Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusually Named People of the Great War

As a result of the downing of the Zeppelin L33 A Mr Clark named his newly born daughter Zeppelina. She didn't really like the name and preferred to be called Lena. She died in 2004.

There are also a number of officers in the Russian army and Navy pre 1917 that had German names. Some with Von in them. There are also some that had French or English names. The Bolsheviks got rid of them.

Conscientious objectors unsurprisingly often came from radical families, and a number were named William Ewart, but the one that took the biscuit was named William Ewart Gladstone Smith, or whatever his surname was.

I am not aware of any other prime minister honoured to that extent.

I have a little ongoing project, to list all 2212 with the surname Williams in the ASC.

There are some nuggets within.

The most recent gem is this one:

2nd Lt (later Capt) Reginald Alexander Starbuck-Williams

I wonder if whilst having a brew-up, it could have been the first time in human history that the immortal words were spoken by his C/O:

"Let's all go to Starbuck's for coffee!"

Apparently the two men who founded the coffee shop chain were both fans of Herman Melville's novel "Moby Dick", and named it after Mr Starbuck, the first mate of the Pequod.

Ron

Slightly off topic, but there are two chaps with interesting names that are connected to real people or events in my local cemetery.

One has the Christian names "Baden Powell", and the other one is named "Verdun". The odd thing is that whilst the first one was born in or around the end of the Anglo-Boer War, the other one wasn't born until the 1930s. I can only surmise that he was named after another family member (presumably buried elsewhere, as he's not on the same head stone) who also had "Verdun" in his name and had been born in or around 1916.

Yes I've come across at least 2 Verduns.

Given that the number of British soldiers involved there was pretty close to zero, I always assumed it was due to something related to the name being reported frequently in the press at the time. It couldn't be due to a direct familial connection, unlike Ypres (also met 2 of that name). Maybe something deep in the psyche of us Brits admiring gallant French peasants defending their homeland against the bullying Hun agressor.

In the local churchyard in Charlesworth, north west Derbyshire, is the grave of the intriguingly named Joe Locre Ypres Belfield, born 3rd August 1915. Is it possible I wonder that perhaps his dad was serving in that part of Belgium at the time of his birth?

I see there are loads of MIC's for the surname "German", "Fritz" and "Kaiser" together with 2 for "Kraut" and even a "Hun" - It makes you wonder why the Windsor's bothered having all their stationery changed.

I suspect that many of the Kaiser's were known as "Bill" for the rest of their lives.

Yes I've come across at least 2 Verduns.

Given that the number of British soldiers involved there was pretty close to zero, I always assumed it was due to something related to the name being reported frequently in the press at the time. It couldn't be due to a direct familial connection, unlike Ypres (also met 2 of that name). Maybe something deep in the psyche of us Brits admiring gallant French peasants defending their homeland against the bullying Hun agressor.

Yes, I think I'd agree with that.

I noticed in the RE SWB Rolls 70975 Cpl Francis Lancelot Smallpeice. Not only would he have taken some stick from his comrades but I suspect that the nurses who treated him may have had a nudge and a wink.

Brian

• 1 month later...

I hold the medals of Henry Godfrey Wedderburn-Maxwell, MBE. Henry Godfreys father was Major James Andrew Colville Wedderburn, who was born 1849 at Madras. On the death of his father in 1896, James succeeded to Glenair, Kirkcudbrightshire, when he assumed the additional name of Maxwell. James married Helen Mary Godfrey-Faussett-Osborne (elder daughter of the Rev. Henry Godfrey Godfrey-Faussett-Osborne) on 29 October 1891. They had three sons and two daughters (Who Was Who, 1916-1928).

Henry Godfrey, the second son, was noted by Burkes Landed Gentry: MBE (1930), Sudan Political Service, Khartoum, Capt., Reserve of Officers, late RA, served in the Great War 1916-19; Order of the Nile, 4th class, born 31 July 1897. Educated Charterhouse and RMA Woolwich.

GWF members may be interested in reading my research efforts: about Wedderburn-Maxwell as 21-year old A/Major, RFA (Despatches gazetted 1918 as 2Lt), to District Commissioner, Blue Nile Province...

Kindest regards,

Kim.Henry Godfrey Wedderburn-Maxwell .doc

A little boy' born in early 1915, was baptised Mons Jones, here in Ruthin. His father Pte Harry Jones of 1st RWF was a Mons survivor, though he was killed in action later in 1915. Harry's letters home are in the Denbighshire archives. Mons Jones lived in Ruthin throughout his life until his death in the late 1980s and though I can't recall him, he is still remembered with fondness by many.

• 2 weeks later...

Reginald Beethoven Dunt and Tilden Christmas Thomson, both 6/RWK.

My grandfather was also in 6/RWK. His name was Percy William Eggs.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Doctor Percival Bugg, in my family tree, Doctor being his Christian name. He was a hotel porter.

In the RE Railways BW and V Medal Rolls I noticed a Percy C Haggis, and so I wondered - and sure enough there is a Joseph George Neeps of the Rifle Brigade and a Harry Tatty of the Connaught Rangers.

Brian

In the RE Railways BW and V Medal Rolls I noticed a Percy C Haggis, and so I wondered - and sure enough there is a Joseph George Neeps of the Rifle Brigade and a Harry Tatty of the Connaught Rangers. Brian

None of the servicemen you name are on CWGC, so they all survived. There are 18 people with the surname "Haggis", seven of which are described as Civilian War Dead. None of the remaining 11 come from a Scottish based regiment, although one is from The London Regiment (London Scottish). There are no records on CWGC for Neeps or Tatty's.

• 4 weeks later...

I do feel that the parents of Pte Florence O'Leary of 2/5th King's Own had a case to answer.

Forgive me if this is a repeat - I can't quite face reading through the entire thread -

have we had Major Leone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudatifilius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache ?

Leicestershire Regiment, died in 1917 whilst on the staff of 1st Australian Div.

It was the name in the OP. ...but still worth a repeat. ...his father was keen on acrostics.

Is that still legal?

Major Leone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudatifilius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache ?

Are you allowed to use names when playing scrabble?

If you are, how much would you get for the complete handle?