Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New-UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929

Skipman

They don't give a great deal of information, but interesting enough.

Where did these records come from, and what else is out there waiting to be digitised?

Mike

Details on the Database:

Soldiers' Effects Records, 1901–60. National Army Museum, Chelsea, London, England. The National Army Museum gives no warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or fitness for the purpose of the information provided. Images may be used only for purposes of research, private study or education. Applications for any other use should be made to: The National Army Museum, Royal Hospital Road, Chelsea, London SW3 4HT, Tel: 020 7730 0717.

About UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929

This database contains records detailing the money owed to soldiers of the British Army who died in service from 1901 to 1929. A small percentage of soldiers who were discharged as ‘insane’ are also listed here. Records typically include the name of the soldier, his next of kin and their relationship, the date of death and sometimes the place, plus other details. In cases where the soldier was discharged as insane, the place and date of discharge are often recorded in the place and date of death field. The inclusion of the next of kin makes these records particularly valuable to family historians, as this information can help researchers take a family back another generation or distinguish between soldiers with the same name. Early records also list a soldier’s trade before enlistment.

Payments went first to widows, or, if the soldier wasn’t married, to a parent (often a mother) or siblings.

OH NO !!

More work !!

I just put in 'Walsall' and the first one I looked at died in 1904 so that means MORE pre-WW1 research to add to my project !!

Interesting though,

Regards,

Graeme

PS fantastic resource, dates of enlistment etc etc etc. Many thanks Mike for the heads up, appreciate it.

Graeme

A welcome digitisation and on-line availability of records that have previously only been available by application (& payment per record) to the NAM (Click for a previous discussion). My only gripe - as seems to be the case with most of Ancestry's new additions these days - is that these records are not available on the basic membership, a 'Premium' or 'World' package being required.

NigelS

The title "Soldiers Effects" is a bit of a misnomer - as it seems to be a listing of monies owed to a soldier, rather than "effects" sent home.

I only have the basic Ancestry and can view the records, as Graeme has said "more work" just found one of mine who died described as insane which I never knew. Ralph.

This is super Mike. I also was a bit disappointed there were no bits and pieces listed! Another few bits of the puzzle though.

Thanks,

Hazel

I just searched one of my relatives, who was paralysed in 1903, whilst in the Army, his death in the records is shown as 16.2.04, which was his discharge date. He was transferred from Netley Hospital to the Norfolk Asylum and died on 8.9.05. Cause of death in the database is shown as insanity.

Mark

Thanks for the link Mike

You're all more than welcome-thanks to Ancestry for making them available, and getting the search right from the start. I did find one " Leaforth Highlander " but will forgive them that?

Mike

You're all more than welcome-thanks to Ancestry for making them available, and getting the search right from the start. I did find one " Leaforth Highlander " but will forgive them that?

Mike

A previously unknown regiment to research.

Craig

I have just sent a page to Terry Denham in the hope that, finally, one of my men may be accepted for commemoration. Here's hoping...

Great link. Thanks Mike.

Thanks for the heads up Mike - I too have already found little snippets we did not know, like enlistment dates.

Hi. Is there anyone with a subscription to Ancestry who could look up a record for me in the UK Army Registers of Soldiers Effects 1901-1929, this set of records have only come on line lately. It's for: John Reilly: 14102: Royal Garrison Artillary: death date 1916.

Thanks, Vinnie.

I only have the basic Ancestry and can view the records...

I hate to say it, but are you sure you only have the so called 'essentials' package? I can search, but not view any of the results obtained (working fine with BMDs, MICs, census, etc); any attempt to investigate further results in a request to upgrade to the 'Premium' or 'Worldwide' packages.

NigelS

I have looked up 2 of my ancestors. An amount shown for "credits" then "charges" and a "war gratuity" . So was credits arrears of pay ? Gratuity paid to next of kin as per will ?

Vinnie against GWF rules to ask for look ups on Ancestry , but as my family are from Co Sligo and you are from Wexford - by the luck of the Irish I came across this for J Reilly - Died of wounds 5 Jan 1916 33 CCS Sgt 44102 RGA , credit £18/6/5d Father & sole legate John £11/0/0d :thumbsup: