Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Antiques roadshow

Mark Hone

I suspect all the Centenary events will be a mixture of some real gems with not a few howlers and much that we might regard as being over the top emotionally.

We will no doubt have a lot of fun with it and will have to tolerate the naff stuff as "our" war has its place in the sun for the next 4 years.

We need to see this as a chance to (gently) educate folk a little but also enjoy be generous of spirit and enjoy the whole shebang - as I am sure the lads and lasses directly involved in it would want us to.

I think you are dead right about this. We have to remember that we are really not the intended audience for 90% of the programmes that are going to be on and that if we spend the whole four years picking holes in the output we might not enjoy the fact that there are actually shed loads of programmes on our favourite topic.

I would hope that the output will not be too 'lions led by donkeys' orientated but I think we have to expect that there will be a fair degree of emoting going on. Frankly that reflects society as it is now, and the BBC as the national broadcaster will reflect it too. As we all know the 50th Anniversary was marked by a 26 episode documentary made up entirely of images and film from the time combined with interviews with veterans who were not even named and with narration by unseen famous actors of the time. It was regarded, and still is, as a landmark in British TV, yet the likelihood of something like that being commissioned now? Nil. There will be clunky reconstructions, there will be talking heads (and they will be the usual suspects), there will be a mixture of TV historians and 'celebrity' presenters, there will 'journeys' there will be tears (and in close up too). There will be a lot of bad history. But there will be interest, enthusiasm, time and opportunity for us and like minded people to, as you put it Ian, 'gently educate' those who are discovering the endless fascination that studying the Great War brings.

Like you I intend to enjoy every minute of it - the good, the bad and the over emotional!

David

Well said Ian and David.

The more who become interested the better, it keeps the remembrance going.

I think you are dead right about this. We have to remember that we are really not the intended audience for 90% of the programmes that are going to be on and that if we spend the whole four years picking holes in the output we might not enjoy the fact that there are actually shed loads of programmes on our favourite topic.

I would hope that the output will not be too 'lions led by donkeys' orientated but I think we have to expect that there will be a fair degree of emoting going on. Frankly that reflects society as it is now, and the BBC as the national broadcaster will reflect it too. As we all know the 50th Anniversary was marked by a 26 episode documentary made up entirely of images and film from the time combined with interviews with veterans who were not even named and with narration by unseen famous actors of the time. It was regarded, and still is, as a landmark in British TV, yet the likelihood of something like that being commissioned now? Nil. There will be clunky reconstructions, there will be talking heads (and they will be the usual suspects), there will be a mixture of TV historians and 'celebrity' presenters, there will 'journeys' there will be tears (and in close up too). There will be a lot of bad history. But there will be interest, enthusiasm, time and opportunity for us and like minded people to, as you put it Ian, 'gently educate' those who are discovering the endless fascination that studying the Great War brings.

Like you I intend to enjoy every minute of it - the good, the bad and the over emotional!

David

At last the voice of reason in a rather ingenuous thread.

BBC news channel 80 just announced that they will be looking forward to the commemorations during the programme which should be interesting.

Norman

0900 hrs 1st January

Added: Entirely predicable graves, cemeteries and more graves.

.....there will be talking heads (and they will be the usual suspects), there will be a mixture of TV historians and 'celebrity' presenters, there will 'journeys' there will be tears (and in close up too). There will be a lot of bad history.....

I predict a Snow alert on the horizon

Andy

I predict a Snow alert on the horizonAndy

With severe falls in Sheffield

No doubt the full panoply of BBC "talent" will be deployed on the Centenary programmes.

There will no doubt be some pleasant surprises to balance reports of Snow on the Somme or wherever.

Guest joannebliss

I have joined this forum only recently having been previously unaware of it. As Joel Halliwell's grandaughter I was filmed as part of the antiques roadshow programme and can assure you it was not staged or rehearsed in anyway, my mum and I were not aware that this was where my grandad's brother was buried. My grandad was extremely brave and saved the lives of 10 men and we as his family are very proud. We decided to take part in the programme only to tell his story. My mum Joel Halliwell's daughter is 83 years old so yes I do find your comments distasteful.

I assure you that I meant no disrespect to you or the memory of the valiant Joel Halliwell in my original post. I have been involved with two tv companies researching Great War stories with family members and know a little about how they operate. I just felt a little uneasy that they took you to that cemetery, which is a bit out of the way, without telling you why beforehand. It looked as if they were playing a sort of trick on you, which I didn't really like, but if you were happy with the way that the BBC did it, that's fine.

The generalized attacks on the BBC A&R centenary series reminds me of children who are angry that they have not be the chosen leaders on the playground. I hope it is not pure jaleousy.

Let me assure you that I am an adult who is capable of differentiating and consequently intervening when something does not go according to what I want. The BBC did not control me when they presented my Grandfather with their wonderful presenter F.B. The opposite was the case, they asked me constantly whether this and that is alright, what is my opinion and let me control the whole filming about my Grandfather at any time. There is no doubt that the team was extremely sensitive to feelings or to filming too personal matters that I did not wish them to do.

The BBC has to make this program interesting, attracting and wants a lasting Impression. That you can do only with certain techniques. They were fair enough to consider their matters and my personal interests and align them. They matched and I was the one that ok'd the result. There is no such thing like the BBC misused the individuals to be presented.

If you do not like the program -do not watch it. Please respect my will to air a fragment of my Grandfathers story in sincere remembrance.

I am a keen watcher of the Antique Roadshow - so clearly was not paying attention and missed both the programmes referred to.

If Joanne or Egbert know if they are to be re-broadcast at any time I would very much like to see them,

Many thanks

Alan

I was present at the filming of a number of the AR stories, I also talked to many of those involved and all expressed how wonderful the BBC had been with them. I was present when they went over Egberts items and discussed the filming with him, I can assure you he had total control over it all.

Having seen a lot of it I am certain it will make great tv. im looking forward to it being shown.

by the way. I know a lot of the stories being shown, but as it has not yet aired I will not spoil what is yet to be seen.

I think it will be of interest to a lot of people.

• 3 weeks later...

Great news Egbert. I will be watching.

This is not fair Ant as the BBC blocks it's online-broadcastings to anywhere outside the island....

This is not fair Ant as the BBC blocks it's online-broadcastings to anywhere outside the island....

I was going to ask about that...that's a shame. Hopefully it will be available to the rest of us at some point.

I understand but have not tried it as I have a very slow internet connection that you can use a spoof site that allows you to appear as UK based to these broadcasting sites. No doubt illegal but where I am the alternative is a 4.2m sat dish to receive broadcasts, a large garden is required.

I think that the BBC block is forced on it by copyright and contractual concerns. But as has been said, there is always YouTube.

Also very much looking forward to the special AR shows.

• 1 month later...

I was at the Antiques Roadshow filming at The Somme i Juy, 2013 (one day at The Thiepval Memorial and the second day at various locations one of which I visited) I was there because I brought an 'item' from The Great War; (where I grew up - that's what we called it, 'cos we didn't know then that there would be a Second one...) I grew up amid men with one or no legs; severe breathing difficulties; heroes with no jobs and in an area where some houses still had the blinds drawn. Lancashire was full of them. So though I was born 'between the Wars' and too young to fight in the 2nd,one -

they had a great impact on my growing-up... Anyway, the Roadshow event at Albért and the surrounding area was, in my opinion, a well-managed and very sensitive one. I met with some of the other people who had brought items and we all felt the same about it. I did not get to meet the man from Germany 'with the secret of granddad's trunk' but now, from this Forum, I can guess who he is.

I don't think any of us viewed this as a contest, nor do I think the Roadshow people looked at it that way, either. It seemed to me that their 'experts' were not there to pontificate but to introduce the treasured item from someone's family to the wider televison audience - to let them try to see it through the familiy's eyes...

When one has not walked a mile in someone else's shoes.it is difficult to do this. Maybe programmes like this will help us all 'never to forget them'

And you all know who I mean by 'them'. They came from Bavaria or Bury; from Accrington or Avignon; Ireland or Friesland; from Australia and Westphalia; from Berlin and Berlin, Ontario, Canada....

Please try to watch on April 6th with an open mind and make your judgement then. BBC are also publishing a book on this with '100 Treasures...' that is, those 'Somme 30' and the other 70 which were in the difficult area of the choosing. (from 3,000+) Published by Random House, available in August and will no doubt get some folks upset...but then - c'est la vie, eh?

I did not get to meet the man from Germany 'with the secret of granddad's trunk' but now, from this Forum, I can guess who he is.

I still have no clue.....

I still have no clue.....

OK, I see now from the Filming Schedule that you are Egbert S******k but because of the schedule and the bloody hot day I did not get to meet you - but heard people talking about the trunk from Germany... So we were at Thiepval at the same time, my filming, the last of the day, was set for 1715 but went later. I was with Paul Atterbury and when you see it, what he revealed may surprise you. Also I hope that my 'Artifact' will engage your interest. With it I have sought to keep alive the memories of 28 soldiers of the Canadian Expeditionary Force from The Great War. The April 6th broadcast is part of this and when it is done I will post some links to The Canadian War Museum's involvement with me and my 'artifact' (and around the world interest) People in Canada and the UK (for there is a strong UK connection here) are anxious to see the broadcast which I feel will do what they set out to do - keep the memories alive.

So, Egbert, we will meet in spirit on April 6th... my best Regards

'We went up Vimy Ridge as Albertans and Nova Scotians - we came down as Canadians...'