Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Unit Bayonet Markings

trajan

Certainly an odd 'non-standard' marking. Not obviously WW1 or Weimar period, or a police mark. Perhaps a Freikorps mark or one of the Einwohner units 

• 4 weeks later...

My late father fought in ww1 and this bayonet was a memento he brought back.  I would appreciate any information on its date and the unit it may have been allocated to.

Overall length = 600mm, blade length = 470mm,  T-slot in brass handle to locate on rifle.

Thank you, Steamerman

bayonet a.jpg

Hello!

The units are:

saxon Inf.Rgt.139, 8th company, weapon 91

saxon Ersatz-Bataillon, Rekruten-Depot, Inf.Rgt.104, weapon 321

saxon Ersatz-Bataillon, Inf.Rgt. 104, 4th company, weapon 22?

Edited by The Prussian

Welcome,

It's an 1871 Pattern Bayonet, if you check the spine you should find a 2 figure date stamp under the crown and W mark.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Like corectly deciphered it was used by saxon units, both parts even missmatched, the maker is Gebr.Weyersberg Solingen probably. When saxon piece so there should be not W date on spine but scribed capital letters for Saxon king. 

Right!

Stamps of the saxon kings were:

Johann (1854-1873): JR (Johann Rex)

Albert (1873-1902): AR (Albert Rex)

Georg (1902-1904): GR (Georg Rex)

Friedrich August III (1904-1919): FA (Friedrich August, NO Rex)

Thank you for the information.  I can find no markings on the spine of the blade at all, certainly non on the spine.  Only a upper case C or possibly G on the edge of the tang where the blade slots into the handle.  There is also an upper case B on the lock slide in the tee-slot.

What does the upper case B below a crown signify on both brass parts of the scabbard? (see photo)

Possible weakly stamped, so a details of inspector stamp could help, on pommel, guard or spine of blade should be visible.

On scabbard mouth piece looks like B letter proof.

• 2 months later...

I apologize for these being the best photos available to me right now.  The regimental markings are on a post WW1 German 84/98 bayonet scabbard, likely early 1930's.  I have been unable to figure out what these markings mean.  They include slashes like German Weimar period regimental markings.  They do not look like any German police unit markings I have found.  The markings appear to be 124 2/6./Pz.E.A.  Could the Pz. be for Panzer?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you. 

Scabbard.jpg

ScabbardE1.jpg

Unfortunally not visible the first part of stamp, as You correctly mentioned is of Weimar period, most real the 6 Kompany  and Panzer(abwehr, jaeger, aufklaerung) Ersatz Abteilung.too much slashes for me,it could be too a 2.company of Pz.E.A nr.6, or part of some higher units.

Edited by AndyBsk

35 minutes ago, AndyBsk said:

Unfortunally not visible the first part of stamp, as You correctly mentioned is of Weimar period, most real the 6 Kompany  and Panzer Ersatz Abteilung.

Thank you Andy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Gentlmen! I am really glad I can join this topic :) I learned a lot from all your posts, but this time I have something I don't know what to do with. Do you have any ideas about this unit on M71/84 bayonet? Made in 1887 by V.C. Schilling, SUHL. It's obviously 2nd company, and waffen nr 34. But is it connected with some Telegraph unit or maybe some Train unit? Thanks for help.

PB242306-Copy.jpg

PB242313-Copy.jpg

Edited by Guest

Should be Train Battalion(Abteilung since 1914) nr.11 KurrHessisches, Sanitaets Kompanie nr.2, weapon nr.34. Nice S71/84 bayonet. Outdoted was probably too Train but Ersatz company probably on scabbard.

"Das Kurhessische Train-Bataillon Nr. 11 war das Train-Bataillon des XI. Armee-Korps. Es unterstand dem Kommando des Trains des VIII., XI. und XVIII. Armee-Korps. Friedensstandort war Cassel, Hauptstadt der preußischen Provinz Hessen-Nassau"

Edited by AndyBsk

Thank you very much for identification! I thought that outdated one was J.E. - Jaeger Ersatz. But I am not sure. Just for curiosity - what could be worth of this bayonet now? Blade is in the same shape as the rest of it - very nice, without damage. I don't see much of them on bidding sites.

The S71/84 is not extra scarce,the condition is good,unit matching,so certainly over 120€,but i am not expert on this,should be looked to Ebay.personally believe there is 11.T outdoted,but with magnyfying glass Yoi will see it better.

Hey Andy, 

Matching 71/84’s must be pretty common where you are, say over €120. Is pretty low. Here in U.S., a MATCHING  71/84 goes $350 - $400 or sometimes more if match Bavarian On average

As mentioned i am not expert in prices, anyway here in middle Europe near Germany is no problem obtain a S71/84, harder is find matching numbers. when were last shows prior corona the prices was about 120-150€ . Hard to believe here would pay for similar bayonet 400USD, as S71/84 are not extra searched here.

Edited by AndyBsk

13 hours ago, Maciej said:

Thank you very much for identification! I thought that outdated one was J.E. - Jaeger Ersatz. But I am not sure. Just for curiosity - what could be worth of this bayonet now? Blade is in the same shape as the rest of it - very nice, without damage. I don't see much of them on bidding sites.

Certainly an 'E' there, so Jäger Ersatz bat. is probable

Hi guys, new member here... I have an old bayonet that was left to me by my father and would like some info on it if you can. 

My father told me it might be an old German bayonet that was given to him by his father. Unfortunately there aren't alot of markings and seems like someone (possibly in my family) tried to sharpen the blade and thus remove some of its markings. 

Could you help? 

What I could find was that it possibly has a Brown Leather Belt Frog, for carrying the M1884/98 knife but not sure. 

IMG_20201205_172932.jpg

IMG_20201205_172852.jpg

IMG_20201205_172845.jpg

IMG_20201205_172826.jpg

Hi Dylan!

Welcome to the Forum!

l.M.I.42.66

Leichte Munitionskolonne, I.Abteilung, Feldartillerie-Regiment 42, Waffe nr. 66

Light ammunition-column, 1st detachment, Field artillery-Regiment 42, weapon n° 66

Hi @The Prussian thanks for the identification. I am based in South Africa and don't have much knowledge on this.

Do you have any more info on it? I tried googling it but haven't been able to find anything. Is it quite common? 

Edited by Dylan

Well, each fieldartillery regiment had those columns.

The FAR42 came from Schweidnitz in Upper-Silesia.

The ammo-column was renamed in column 96 (February 1917), later in column 961 (May 1917)

The regiment belonged to the 11th Infantry Division and fought the entire war in France.

1914: Rheims, Argonne

1915: Champagne, Souchez

1916: Frise, Somme

1917: Somme, Artois, Flanders, Woevre

1918: Champagne, Lassigny, Montdidier, St. Quentin,

15 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Hi @The Prussian thanks for the identification. I am based in South Africa and don't have much knowledge on this.

Do you have any more info on it? I tried googling it but haven't been able to find anything. Is it quite common? 

Well, once upon a time it was a full length S.71 bayonet, with a 470 mm blade! Then cut down I assume for use as a trench knife. This one was made by - it looks to be - a sSolingen make, but it needs a bit more time to check it out that I can do now. So, made after 1871/2 and before 1898, for use by the Prussian army (the Prussian had identified the unit), onIy in this cut-down form as a trench knife very unusual - first I have ever seen. Possibly done in WW2, depending if the frog came with the bayonet, so we need to know the entire history! 

Is there anything more I can add to make it easier for you to establish more info? This is extremely interesting. 

I just spoke to my Dad, he said my grandfather picked it up in New York. 

Your help so far is brilliant lads, I would have just thrown it out

Corectly deciphered by Prussian, should be mentioned that piece is already a castrate, mostly from Faschinenmesser M1864 or Um(not from bayonet), the blade was shortened and both end of crossguard were cut off. Maker of blade Schnitzler & Kirschbaum Solingen. The frog  could be for S98/05 or S84/98 as mentioned, any backside marking?

Edited by AndyBsk