Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

4 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

No apologies needed M. V; it's me that is struggling to keep up. Perhaps being attacked by freshly caught fish might be the answer; I've been trying to clear my Christmas earworms with wall to wall 80's soul classics as an interim measure. I started looking for luminaries of the Russian Revolution when I first saw him, so far without success. Probably best for me to keep listening to Patrice Rushen rather than looking for more Russians.

Pete.

Concentrate on  Bill Ottley- connected with a Hungarian lady from Ilford.

On 20/12/2017 at 20:46, Fattyowls said:

I was convinced that Hugh Elles was a Canadian indian chief at one point there; I was all ready to reavaluate Cambrai

Back from the visiting/shopping merry go round that is prevalent this time of year, and now feet up for a while ready to start again.

Tanks forming a circle, a novel idea there Pete.

Are we looking for a Russian Revolutionary, the clue from GUEST has me baffled.

On 21/12/2017 at 14:32, Knotty said:

Are we looking for a Russian Revolutionary, the clue from GUEST has me baffled

TV History- Think Frank Ross.  Then think Bill Ottley-and it should fall into place.

Yes, its a Russki.  And not a very nice one either.

18 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Probably best for me to keep listening to Patrice Rushen rather than looking for more Russians.

Pete.

Patrice Rushen did you say? This performance is right out of the top drawer. Unbelievable collaboration!

Of course, Felix Dzerzhinsky, the original OGPU man, the creator of the Soviet state security apparatus that morphed into the NKVD and the KGB. The lopsided grin was due to having his jaw broken while in a Tsarist prison. A lovely man, sent his mother flowers.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Bela Kun?

UG- Thank he fails the "Russki" test- being Hungarian is apparently a disqualifier.

Yes, dear old Felix- barrel of laughs.

The clues  were arcane but a thump of Tinternet and Mr. Google's Apparatus might have led the dedicated to Felix

Bill Ottley--  Character played by Tom Bell in the TV series "Prime Suspect"

(Hungarian Lady from Ilford is Helen Mirren-Hungarian but she does not like to admit  her Ilford connection (Who would?)

Frank Ross-  A disgruntled framed ex-con in the TV series "Out"- again, played by Tom Bell.

and of course-Tom Bell played dear Felix in "Reilly Ace of Spies" (Music based on Dmitri Shoskatovich)

Well played Pete, those clues had me chasing my tail, kept going back to the post and not connecting. Had several “Russki” names and slowly working my way through Felix was several attempts away.

M. V's cunning clues were completely wasted on me; I just had the mnemonic OGPU in my head when I looked at the picture. It's a rare occasion where 'I know that face from somewhere' turned into 'I'll name that mass murderer in one'. He presided over the Soviet terror in the wake of the revolution, being like Robespierre without the laughs........

Pete.

UG- Thank he fails the "Russki" test- being Hungarian is apparently a disqualifier.

Good point.

I got Tom Bell from the 'Frank Ross' clue - 'Hungarian lady' led me to Bella, and to Bela Kun. He was involved in the Soviet, so I thought this put him over the 'Russki' hurdle. 

I didn't have a clue about Bill Ottley.

But it kept me busy!

10 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

But it kept me busy!

Good---  a scan down Google would have thrown up Tom Bell as "Bill Ottley"-There is of course another "Bill Ottley"- Warner Ottley, known as "Bill"-one of the Dambusters-but I think being the wrong war is also not allowed.- Mods.get upset-and I am fed up with friends and neighbours asking me what the 2 large red dents are on the side of my head and having to explain what Taser means.

Like UG the clues had me tied up, couldn’t quiet get the tie-up, so with all the brain ache, I’ve decided to put in an easy one with this chap whose the last of his kind

2889168A-644B-467B-A185-6666A18CB113.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Like UG the clues had me tied up, couldn’t quiet get the tie-up, so with all the brain ache, I’ve decided to put in an easy one with this chap whose the last of his kind

2889168A-644B-467B-A185-6666A18CB113.jpeg

Apologies for the brain ache- Clues about dear Felix were quite hard to be cryptic-he was pretty much a career horrible person.

Now,  I have identified this man- Do you think it would help others if we point out that he was a Christian evangelist missionary in the United States?  Which was- ahem- a decidedly unexpected career development.

Last of his kind?  The only one who didn't die of poisoning?

Correct he did not die of poisoning, he passed away naturally.

Totally unaware of any evangelistic missionary work, his military career span was in excess of 35 years, and at which point he reverted to being a businessman/inventor until his death.

Hi Dave

No sorry Dave not him, in 1918 he survived the sinking of a battleship when the magazine blew up.

Blimey, over 36 hours and only 2 attempts, there is nothing cryptic, think Japanese and in WW2 the Yamato.

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Blimey, over 36 hours and only 2 attempts, there is nothing cryptic, think Japanese and in WW2 the Yamato.

And even I am doubting I got the right man- you cannot find a Christian evangelist connection-while I cannot find any reference to surviving an earlier incident. Was the matter of which he was the only survivor something that happened in 1945???

Hi GUEST

Japanese battleship blew up 1918, the reference is not as a solitary survivor but what he eventually was in the contex of the GW.

On 23/12/2017 at 11:07, Knotty said:

Hi GUEST

Japanese battleship blew up 1918, the reference is not as a solitary survivor but what he eventually was in the contex of the GW.

Then I have the wrong man- Thought it was Fuchida-of Pearl Harbor-who had a religious conversion post-1945 and moved to the US. He was one of a group of officers who visited Hiroshima immediately post-bomb-all the other died of radiation poisoning-he was unscathed.

Blast. That's my Christma ruined-Spose I will have to work on this rather than eat turkey and get p*ssed. Tough life.

That’s who I thought you were thinking of, very similar in appearance. 

Sorry I have ruined your Christmas, what was I thinking of:whistle:

28 minutes ago, Knotty said:

That’s who I thought you were thinking of, very similar in appearance. 

Sorry I have ruined your Christmas, what was I thinking of:whistle:

Don't worry-   West Ham are the local footie club-so well used to having a ruined Christmas

Sorry for delay, visiting one of our old neighbours!

No not him UG, but you have identified the correct ship he was on that suffered the magazine explosion

Anyone on the forum have Japanese WW1 crew lists? 

4 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Don't worry-   West Ham are the local footie club-so well used to having a ruined Christmas

Oh dear just seen the score, the ruination has begun!