Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusually Named People of the Great War

6 hours ago, dgibson150 said:

There was also a Harry Sherlock Holmes #78259 who was in the 9th Battalion Tank Corps (via Northern Cyclists).

David

Well well!

15 hours ago, b3rn said:
Turks who served with the AIF at Gallipoli.

401 William Charles James TURK
13th Battalion, 3rd Reinforcement

419 Sydney Arthur Calob TURK
19th Battalion, A Company

2605 Charles William TURK
Railway Supply Detachment, Army Service Corps

No Johnny? 

16 hours ago, b3rn said:
Turks who served with the AIF at Gallipoli.

401 William Charles James TURK
13th Battalion, 3rd Reinforcement

419 Sydney Arthur Calob TURK
19th Battalion, A Company

2605 Charles William TURK
Railway Supply Detachment, Army Service Corps

What about the hundreds of men from Llanelli, Wales?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanelli#History

Did any of them have particularly unusual names (as opposed to the nickname Turks)?

Ron

32 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Did any of them have particularly unusual names (as opposed to the nickname Turks)?

Ron

No Ron not that I'm aware of.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Philibert Marie Victor Colombe, Bank of England Clerk and one Wilfred R. Bion's Tank Crew at Ypres and Cambrai.  no.8 section 14th Coy. "E" Bn. 

MGC (Motor) before Tanks.  Service papers have survived.

There are some more names for the West African Contingent in WO 329/2330 (RE IWT BW&V medals). The names include Blackman Trouble, Cold Lake Morning, One Day Gentleman and Half Past Five.

Edited by brianmorris547

• 2 months later...

He's a favourite of a colleague of mine you came across him during The National Archives' Traces Through Time project (which was finding automated ways to link people across records).  He's quite easy to find across quite a range of records (though people haven't alwayss transcribed him very accurately).  You can see how this gets picked up in Discovery here http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C12463293 (and note how the fact it's definitely the crrect name is confirmed!)

I refuse to believe that there was a Relax Singh in a Punjab regiment.

49 minutes ago, David_Underdown said:

He's a favourite of a colleague of mine you came across him during The National Archives' Traces Through Time project (which was finding automated ways to link people across records).  He's quite easy to find across quite a range of records (though people haven't alwayss transcribed him very accurately).  You can see how this gets picked up in Discovery here http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C12463293 (and note how the fact it's definitely the crrect name is confirmed!)

On his Air79 Service Record, next to his name, someone has written in half past 2

Steve

Even Admiralty clerks get bored (or Air Ministry even)

Edited by David_Underdown

On 03/09/2014 at 09:38, Gareth Davies said:

6. Admiral The Hon Reginald Aylmer Ranfurly Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax

Born a Plunkett but added the other 3 as a result of maternal inheritances. He served on HMS Lion. Wiki has some more detail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Drax His grandson (an ex Grenadier I believe) is MP for South Dorset.

Headed the British mission to Moscow in 1939, when the Nazis concluded the Non-Aggression Pact under everyone's noses. Given the hostility of Communism to "bourgeois", it seems an odd chocie to send someone with a quadruple-barreled surname. (Though I believe he was a man of ability)

This is an interesting name which arises from a Great War death. Sergeant Observer European Harry Ward RAF was named European in memory of his father who was killed a few months after he was born in January 1915.

On 10 May 1940,the day when the Blizkreig cut into the BEF and the RAF component suffered heavy losses, the ASSF No 150 Squadron lost a Battle, one of many on that fateful day.Observer Ward  survived from an op to Luxembourg out of their airfield at Ecury sur Coole,the aircraft crashing in the target area and the crew of three were captured.

Unfortunately Observer Ward lost a foot when the aircraft crashed and later was repatriated on an exchange scheme in 1943 as not medically fit for further combat.....he went on to own a well known corner shop and off licence, "Wards" on Burton Road, Lincoln and died in September 1996.

A/Sgt Reginald Hearsay, 1st Dragoon Guards, at least so I am told