhibition on the War Poets, which made good use of printed material, with a similar one on the great prose works of the War. Sadly it fell on very deaf ears. I don't think they like dusty old books much, as you well know!

The thought of the whole collection disappearing on it's way across the pond doesn't bear thinking about. What I'd suggested to the IWM was to repeat their excellent 'Anthem for Doomed Youth' exhibition on the War Poets, which made good use of printed material, with a similar one on the great prose works of the War. Sadly it fell on very deaf ears. I don't think they like dusty old books much, as you well know!

Do they eat books in the US? Look at their website, they really appreciate them.

More dust wrappers please, or I will put some boring brown ones up, and wax lyrical about them.

Here are a few more then. The Snook is a real classic :-

post-35362-0-58730700-1433709440_thumb.j

This one is extremely scarce being so early :-

post-35362-0-52806900-1433709524_thumb.j

and this rare abstract from Paul Nash for Sieveking's War novel :-

post-35362-0-05690100-1433709596_thumb.j

Another 3 pearls!

Some of the best jackets are those concerned with the air war.

post-52745-0-05436200-1433754860_thumb.j

Many of these would make wonderful posters. The Paul Nash "Death of a Hero" is crying out to be enlarged and put on a wall. Brilliant stuff.

A great jacket for this escaper's memoir.

post-52745-0-55325900-1433839489_thumb.j

The V&A in 1949 held an international exhibition on Dustjackets, http://www.which.co.uk/campaigns/nuisance-calls-and-texts/, I wonder if any GW books where in it?

Did the Germans do any interesting ones?

Did the Germans do any interesting ones?

They did. There's a very small selection of them on my website.

Your link above only took me to a page on nuisance calls, but I'm in France at the moment & links often get corrupted by the time they reach me.

I'll put some more pictures up when I get home.

They did. There's a very small selection of them on my website.

Your link above only took me to a page on nuisance calls, but I'm in France at the moment & links often get corrupted by the time they reach me.

I'll put some more pictures up when I get home.

Opps thanks, link edited.

And another of my favourites.

Also interesting as the first time Coningsby Dawson is acknowledged as the author of 'Love of an Unknown Soldier'

Also interesting as the first time Coningsby Dawson is acknowledged as the author of 'Love of an Unknown Soldier'

That's true, and it also happens to be another of my favourite jackets.

This one is another aviation jacket.

post-52745-0-08135200-1434018324_thumb.j