Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Unit Bayonet Markings

trajan

The Waffenamt or 'weapon's office' marks, were intended to prevent the Brits know who was making bayonets - each manufacturer had their own inspector and numerical code inspector.

JB

Thanks for the info mate. Didn't expect anyone notice on such an old topic. 

2 hours ago, jacks back said:

Howdy's Jacks, Trajan is a long time member and 15th most active member in the GWF. Checking out his pages helped me a lot few years ago.

Hi, that's great. Helping the learning is often exhausting of your own time but gives back so much that can then later be passed on and is much appreciated.

Hello everybody! 

This has been a very interesting thread to read. I appreciate all the knowledge and dedication you guys have. 

I’m pretty new to collecting Militaria so I was hoping somebody could help me identify the markings on Erfurt bayonet I recently picked up. To my understanding it was made in 1915 but that’s about as far as I’ve gotten.  I believe the numbering on it is 84.2.202

Thanks so much! 

IMG_4662.jpeg

IMG_4663.jpeg

IMG_4664.jpeg

IMG_4665.jpeg

Edited by OkinawaDoom
Added information

It looks like S84/98nA made in Erfurt, in 1915, there could be a shortened simplified unit 84 IR, 2.Company and weapon nr.202, the other side could be new serial number 394 added, possible same was on scabbard, leather buffer is not correct on similar bayonets more on dress KS98.

Edited by AndyBsk

3 hours ago, AndyBsk said:

It looks like S84/98nA made in Erfurt, in 1915, there could be a shortened simplified unit 84 IR, 2.Company and weapon nr.202, the other side could be new serial number 394 added, possible same was on scabbard, leather buffer is not correct on similar bayonets more on dress KS98.

Thanks for the quick reply! Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is the significance or meaning of a serial number being added later?

Also- when you say that the leather buffer is not correct does that mean it was potentially added sometime after production?

I’ve definitely got a lot to learn but this forum seems like it’ll be a tremendous help

Edited by OkinawaDoom

On service items like similar bayonets were not used leather buffer as the bayonet had a correct scabbard for preserving the blade. It was added post army use by a collector probably. teoretically it could be used as dress sidearm post WW1.

The unit stamp on reverse crossguard already have the number of the rifle which it was used with, so this unit stamp looks like simplified war time era, wout correct R stamp behind the 84 probably,when it was regiment number. the additional serial number 394 on front crossguard could be by serialing of bayonets into depots, similar occured on end of war, same as the number was partly stamped on ball finial or under mouth of scabbard. Or it was new number inside of the 2.Company and the old 202 was not striked out.

Edited by AndyBsk

16 hours ago, AndyBsk said:

On service items like similar bayonets were not used leather buffer as the bayonet had a correct scabbard for preserving the blade. It was added post army use by a collector probably. teoretically it could be used as dress sidearm post WW1.

The unit stamp on reverse crossguard already have the number of the rifle which it was used with, so this unit stamp looks like simplified war time era, wout correct R stamp behind the 84 probably,when it was regiment number. the additional serial number 394 on front crossguard could be by serialing of bayonets into depots, similar occured on end of war, same as the number was partly stamped on ball finial or under mouth of scabbard. Or it was new number inside of the 2.Company and the old 202 was not striked out.

Thanks for the info! Would you know anything about the scabbard that came with it? There’s no identification marks on it as far as I can tell. Is it accurate? 

IMG_4712.jpeg

IMG_4711.jpeg

Yes it should be correct S84/98nA type, on hook and ball finial could be inspector stamps, which normally should be identical when from one fabric. The finish was removed only remained blueing around the hook was preserved by frog probably.

Edited by AndyBsk

evening, could anyone help with identifying this sawback bayonet? it has the marks MG.SS.TR.192

DEUTSCHE MASCHINENFABRIK stamped on the blade. there are some other marks stamped on the top of the blade behind the sawback, and behind the catch where it attaches to a gun.

thanks in advance20231117_212504.jpg.6816c533a85dac42a93380f7c3a235dd.jpg

Zwischen Mitte Februar und Mitte Mai 1916 entstanden bei den Armee-Oberkommandos insgesamt 200 (einschließlich bayerischer) Maschinengewehr-Scharfschützen-Trupps, die jedoch schon Ende August jeweils zu dritt zu kompaniestarken Maschinengewehr-Scharfschützen-Abteilungen zusammengezogen wurden.

Your marking should be exactly dated to this period, MG Scharpshooters Troops.

Edited by AndyBsk

andybsk thts great, thankyou for taking the time to reply. do you happen to know what gun this would have been made for? on closer inspection there is 'A G' under the DEUTSCHE MASCHINENFABRIK. it also has 32. stamped on it in a smaller font. the scabbard is a fag one with no other stamps. does all this sound correct?20231118_202804.jpg.0032848db500025f686bbef919bdbae4.jpg

The FAG scabbard was with longer blade ersatz ASG88/98, good here with origin period green/gray lack,  as visible is too long and not for this bayonet, the Demag Duisburg is a normal production S84/98, should have a normal S84/98 scabbard, the frog is too wrong there as for S98/05 probably. AG means Aktien Gesellschaft also Join stock company probably in english.

Edited by AndyBsk