Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusually Named People of the Great War

The Generals name was Vasily M Badanov 1895-1971 conscripted in the Tsar's army  in 1915 became a officer in 1916. 1919 joins Red army

I am sure that I have posted about 2/Lt Major (William) Booth, 15 West Yorkshire Regiment (Leeds Pals) before. https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/593344/MAJOR WILLIAM BOOTH/

He played cricket for Yorkshire and England. He was killed on the first day of the Battle of the Somme. "Major" was his first forename. He was commissioned from the ranks and was at one time Sergeant (Major) Booth which must have created some confusion.

I came across an Alexander Alexander in my researches and was a little surprised to find that the name was not particularly unusual.

RM

Hi RM

I entered him as a contender in the “Who is this” thread as an answer to your contender…alas it wasn’t him.

And yes I think it was in the (now defunct) Officers with long or unusual names thread

Edited by Knotty

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

Hi RM

I entered him as a contender in the “Who is this” thread as an answer to your contender…alas it wasn’t him.

And yes I think it was in the (now defunct) Officers with long or unusual names thread

Thanks, Knotty,

I had not realised that thread was defunct.

RM

1 hour ago, rolt968 said:

I had not realised that thread was defunct.

RM

I must admit I’ve only suggested it as I haven’t seen it for ages, I’m now looking for an officer’s  name to check out if it is still there

• 2 years later...
On 03/09/2014 at 23:09, Old Owl said:

Guy Robert Hurst Maitland-Addison was a serving officer in the Royal Marines when war broke out, he was discharged for 'unsatisfactory conduct' on 27/3/15. Obtained a commission into the 17th Bn Lancs.Fus. on 6/8/15, but was again discharged from the service through the signing of 'rubber cheques'. He enlisted again and served as 63191 Cpl Guy Addison, MGC, and was killed in action 11/9/17.

An interesting career in the services!

I have come across this man whilst researching the casualties in Bailleul Road East Cemetery, where he now lies.  I am interested in the info that he served in the 17th Lancashire Fusiliers, as I have found no reference to this.  The MIC does say that he had previously served with the 18th Bn of the London Regiment, with the service number 4508.  I wonder if he joined after having been discharged from the Lancashire Fusiliers.  Interestingly the war diary of the 188th Company of the MGC says that on the 11th September 1917 1 OR was killed in action and 1OR died from self inflicted wounds.  However, the CWGC show only 1 man having died on that day: Maitland-Addison.  I have looked at all of the 188th Coy deaths recorded on the CWGC site, but there does not seem to be any possible candidate for the man who died as a result of the self inflicted wounds.  A thought has occurred to me - could the war diary be trying to reflect that the man KIA and the man dying from self inflicted wounds are one and the same man to protect the family of the man concerned?  Had Maitland-Addison got into trouble with debt?  Or have the CWGC got their info incorrect either by accident or deliberate omission?  Just a few thoughts....And apologies for being so many years after your post!!

1 hour ago, Roger H said:

I have come across this man whilst researching the casualties in Bailleul Road East Cemetery, where he now lies.  I am interested in the info that he served in the 17th Lancashire Fusiliers, as I have found no reference to this.  The MIC does say that he had previously served with the 18th Bn of the London Regiment, with the service number 4508.  I wonder if he joined after having been discharged from the Lancashire Fusiliers.  Interestingly the war diary of the 188th Company of the MGC says that on the 11th September 1917 1 OR was killed in action and 1OR died from self inflicted wounds.  However, the CWGC show only 1 man having died on that day: Maitland-Addison.  I have looked at all of the 188th Coy deaths recorded on the CWGC site, but there does not seem to be any possible candidate for the man who died as a result of the self inflicted wounds.  A thought has occurred to me - could the war diary be trying to reflect that the man KIA and the man dying from self inflicted wounds are one and the same man to protect the family of the man concerned?  Had Maitland-Addison got into trouble with debt?  Or have the CWGC got their info incorrect either by accident or deliberate omission?  Just a few thoughts....And apologies for being so many years after your post!!

Hi Roger,

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question regarding his death, but it appears from the research I carried out many years ago that he had a bit of a drink problem, which led to him issuing cheques which he was unable to honour.

This was the reason for him being dismissed from the Royal Marines and also from the Lancashire Fusiliers with whom he never served overseas. He had held commissions in both and was dismissed from both for similar reasons.

He then joined the 18th Londons before transferring to the MGC, with which unit he was killed or took his own life on 11/9/17.

I doubt we shall ever know the full story--although it is possible that his death certificate may give his cause of death?

Unusually he has two entries on Ancestry under 'Soldier's Effects':  one shows him as '11/9/17, in action France' and the other '11/9/17, Kia, France or Belgium'.

The Maitland-Addison family had three sons killed out of five from memory, but little is written about any of them. Their father had been a serving officer in the Gloucester Regt from memory--but you may need to check out these facts as my memory may be misleading!!

Hope this helps,

Best, Robert 

16 minutes ago, Old Owl said:

Hi Roger,

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question regarding his death, but it appears from the research I carried out many years ago that he had a bit of a drink problem, which led to him issuing cheques which he was unable to honour.

This was the reason for him being dismissed from the Royal Marines and also from the Lancashire Fusiliers with whom he never served overseas. He had held commissions in both and was dismissed from both for similar reasons.

He then joined the 18th Londons before transferring to the MGC, with which unit he was killed or took his own life on 11/9/17.

I doubt we shall ever know the full story--although it is possible that his death certificate may give his cause of death?

Unusually he has two entries on Ancestry under 'Soldier's Effects':  one shows him as '11/9/17, in action France' and the other '11/9/17, Kia, France or Belgium'.

The Maitland-Addison family had three sons killed out of five from memory, but little is written about any of them. Their father had been a serving officer in the Gloucester Regt from memory--but you may need to check out these facts as my memory may be misleading!!

Hope this helps,

Best, Robert 

Robert

That is most useful, thank you.  I am coming to the conclusion that he committed suicide....

Roger