Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Antiques roadshow

Mark Hone

Tonight's 'Antiques Roadshow' showed clips from their forthcoming Great War specials filmed on the Somme. They are focussing on items connected with relatives. The stories sounded very interesting and moving, of course, but one left me with that slightly uneasy feeling I often have during episodes of 'Who Do You Think You Are?' The family of Joel Halliwell VC were shown in a CWGC cemetery. The shock moment at the end came when it was revealed that they were standing in the very cemetery where his brother Tom is buried. I checked up on this and it turns out to be Warloy-Baillon Communal Cemetery Extension. Not being cynical or anything but why did the family think that they had been taken to this particular location for the filming?

I too found that part bizarre! The old girl seemed genuinely astonished. I like to spring things on guests I take for emotional affect, but I would have had to consider heart problems before landing that one!

Chris

My thoughts exactly and the whole clip had an air of scripted reality what with the “your uncle is buried here” followed by look of amazement on faces of family added to which yet another example of a life saved by whistle, bible, cigarette case etc. By making these comments I of course infer no disrespect whatsoever on the participants but if this is the way that the BBC are to mark the anniversary then it looks as though we will see a succession of grim tales and war cemeteries as the commemorations/remembrance continues.

Norman

Yes - I had not considered what is to come! There will be a whole load of **** from the BBC and others. If only we could have an officer censoring reports now!

Chris

yes I thought the same a little staged, the two girls with the lady didn't seem surprised at all, even someone with no real idea about such things could put 2 and 2 together.

What I didn't like was, in the preamble to the clips being shown, Fiona Bruce referred to 'the entries', I did remark it wasn't a competition, but it so felt like they were showing us the 'winning' entries, so to speak.

I found the "preview" deeply unsettling - all carefully staged for maximum emotional effect on those taking part. Distasteful at the very least.

I was one of the 'entries' but apparently the ciggy case from a VC winner with other items was one of the 'losers!

I have been added to the local Beeb list though :wacko:

After watching it last evening, I am rather pleased I was a 'loser'.

I found the "preview" deeply unsettling - all carefully staged for maximum emotional effect on those taking part

Why are people so surprised that the BBC and others are wringing out every drop of emotion and pouring it into their centenary programmes? That's what they believe is going to get the man/woman in the street watching and enjoying. And if gushing reviews of recent Great War books are anything to go by, they're right. They won't let history get in the way of a good dollop of gush and ooze.

Sue

I had thought that the BBC might just be above that - obviously mistaken.

This is a still from The Ark - BBCs new 'war centenary drama' due in the spring. They were left in no doubt at all by their advisers that this is wrong, but it suits them all the same. But how many of the viewing public will know it's wrong or worry about it? It will just go down in TV history as spot on.

Sue

post-416-0-96213600-1388416756_thumb.jpg

A friend and an acquaintance of mine have been chosen to appear in one of the Antiques Roadshow Centenary specials and the programme they are in has already been filmed on the Somme. I'm looking forward to watching that one.

Apart from that and perhaps one or two other programmes, I'm going to stick my head in a bucket of sand and keep it there for the next four years. Someone please let me know when it's all over.

Is it that there are laptops at the bottom of the beds. They weren't around during the Great War, were they? :huh:

Mike

Well, how else would the soldiers blog about their experiences on the Somme?

:blink:

-Daniel

This is a still from The Ark - BBCs new 'war centenary drama' due in the spring. They were left in no doubt at all by their advisers that this is wrong, but it suits them all the same. But how many of the viewing public will know it's wrong or worry about it? It will just go down in TV history as spot on.

Sue

That's the way with TV and film companies. Despite the knowledgable advice from people they employ to give them that advice, producers, directors and costume departments do what they like, usually with an agenda that they wish to inflict on the viewers.

I suspect all the Centenary events will be a mixture of some real gems with not a few howlers and much that we might regard as being over the top emotionally.

We will no doubt have a lot of fun with it and will have to tolerate the naff stuff as "our" war has its place in the sun for the next 4 years.

We need to see this as a chance to (gently) educate folk a little but also enjoy be generous of spirit and enjoy the whole shebang - as I am sure the lads and lasses directly involved in it would want us to.

well I was present at the filming for the Antiques Roadshow on The Somme. I met some great people and heard some great stories. im looking forward to seeing it.

yes some things will be done a bit naff, but if it grabs the attention of people and gets them interested then go for it. its all about remembering in my book.

Having watched some of the filming I think it was filmed in a nice way, but each to their own.

I was one of the 'entries' but apparently the ciggy case from a VC winner with other items was one of the 'losers!

I have been added to the local Beeb list though :wacko:

After watching it last evening, I am rather pleased I was a 'loser'.

Same here i spoke to them of a archive of letters i found disgarded in a black bin bag from a 18 year old MC winner to his mother , he was later KIA and the mother collected his MC ,the letters were superb and extremly moving and powefull ,after having to explain what a MC was to the researcher i began to have my concerns ,had the standard dont call us e mail.

Some of the stories I saw filmed and talked to people about were very interesting, a nice selection.

It must have been a nightmare for them to pick just a few from the thousands submitted.

At least 2 forum members were filmed so it will be good to see them on the show.

Some of the stories I saw filmed and talked to people about were very interesting, a nice selection.

It must have been a nightmare for them to pick just a few from the thousands submitted.

At least 2 forum members were filmed so it will be good to see them on the show.

I know of Egbert...who is the second?

-Daniel

The programme with you and Egbert in, is the one I'm looking forward to Tony :thumbsup:

Cheers Caryl.

Daniel, the other member is 303man, he is showing a collection of Memorial Plaques.