Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Antiques roadshow

Mark Hone

What a nice piece. Congratulations Egbert.

Andy

Have just watched this from Canberra and it is beautifully presented. I found watching Egbert reading his grandfather's letter to his son (Egbert's father) very touching.

Congratulations, Egbert. I'm looking forward to the whole episode on Sunday evening.

I don't know the lady in pink, but the colourfully-dressed woman standing behind you is Yvonne, the Secretary of the Australian 'Pozières Remembrance Association', whose plans for a Memorial Park at Pozières were discussed on the forum recently, in a thread to which her husband, Barry Gracey, the President of the Association, contributed.

Congratulations, Egbert. I'm looking forward to the whole episode on Sunday evening.

I don't know the lady in pink, but the colourfully-dressed woman standing behind you is Yvonne, the Secretary of the Australian 'Pozières Remembrance Association', whose plans for a Memorial Park at Pozières were discussed on the forum recently, in a thread to which her husband, Barry Gracey, the President of the Association, contributed.

I feel humbled and deleted my last posting. :hypocrite:

This is one programme that I've been looking forward to watching for months. I remember when I first arrived on the forum and started following Egbert's fascinating thread and waiting for each new item from his grandfather's trunk to be revealed and discussed.

Looking forward to seeing Tony's (Ant) part in the programme too.

You were most impressive on screen, Egbert. Congratulations.

I was just reflecting how far I could go with my Grandfathers revelations and what I discovered within the scope of the GWF. It all started when I had the desire to study Grandfathers fate seen from the British perspective and it certainly has not ended yet with the BBC airing or the corresponding book.

How fortunate am I that Chris Baker offered this great forum as a substitute for another forum that had to close then many years ago. Nobody, to include myself, thought then that the GWF would be so successful as it is today. And indeed it was only possible through this forum where by a sudden chance Gottfried became heard from his time far away. I am very grateful for Chris having established this forum and to his forum owner successors to offer a place for us and for the (almost) forgotten voices of the past.

My first step is done, Gottfried is established in the electronic universe. Let him represent the many others who have no voice anymore through their ancestors.

We shall never forget them!

Very well said Egbert! We on GWF are mostly lucky enough ones of a generation mainly not directly troubled by wars of such magnitude and all that those wars entailed. I think sometimes of my nephews and their repeated periods of service in Iraq and Afghanistan, one very much front line service, the other only marginally less so, and their experiences, but the personal memories of those who went through both WW's are to be cherished and honoured and to be learnt from about episodes which we all hope will never be repeated.

My own immediate family escaped losses in both WWI and WWII. The families of all of my German friends were not so lucky and either lost all or most of their male members in one or the other. Your 'Grandfather's Trunk' is a reminder of what was and what could have been.

Julian

That was a truly wonderous clip Egbert. You were very sincere and masterly in your presentation. Your grandfather would be very proud of you.

Danke Egbert.

Wonderful egbert, and as others have said, very moving. Thank you for sharing your grandfather's story, the story from the other side of No Man's Land.

Cheers Mike

I was there, yet im still getting emotional hearing Egbert read the letter.

I am resisting the temptation to look at the clip. I am going to watch tomorrow night. From everyone's comments looks like it is going to be good.

Mandy

I went on the Kirky link and noted that Egbert said the BBC is blocked. So unless a link to the Antique Programme is pasted after tonight, A CD/DVD could be sent to Egbert . I no longer have a DVD recorder but a TV receiver box with hardrive recorder facilities. As you know the UK and Europe format is zone 2 for recording and playing.
The CD/DVD may have to be "finalised" by the Friend to convert to video format, but he or she will know.

I would happily pay the BBC fee for access. In the meantime, they tell me, at my local, that the Hola plugin for Chrome allows you to watch iPlayer.

I would happily pay the BBC fee for access. In the meantime, they tell me, at my local, that the Hola plugin for Chrome allows you to watch iPlayer.

Hi b3m,

Your post directed to the open Forum may well get a reply. I personally don't know the answer I just stick to IE..

It took me right back to when you ran the thread about your grandfathers trunk. I can remember how moved we all were especially when you revealed the little shoe. Still had that impact now. Well done Egbert.

Well done everyone - found the whole thing quite moving and realised the impact it can have on others!

Chris