Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New-UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929

Skipman

It is a pity that enlistment dates are not shown. I know my relative was in France for aprox 13 months before he was KIA. If he did the minimum training of 8 weeks that would give him a time served as aprox 15 months. His mother received a gratuity of £3.00.0 plus another unexplained payment of £4.10.00

The £3. equates to 60 days pay at 1s per day.

The £3.00 given to the T.F. Privates that I have checked were for men who signed up either pre-war or in the early days of the war. They went overseas on the 19/20 April 15 and were killed on 26 April 15.

Craig

My relative was not TF

Two examples of £3 plus a supplement of £4.10.00

P166 and P 215

Hello

When looking up one relative I found the payout was made following a 'Committee of Adjustment'

Any ideas what that would be about?

Cheers

Bernie

Usefull tool, also gives identity of Military Hospitals in which subject died.( ie ' Northern ' into keyword.)

Sobering thought - my 21 year old great uncle kia Palestine - monies owed balanced to monies due - War Gratuity pd to father GBP14.10.0d.

Not a great recognition for a young death in service of his country,although I suppose you could throw in the Medals and Plaque.

Unfortunately when I went to have a look at these records in my local library it appears 'ancestry library edition' is the .com version, they dont have them available... Yet. :(

• Admin

Sorry if I'm being dim but I've looked at 10 records and cant for the life of me see the enlistment date, can you point me to it please

Thanks

Me neither, perhaps if we keep bumping it up someone will point us in the right direction.

If they died of wounds in France I can't see a hospital either.

Ken

33 Casualty Clearing Station at Bethune 28/9/15 to 10/3/18.

Hazel,

Ancestry are doing that with a number of their records now. I started noticing it just before Christmas.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

It had been driving me nuts. I couldn't find it and knew I had seen it. Didn't know it was a change they had made.

Hazel

Hi

As per my previous post, I was looking at pre war

Heres one at random

attachicon.gifaccounts.jpg

Regards,

Graeme

The pre war entries seem to be slightly differently laid out. The ones covering the war have red stamps and loads of numerical references.

I suspect some of you are expecting too much of these records.
They are really just a record of the amount paid out to the Next of Kin after money owed had been deducted.
I'll repeat what I wrote on the previous page:
If a soldier died and his service record was one of those destroyed during WW2, and he did not serve abroad so no medal index card was produced, his Soldiers' Effects record could be the first official document you find which actually proves he served.
And I am going to add that seeing the NOK who received the money may just be what you need to confirm that the soldier you only have a medal index card and number for is, or is definitely not, the soldier you are attempting to research.
Information about levels of pay, eligibility and amounts of gratuities will be found elsewhere.
CGM

Information about levels of pay, eligibility and amounts of gratuities will be found elsewhere.

Give us a clue!

Craig gave a link in post #35. It details what the minimum payments were. Unfortunately, because it does not give an enlistment date it is very hit and miss trying to work out the payment awarded.

For me they are a wonderful research, I found out my Great Uncle died in 61 Field Ambulance and now, thanks to help on GWF, I have found out where this was and will be paying a visit to the area when I next go to France.

Was the place of death given as 61 FA?

The infantry sheets I have seen filled in by Hounslow only give the country eg France.

Would anyone know if these registers are classed as official military documents?.

Walter

As they seem to be made out by an army records office , yes.

They seem to record money order numbers and who the money was sent to.

Bear in mind that there are bound to be some errors due to the sheer number of records they contain and the info being taken from other documents where the writing may be open to interpretation

Sorry me again, just checking and was looking at page 160 to165 and on my laptop the images are upside down, anyone else?

these records are up to 1923 so far i have looked

Walter.

Thanks Johnboy.

Josiah Brush, everything points to him been Killed in 1915 and on C.W.G.C. states 1918 (not a typo), with this evidence hope to maybe get rectified.

Walter