Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusually Named People of the Great War

Irish Life ceased publication decades ago. I could get a definitive answer if you wish.

I have never seen a paper copy as it was sent to me in the form of page photos in jpg.

Museumtom has used the paper version so he may know more.

Dave

The references I used from 'Irish Life' were passed on to me from another, a member of this forum. It is up to himself if he wishes to be made known. He has helped me so many times in the past for which I am most grateful. Having said that I have no idea where this publication can be accessed.

Sorry.

Tom.

Surprised than no one has mentioned the unfortunately named Wilfred Anker.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/75229965/ANKER,%20WILFRED

One would hope that they use the second of the two headstone schedules

Unusual names aren't restricted to the old world. These are a few interesting names from my research of New Zealanders or New Zealand residents who served in the "Imperial Forces".

John Stuart Spotswood Seddon, (I hope he didn't have a stammer) son of the NZ Prime Minister Richard John Seddon

George Okeover Anson

Sugden Elkanah Armitage

Cheviot Wellington Dillon Bell, later a member of the NZ Legislative Council and a son of the first NZ born Prime Minister

Newenham Robert de la Cour Cornwall (born Co Cork, Ireland)

Assheton James Lever-Naylor (born Hobart, Tasmania)

Marsham a'Beckett McCarthy (born Sydney, Australia)

• 2 months later...

A certain 'Jack The Ripper' served in the Nigerian Inland Waterway section of the RE. There were a couple of 'Prince Of Wales', too (apart from the real one, of course) - one served in the same unit as 'Jack The Ripper', if my memory serves me right.

I imagine that they were locally employed illiterate men who were enrolled under fictitious names because it made it easier for a regimental paymaster who would otherwise be faced with a long list of native names that appeared the same, or were English transliterations from local languages. The more outrageous the name the less likely it would be that they'd pay the same man twice.

I seem to remember flicking through 'Jack The Ripper's medal roll and finding various ludicrous names. The guys who compiled the pay roll must have been having a laugh when they went through it. Same must have applied to the workers in the Army Medal Office......

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Came across 84595 3AM Frederick Leslie Cuff Link RFC later served as a Lieutenant 74 Squadron RAF, killed whilst flying on 7th June 1918.

Corporal Albion Henry Turner, R.M.A., No. 11046.

Victor George Fleetwood Shrapnel, A/Capt, 8/East Surreys. Great-great-grandson of Major-General Sir Henry. How he must have rued his great-great-grandfather's invention...

- brummell

Victor George Fleetwood Shrapnel, A/Capt, 8/East Surreys. Great-great-grandson of Major-General Sir Henry. How he must have rued his great-great-grandfather's invention...

- brummell

Did he survive?

A new possible twist on disturbances in the space-time continuum; indirectly killing your great-great-grandchild.

Beechhill,

Sadly not. He was killed on 23 March 1918, aged 20, at Mennissis (machine-gun bullet, not shrapnel) and is commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial. I've researched him quite a lot; a remarkable man.

post-37693-0-36134800-1444595709_thumb.j

Beechhill,

Sadly not. He was killed on 23 March 1918, aged 20, at Mennissis (machine-gun bullet, not shrapnel) and is commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial. I've researched him quite a lot; a remarkable man.

Thank you for the feedback. One always hopes they made it when crossing paths with their story.

Rest in peace, Mr. Shrapnel.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a little ongoing project, to list all 2212 with the surname Williams in the ASC.

There are some nuggets within.

The most recent gem is this one:

2nd Lt (later Capt) Reginald Alexander Starbuck-Williams

I wonder if whilst having a brew-up, it could have been the first time in human history that the immortal words were spoken by his C/O:

"Let's all go to Starbuck's for coffee!"