Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Unit Bayonet Markings

trajan

Now, that's a nice one and rare also! Many thanks D!

• 4 months later...

Hi all! First of all I must say that this is completely new to me, but I'm not able to find any information about the marking of a friend's bayonet, could it be "II. W. D 1165" (II Werft Danzig 1165)? 

Thank you very much!!! 

IMG_20200712_231931.jpg

Hello!

No, II.W.D. means II. Werft-Division (Shipyard-Division)

7 hours ago, koyotte said:

Hi all!

Welcome to GWForum!

This looks to be a shortened S.98 as often found with naval markings - what length is it?

Julian

It could be so, the silver paint should be removed , it looks like reserialed scabbard to this bayonet, one serial number was striked out.

7 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

No, II.W.D. means II. Werft-Division (Shipyard-Division)

Thanks alot!

I've suggested the other meaning, just because somewhere here in this post, was written that:

"... There are several 98/05 bayonets marked W.W. for Werft Wilhelmshaven going up to 7076, and a 98/05 a.A.m.S marked 'W.K.2500' is on record, but none (scabbards or bayonets) have apparently yet been found marked 'W.D' for Werft Danzig, the third of the Prussian dockyards"

I'm surprised how fast I got the first answer to my question, I really appreciate. 

3 hours ago, trajan said:

Welcome to GWForum!

This looks to be a shortened S.98 as often found with naval markings - what length is it?

Julian

Edit:Thanks for your welcome 😊

I don't have it with me right now, I will ask my friend about the measurements. 

IMG_20200712_205102.jpg

Edited by koyotte

57 minutes ago, AndyBsk said:

It could be so, the silver paint should be removed , it looks like reserialed scabbard to this bayonet, one serial number was striked out.

🤔 Very interesting. 

Hello!

Yes, you´re right! W.D. is Werft Danzig.

BUT!!!! There is a II before the W.D., so it´s Werft-Division

W.K.: Werft Kiel

W.W.: Werft Wilhelmshaven

I.W.D.: I. Werft-Division Kiel

II.W.D.: II. Werft-Division Wilhelmshaven

W.D.: Werft Danzig or just Werft-Division (before the other both Werft-Divisions were founded)

14 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

Yes, you´re right! W.D. is Werft Danzig.

BUT!!!! There is a II before the W.D., so it´s Werft-Division

W.K.: Werft Kiel

W.W.: Werft Wilhelmshaven

I.W.D.: I. Werft-Division Kiel

II.W.D.: II. Werft-Division Wilhelmshaven

W.D.: Werft Danzig or just Werft-Division (before the other both Werft-Divisions were founded)

😲👌👏👏👏👏👏

Thank you!!!!

What about the 1165??

In the bayonet looks like 165, but in the scabbard it's 1165, should be the weapon number right?

With your help, I've foun this one today:

(This is the source) http://s400910952.websitehome.co.uk/germancolonialuniforms/militaria/bayonets navy.htm

Screenshot_20200713_172109.jpg

It will be 1165 too. Note the distance between D and 165.

1 minute ago, The Prussian said:

It will be 1165 too. Note the distance between D and 165.

Wow... You have an Eagle Eye!! 😊 👌👌👌

No, only glasses... :D

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!! To all of you. 

😊

I will now, try to find more info about the units stationed in Wilhelmshaven, to have an extra info for my friend. 

That will be a lot of work. I don´t know, if there are sources in english language...

OH, I didn´t know it. Great site!

7 hours ago, koyotte said:

Edit:Thanks for your welcome 😊

I don't have it with me right now, I will ask my friend about the measurements. 

Full-length then... The shortened ones are more common in my experience. I see that the scabbard has the mid-length buckling from real use - they were too long when empty when a soldier kneeled down and that was the result.

Just now, trajan said:

Full-length then... The shortened ones are more common in my experience. I see that the scabbard has the mid-length buckling from real use - they were too long when empty when a soldier kneeled down and that was the result.

Very nice deduction, bravo!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello 

I have friend who was passed this from his late uncle from British forces. Brought back from Germany 

im trying to identify the unit it was issued to any advice most appreciated. 

Made in 1915 and came with a yellow cloth wool tassel identified to we think 9th company 3rd Battallion. image.jpg.608ca878afcf0b7a5a157f40f7ce45bf.jpg

Similar unit stamp could be not determine, as there is not a main unit, possible there is 1.Company, Weapon nr.124. on S98/05nA.

Edited by AndyBsk

Thanks Andy 

it has the same number on the scabard underneath the frog leather also a yellow fabric tassel. I’m wondering if that means a 1st company then and simply issue number 124. 

I read a post and found some suggestions that post 1914/15 they simply stopped marking the specific units 😭

Edited by Scoteee

Knot could be mixed per frog, it could be from other unit. Yes the stamps on war period are certainly not so obvious as prewar, its logical as many units were renamed, moved , raised and for this would be nightmare still restamp the units on equipment.Mainly the training and basic units as RekrutenDepots or Stamm battalions are well marked as remained in not front area.

Edited by AndyBsk