Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New-UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929

Skipman

Maybe a look at the money order numbers from the man above and the one below. If they run in sequence and have the same death date that should give a better idea. The only thing is the date when the sheets were written.

I haven't quite worked out how useful these records are but they're certainly interesting. I've found records for men I'm researching who died during the Boer War or who were serving before the Great War. For example, one chap who died in India in 1904 (and payment was split between his (named) mother, two brothers and three sisters). And another one who committed suicide in Uganda in 1909 (although it doesn't state how he died in these records).

Ann

Thanks Johnboy.

Josiah Brush, everything points to him been Killed in 1915 and on C.W.G.C. states 1918 (not a typo), with this evidence hope to maybe get rectified.

Walter

Medal Roll for 1914 Star gives death date 14/1/15

"Medal Roll for 1914 Star gives death date 14/1/15"

Thank you John, i forgot to even check these for Joshua, so more evidence. along with newspaper obit, Index to war deaths.

​Now all this evidence and still probably need Death Cert, and at one time was told on good authority that the Overseas death cert could be crossed out and 1918 inserted, and to tell the truth reluctant to spend on DC, so will send of all details to C.W.G.C. and let them decide.

Just subscribe to Ancestry today, got a deal £20 for 4 months, usually just go to Library but couldn't wait to see my G.Grandfathers entry on Soldiers Effects, £24,10 gratuity.

Walter

post-64827-0-55197600-1421544873_thumb.j

I'm finding quite a lot of the usual Ancestry transcription errors. Lastnames especially are full of errors. if at first you don't succeed, try a search on regimental number alone. That has found me 4 of the first 10 I have looked for when name searches came up blank. I'll be worn out reporting the errors at this rate.

Keith

Is it a correct assumption to make that the payment and to whom on these records are linked [in some way] to the soldiers will ?. For example for my great uncle the amount shown is £3.7s and in the payment column it shows £2.17s 6d to his mother Agnes [NOK] and 9s 6d to Emily, one of his elder sisters.

So he must have recorded somewhere [his will?] that is what he wished otherwise how or why did the War Office [know or decide] to pay some money to his NOK [mother] and some money to one of his older sisters, I should add the great uncle was number 4 child of 9.

regards

Peter

Don't know if has been mentioned but the transcribing is not too brilliant, two searches I carried out: looking for number 45612 has been transcribed to 56512, when it is fairly obvious it is a 4 not 5, and how Charles got changed to Charle with out the "S" when it again it is obvious I'll never know.

Don't think is the first or last like this. That said interesting set of records non the less

Is it a correct assumption to make that the payment and to whom on these records are linked [in some way] to the soldiers will ?. For example for my great uncle the amount shown is £3.7s and in the payment column it shows £2.17s 6d to his mother Agnes [NOK] and 9s 6d to Emily, one of his elder sisters.

So he must have recorded somewhere [his will?] that is what he wished otherwise how or why did the War Office [know or decide] to pay some money to his NOK [mother] and some money to one of his older sisters, I should add the great uncle was number 4 child of 9.

regards

Peter

I would assume any money would go direct to his NOK unless he stated otherwise . His will may be available here - https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#soldiers

Craig

Don't know if has been mentioned but the transcribing is not too brilliant, two searches I carried out: looking for number 45612 has been transcribed to 56512, when it is fairly obvious it is a 4 not 5, and how Charles got changed to Charle with out the "S" when it again it is obvious I'll never know.

Don't think is the first or last like this. That said interesting set of records non the less

It wouldn't be Ancestry (or as fun a challenge ^_^ ) if the indexing was accurate.

Craig

I had a look for the four men listed in my signature list. All four have a record in this set.

Joseph Spencer has 2 entries, both refer to the other entry. Oddly, (from what I can work out) the earliest record in book 233 has the most up to date entries and the red stamp for War Gratuity. This one has two accounts for July 17, 2 months after death. Plus there is a date of July 19 added in red, this is missing from the later book 265 entry.

The account for July 18 is in the later book as a recharge. Not saying this is an entry error or not but book 233 has a sum of money given as £11/10-/- as a credit and the amount authorised but the date for this sum is given as 11/10/19 - coincidence??

Book 233, record No. 422500.

Book 265, record No. 469556.

Possibly the most informative bit at present is the name of his wife.

TEW

I would assume any money would go direct to his NOK unless he stated otherwise . His will may be available here - https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#soldiers

Craig

Thanks for the information Craig. No will to be found. I must just assume that he had made his intentions known somehow for a small amount to go to one of his older sisters as the 9s 6d was paid directly to her [with her name being recorded] with the remainder paid to his mother as opposed to all going to his mother then she handing some to the older sister. Still research would not be fun if all the answers where there.

regards

Peter

Did paybooks maybe have the info? On CWGC many nok are not listed so they must have got their info from somewhere different. In the case of a man never found the info must have come from somewhere. |The question is where from?

Did paybooks maybe have the info? On CWGC many nok are not listed so they must have got their info from somewhere different. In the case of a man never found the info must have come from somewhere. |The question is where from?

From the Paybook I would guess in the absence of a will ( I have my doubts that the probate collection is complete) but in the absence of the will they distributed to the NOK (there's a form I've seen in service records which asks for relatives info so that NOK can be determined),

Craig

I have seen them on service records as you say. Also on some forms a further list of names of blood relatives. Can't be sure but these may have been on casualty sheets.

I am not sure but did the paybook contain a short will?

I have just managed to find the wife of one of the men am researching (spent asmall fortune over the years guessing, as did not know wife's name). I do not think I would have managed to do this without them. :thumbsup:

Mike

Johnboy Yes Alfred Davies place of death is given as 61 Field Ambulance. I have looked at a few other relatives that died and their place of death is France, Belgium etc, but in Alfred's case it does state 61 Field Ambulance.

On CWGC many nok are not listed so they must have got their info from somewhere different. In the case of a man never found the info must have come from somewhere. |The question is where from?

CWGC got its info from the Final Verification Form sent to registered next of kin.

judithb

I suppose different record offices had their own ways? But what good luck for you.

CWGC got its info from the Final Verification Form sent to registered next of kin.

So does that mean that those GWGC listings without nok were returned as ' gone away'.?

My understanding is all casualties next of kin received the final verification form. So only what they filled in regarding forename, age, gallantry medals and 'additional info', if anything, is shown on their cwgc entry.

Thank you so much for this. Netley records are very hard to find.

Edited by jgreen