Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New-UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929

Skipman

I went to my local library today but the record was not available. I have only got the basic Ancestry - soooo frustrating.

Hi.

As I posted midweek soldiers effects is on Ancestry Library Edition.

I found it via the new additions/updates shortcut on the Home Page.

Regards

Steve

Sally,

Do you mean your library doesn't have ancestry access, or that the records aren't visible when you search?

It seems the library .com edition was a few days behind the regular subsciption site with adding the records.

I've been looking at many an entry at my local library this week, although the transcriptions leave a lot to be desired.

Derek, the Library has access to Ancestry but the records are not visible when I search. Maybe I was looking at Ancestry.co.uk instead of Ancestry.com? I did check with the Librarian and she couldn't find the UK Army Reg. either but will check with someone more senior on Monday.

Are you using your own computer or one of theirs? Remember you can't log into the library version using your own account details.

Derek.

I have found this set of records useful where soldiers died of wounds enabling me to find out exactly where they died - thanks to LLT for listing locations of the casualty clearing stations :thumbsup: .

Where they should be of most use IMHO is where you have multiple candidates for "your" man, by including the NOK these should help confirm which is the man you want.

As others have said I also had issues with transcription errors for surnames - IF known use the service number this normally solves the problem with Ancestry military records.

Derek, I was using the Library computer and logging in with my Library Card which is what I have done in the past and have been able to acccess

Ancestry via the Family History section of Cambs CC 'Home Page'. I did check the new addition/updates but no luck.

Sally

Did you search through the CARD CATALOGUE?

1. Go to Ancestry Home Page

2. Find Record Collections (RH side of page) and then More Collections

4. Click on Card Catalogue (list of data collections)

5. Title (LH side of page) : Type in: UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929

6. Tick : Only records from the UK and Ireland

7. SEARCH

Apologies if you did look in the Card Collection, and failed!

CGM

I have just sent a page to Terry Denham in the hope that, finally, one of my men may be accepted for commemoration. Here's hoping...

Yes, I thought it might save the expense of a death certificate.

Very useful source- found the hospital ship a man 'died at sea' died on.

Relations missing from CWGC's additional information.

Kath.

Did paybooks maybe have the info? On CWGC many nok are not listed so they must have got their info from somewhere different. In the case of a man never found the info must have come from somewhere. |The question is where from?

Johnboy, it must have been the service record. I've been looking at one of my POWs tonight. Thanks to the handy quick link from Mike earlier I was just able to edit seaerch and get him. This man has a surviving service record and his date and details of death from his effects record and service record are the same. Both of these dates being the same (5/6 August) differ from the CWGC record and death cert. by over 2 months (16 October).

Hello

When looking up one relative I found the payout was made following a 'Committee of Adjustment'

Any ideas what that would be about?

Cheers

Bernie

Might be helpful to know the whole thing exactly. The Standing Committee of Adjustment was the organisation in place (and still is today, as far as I am aware) that handled the effects of deceased servicemen. They stored everything and it was sorted into Service property and personal effects and it was packaged up and went out from there to NOK. I did see something a while back about some stuff belonging to an officer being sold off at Aldershot (I think) and assumed that was as per his wishes and the proceeds went to his family.

Johnboy, it must have been the service record. I've been looking at one of my POWs tonight. Thanks to the handy quick link from Mike earlier I was just able to edit seaerch and get him. This man has a surviving service record and his date and details of death from his effects record and service record are the same. Both of these dates being the same (5/6 August) differ from the CWGC record and death cert. by over 2 months (16 October).

If the nok info came from service records why are only some recorded by CWGC?

If the nok info came from service records why are only some recorded by CWGC?

My understanding is a "final verification form" was sent out by CWGC to the soldiers next of kin to fill out.

If it wasn't sent back, or returned with nothing extra on it, the casualty got the bare bones entry, only forename initial, no age or additional info. So when you see an age, family details and even forename, these details were added on by the next of kin.

Similar query here: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=218205&p=2159284

Derek.

A reply to this question from celiatoo:

Posted Yesterday, 06:59 PM

I have found a record of my Gt Uncle oscar John Holmes in these records as he was KIA in Jan 1915. However, it has revealed another little mystery as his effects were paid to his mother and 2 of his brothers. The brothers I know about but I have been unable to trace what happened to his mother after 1901 and this record seems to prove she was still alive in 1919. Do you know if the Army Musuem at Chelsea would hold further info about where the money was sent. Does anyone know how the money was paid out? Cash? postal order? how did the relatives get the money? Also there are various army abbreviations I don't understand can anyone throw any light on them please?

You may have tried this, apologies if you have, but did she re-marry between 1901 and the 1911 census?

e.g. An Annie HOLMES married either Thomas GRAHAN or George Edward SMITH, in 1904. The marriage was registered in Birkenhead, Cheshire.

CGM

• 2 weeks later...

I have merged two other related threads into this one - there might be a little duplication as a result.

Keith Roberts

I am finding this register really useful - it has meant revisiting much of my research, but in some cases it has confirmed units, in others relatives, and in the best yet, has produced the only confirmation in surviving records of a deduction that I had arrived at, by other means, which was that a man served under an alias. Interestingly the man's funds were invested in national savings certificates for a daughter apparently born in France, and which were cashed in via the Consul in Havre in 1936, presumably when the daughter reached 21. I do wonder whether his parents in the UK knew about this child.

Keith

Might be helpful to know the whole thing exactly. The Standing Committee of Adjustment was the organisation in place (and still is today, as far as I am aware) that handled the effects of deceased servicemen. They stored everything and it was sorted into Service property and personal effects and it was packaged up and went out from there to NOK. I did see something a while back about some stuff belonging to an officer being sold off at Aldershot (I think) and assumed that was as per his wishes and the proceeds went to his family.

Many thanks for your reply

I've attached a copy of the entry, it's the only one on the page to refer to a Committee which is what set me to wondering about it, maybe more so now if the Committee handled the effects of all deceased servicemen – why would this one receive a mention ...

Bernie

post-38799-0-32851500-1423328371_thumb.j

A general comment re the search. I have had quite a few failures using the name search, in every single case removing the name and searching just on the service number produced a result within the first or second pages of names, normally revealing transcription errors in the names, some understandable because of poor handwriting, a few inexcusable.

Keith

A general comment re the search. I have had quite a few failures using the name search, in every single case removing the name and searching just on the service number produced a result within the first or second pages of names, normally revealing transcription errors in the names, some understandable because of poor handwriting, a few inexcusable.

Keith

I had the same experience using Ancestry in general, last night. I put in his full name and service number and got 0. I took out his Christian name and just left his surname and service number, inserted his regiment and I got him. Strangely, I got got a single hit, for the medal roll entry but I found what I was lookinf for there. His MIC would have done the trick anyway. It's happened on the few occasions I have had to search recently.

Hi,

From memory I think it is the form that was sent to the next of kin of deceased service personnel asking for all family members to be listed so disposal of the effects could de determined in the absence of a will.

You regularly see the completed forms on ancestry service files.

Regards

Steve Y

Any idea what A.F.W. 5070 SENT Means

2wfl2zq.jpg

Mike

Any idea what A.F.W. 5070 SENT Means

2wfl2zq.jpg

Mike

Authorized For Warrant? Warrant being Money Order.