Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Antiques roadshow

Mark Hone

You play a good tune on the banjo my friend. An excellent programme, well done for your part.

Yes well done. I know a few banjo jokes :whistle:

Could you possibly post a list of the names on the banjo?

Mike

I thought the programme was excellent. The last segment, on Joe Halliwell, was emotional beyond words. It had the presenter struggling to keep his cool, and I have to admit to reaching for the tissues myself.

Keith

I thought the programme was excellent. Egbert, your Grandfather's trunk could no doubt have provided enough material for the entire show, such a shame we only had a few minutes.

Egbert will be shown again in the second show. ( November i think )

I thought it was a great show. Good to see the forum members on there.

The only puzzlement with the Halliwells was that they seemed well informed, but didn't know where Uncle Tom was buried?

Well done, Egbert, too.

I found that a bit strange too - I would have thought that they would have queried why they were in that particular cemetery.

Enjoyed the programme though - Egbert was very good.

A dissenter here.

With one or two notable quality excerpts - Egbert, HMS Vindictive - we found it very stagey and quite mawkish. The whole house, whether interested in the Great War or not, thought the treatment of the Halliwells deeply exploitative and manipulative. As as an aside, we also thought they could have also easily brought on a heart attack or somesuch. But that's TV folk for you - flatterers and deceivers all (check out The Crimson Field thread for further proof).

And as for Bill Harriman emoting all over the place, pur-leese. As an appraiser of (modern) militaria, he's not quite there at the best of times; and to have him sniffing over it all at the same time was too much.

Cheers,

GT.

Unknown Warrior: the programme seemed to confirm that, according to the writings of the padre, there were six bodies from which the choice was made, and not four as commonly believed and as is stated in many sources. Interesting puzzle.

Post 34 on this thread reads

I have joined this forum only recently having been previously unaware of it. As Joel Halliwell's grandaughter I was filmed as part of the antiques roadshow programme and can assure you it was not staged or rehearsed in anyway, my mum and I were not aware that this was where my grandad's brother was buried. My grandad was extremely brave and saved the lives of 10 men and we as his family are very proud. We decided to take part in the programme only to tell his story. My mum Joel Halliwell's daughter is 83 years old so yes I do find your comments distasteful.

A very good programme, I look forward to the second part. Well done to all forum members who took part, especially you, Egbert {thanks again for your help in the past].

Paul

it was not staged or rehearsed in anyway

Not by the Halliwells at all - but by every other single person involved. Editorial meetings, planning meetings, location meetings: OB scanner park here; camera; stand there; Fiona, you do this; Bill, you do that etc etc etc.

They were plainly lovely people, and fair play that they got to visit that grave: shame that the BBC set them up at the same time, for reaction, for a 'reveal', for 'entertainment'.

And I get weary of TV people justifying the technique, on educational, information and all sorts of other spurious grounds when the reality is: "What can we do to achieve maximum effect on screen, even if it means behaving mendaciously"? Been there, seen it.

Yet it would not have diminished the show to have briefed them in advance, and treat them with proper respect rather than as an opportunity.

Oh: but then we wouldn't have had the reveal or the reaction for the camera; and for our entertainment.

Hopefully, the Halliwells don't mind because they - rightly - got to tell his story; and - rightly - to visit Tom.

But I think the Beeb could have done better by them. And we're as bad, for thinking it's OK, if it fills a Sunday hour, too.

Yes they had to go through the items and discuss what would be used, but it is a TV show, what else could they do.

They did not tell people what to do, they asked them what they would like to show and talk about. It was very good how they treated people, and they looked after everyone really well.

I enjoyed the show, not everyone will. Some great feedback about the show on a number of forums.

Yes they had to go through the items and discuss what would be used, but it is a TV show, what else could they do.

They did not tell people what to do, they asked them what they would like to show and talk about. It was very good how they treated people, and they looked after everyone really well.

You can only be missing the point wilfully.

Well I enjoyed it. Each to their own.

It will get people interested in the Great War, and keep the memories going.

I found that a bit strange too - I would have thought that they would have queried why they were in that particular cemetery.

Enjoyed the programme though - Egbert was very good.

A case of standard documentary procedure, I suspect... "Please pretend ignorance of the answer to the next question"... Didn't see the show (not broadcast over here) but saw the clip of Egbert who was excellent (and is possibly quite red by now with all these laudatory remarks - even though they are very well deserved!)

• Admin

A dissenter here.

But that's TV folk for you - flatterers and deceivers all (check out The Crimson Field thread for further proof).

GT

I'm another one agree with all your comments, although the forum seems to have decided AR good - CF bad yet all both were was Sunday night entertainment filling the slot between the Countryfile weather forecast for the week ahead and the Grand Prix highlights.

Antiques Roadshow, whose materialistic ethos sickened me many series ago and I never normally watch was it's usual smug self although in this episode it seems the currency was sentiment rather than cash. Can't really comment on Egbert, who looked splendid, but as that's what Sunday night telly is about I dozed off during his segment, waking up in time to catch the unknown warrior bit and some bloke with half a ton of bronze in his house.

Ken

Post 34 on this thread reads

I have joined this forum only recently having been previously unaware of it. As Joel Halliwell's grandaughter I was filmed as part of the antiques roadshow programme and can assure you it was not staged or rehearsed in anyway, my mum and I were not aware that this was where my grandad's brother was buried. My grandad was extremely brave and saved the lives of 10 men and we as his family are very proud. We decided to take part in the programme only to tell his story. My mum Joel Halliwell's daughter is 83 years old so yes I do find your comments distasteful.

Indeed,

That comment was made before the full programme had been broadcast. I suspect that most people's disbelief of the scene was because they hoped that the BBC would not have pulled such a stunt to elicit an emotional reaction from an elderly lady, which seemed to me to be both health-threatening and exploitative. They should have told the family why they were there, and shown the relative's grave after the family had been allowed to pay their respects in private. Instead, they went for the tear-jerker. Quite unnecessary, IMHO.

At least they didn't try to out a financial value on all the items, which was commendable.

Stuart

I thoroughly enjoyed the show and look forward to the next one later in the year. Egbert was a real star but so was that banjo and it's owner. I wonder how many signatures are on this?

Anne

Sigh-------if I only could see the BBC program over here. Even in the old wartimes you could at least listen to BBC, dadadadaaa, but today they block it and call it copyright issues :angry2:

I guess I have to wait some time until a DVD version turns up here.

Thanks for the kudos, but really- I do not know wether my tie was correct , or how the story came over on TV. I even do not know what they aired and what they cut away and what they spared for the second such program in November.

So for the time being I enjoy your commentaries :w00t:

Egbert,

The link to the 4 minute clip was originally posted by Kirky and it is now post 53 on this thread.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/p01wjgd1

clearly it does not work for you.

It basically covered Gotfried's Iron Cross photo frame, the little shoe, the 1915 picture of your Grandparents and your Dad and the Christmas mask.

Obviously you reading the letter from Gottfried to his sons.

Hope this helps.

I am not a fan of the Antiques Roadshow, and was uncomfortable with some bits, but I was dreading something far worse.

Egbert was superb, wish they did a whole programme with you visiting the places from the German perspective, and showing other bits from the Trunk.

Egbert,

The link to the 4 minute clip was originally posted by Kirky and it is now post 53 on this thread.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/p01wjgd1

clearly it does not work for you.

It basically covered Gottfried's Iron Cross photo frame, the little shoe, the 1915 picture of your Grandparents and your Dad and the Christmas mask.

Obviously you reading the letter from Gottfried to his sons.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. Dear Assistance Producer sent me the DVD for this special A&R edition. Got it in the mail today.

I am a bit disappointed though because they did not air all the other item filming. So they have much more material which is of equal relevance and poignancy.. My hope is that they air in the second special edition in November all the rest. She confirmed today again that in November the trunk will be opened again.....

I was rather taken by surprise by the lady who had nothing more to show than a photograph of her father, John Joseph Crowley, and some faded gold braid. He was a gunner on the Vindictive at Zeebrugge and had helped to cut the sleeve from the jacket of the Lt Cmdr commanding the guns, so that the shell splinter wound to his arm could be treated. He had apparently kept the sleeve as a memento, and his daughter still had the braid. She did not seem to know who the wounded officer was .... but I do: he was Lt Cmdr Edward Hilton Young RNVR, previously a battery commander with the RN Siege Guns (see my avatar) on the Belgian Coast. His arm was amputated the next day, but he remained in the Navy and his last assignment was commanding an armoured train in Northern Russia.

Damnation, must have tuned in just too late. Must see if I can get replay on Beeb website....

Am I the only one irritated by Bill Harrimans repetitive use of the term 'death plaque' it is a MEMORIAL PLAQUE for goodness sake!

If Joel Halliwell's family were happy as to how they were treated by the BBC, and they were, then that is surely the main thing.

I liked the fact that the various experts were clearly moved by the artifacts they were looking at and values were not mentioned in some cases - I wouldn't have mentioned them at all.

From a 'story flow' point of view I would have liked to have seen the painting of Egbert's father wearing that little shoe but that is just a personal opinion and Egbert's segment overall was excellent.

Neil

From a 'story flow' point of view I would have liked to have seen the painting of Egbert's father wearing that little shoe but that is just a personal opinion and Egbert's segment overall was excellent.

Neil

Neil before the July filming took place the Assistant Producer flew over to my home for a whole day. to investigate and decide if they want to include parts of my story and what they would like to present. She took pictures of ALL items as I did not exclude anything. Back in London the crew pre-selected what they want to present in Thiepval which actually is maybe 5 % or less of Gottfried's belongings.

Room for another filming?