Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Unit Bayonet Markings

trajan

5 hours ago, AndyBsk said:

Andy should be right, even the letter doesnt looks like E, the dot behind the letter and its possition speaks for E letter, possible the die could be damaged in lower part.

Yes, yes, it is an E eventually, but you have to see it very closely to see it!!! 

Very faint the lower part as you notice. 

Thank you both Andy's!!!! 

• 10 months later...

Your piece goes through many decades of service, started life as WW1 S84/98nA made by Rich.Herder Solingen in 1918? , post 1920 accepted into Weimar Reichswehr with the stamp of 1920 designated as property of state,the unit marking is mostly Weimar era and means Reiter Regiment nr.7, Ausbildung Eskadron weapon nr 47, (Cavalry regiment nr.7, school eskadron)  located in Breslau now in Poland, in post 1932 period it were reblued and changed flashguard and grips with smaller screws,  the chequered flashguard speaks for post WW2 using by GDR or east Germany, so in service minimum 40 years.

Edited by AndyBsk

1 hour ago, AndyBsk said:

Your piece goes through many decades of service, started life as WW1 S84/98nA made by Rich.Herder Solingen in 1918? , post 1920 accepted into Weimar Reichswehr with the stamp of 1920 designated as property of state,the unit marking is mostly Weimar era and means Reiter Regiment nr.7, Ausbildung Eskadron weapon nr 47, (Cavalry regiment nr.7, school eskadron)  located in Breslau now in Poland, in post 1932 period it were reblued and changed flashguard and grips with smaller screws,  the chequered flashguard speaks for post WW2 using by GDR or east Germany, so in service minimum 40 years.

Thanks so much. It's amazing to sat the least. And to have it in my hands now. I need to find the right scabbard for the peice that will make it even better!. Again thanks for your insight 

The scabbard could be WW1 period changed to WW2 standarts. Anyway find a matching scabbard to the unit would be probably impossible.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2019 at 10:37, trajan said:

Not certain on rarity, although clearly the double stamp is. These 98/05 were certainly used by German occupation troops in France in WW2, but they were not marked, I don't think; and by Luftwaffe and police, but marked, also.

Dear colleagues,

Markings and stamps on the flashguard 98/05 from III Raich period. This type of bayonet was used by the Police, RLM and Luftschutz after renovation.

Both come from the Third Reich period and are renovation markings. Su4 - Spandau-stamped components. Those stamps indicate that the components were inspected / approved at Spandau and made available for the armorer teams (Waffenwerkstatt) I think that second stamp SUWW 1937 means that the renovation (oxidation, screws) was carried out by Spandau Waffenwerkstatt in 1937

Herder over Durkopp...

Mayby Durkopp made a bayonet. Herder removed saw or Durkopp made the blade, Herder assembled a bayonet ...

Best ragards Rafal

image.jpg.c917e8df41985e32feaa4079ab9fa50b.jpg

DSC_4159.jpg

DSC_4155.jpg

Personally disagree with this , the bayonet when reworked by Spandau was part of Wehrmacht not Police, or RLM, i never saw a similar refurbished piece with RLM marking, but never say something, as i dont saw all pieces. Flashguard was changed by large refurbishment in 30 ies period. Spandau WW 1937 is correct. Teoretically it could be used by police units that got army material for equipment.

The bayonet blade was clearly made by Herder Solingen as the control mark is typical for that area , the finisher was probably someone else. we dont see here the maker mark when there is a Durkopp so the handle finisher was this firm, but Durkopp dont mashined blades in WW1. 

Edited by AndyBsk

1 hour ago, AndyBsk said:

Personally disagree with this , the bayonet when reworked by Spandau was part of Wehrmacht not Police, or RLM, i never saw a similar refurbished piece with RLM marking, but never say something, as i dont saw all pieces. Flashguard was changed by large refurbishment in 30 ies period. Spandau WW 1937 is correct. Teoretically it could be used by police units that got army material for equipment.

The bayonet blade was clearly made by Herder Solingen as the control mark is typical for that area , the finisher was probably someone else. we dont see here the maker mark when there is a Durkopp so the handle finisher was this firm, but Durkopp dont mashined blades in WW1. 

Hallo Andy,

The renovation was undoubtedly carried out during the Third Reich. I am not saying that this bayonet was used by RLM and other auxiliary units. I also don't think 98/05 was used by the Wehrmacht in this period. I think they prefer used 84/98 in Raichswehr period and later. Vide WuK production in the end of twenties. The later 98/05 was used in the Third Reich in auxiliary guard units. 

From my collection reworked 98/05 with Su58 and SUWW 1937

P1260644.JPG

It was used by Wehrmacht about this are period photos, by guarding and second line units, Flak units of Wehrmacht etc, the refurbish was done in Heeres Zeugamter which one was Spandau. Prior 1942 there were stil produced frogs for S98/05 bayonets, same as in Reibert manual is still listed S98/05 as a bayonet.

Exactly. Second line units - used 98/05. I meant Wehrmacht first line units. There he reigned in 84/98.

Frog for 98/05 from 1941

P1270671.JPG

P1270673.JPG

• 2 months later...

Hi , can anyone help with this 98/05 . Thanks IMG_3584.JPG.c28df69cb11c1455d9ad22a138728e94.JPGIMG_3590.JPG.e342853a89b5734dd9f1d8fd2c4ec9fc.JPGIMG_3595.JPG.c0762a923a08b32cead4498ae24924f5.JPGIMG_3598.JPG.5e33b1bd0b759920c37251c0f755f2bb.JPG

My apologise for the side ways pics .

Regards .

• 3 weeks later...

One of the first Waffenfabrik-made bayonets! This one made after September 1915. There are some slightly earlier transitional versions around but I have yet to see one in the flesh

• 3 months later...

Well, scabbards do get passed around to fit bayonets that need them and vice versa! The chances of this happening though, a regimental company issue with its reserve company equivalent must be pretty low... Nice combination when all is said and done!

Julian

On scabbard it looks like 15 instead of 5? as mentioned wout enough space on bayonet could be simplifyed the unit with only one script R for Reserve Regiment.

Hard to say as there is the old unit outdoted in upper row, the lower row on scabbards normally didnt have doubble stamping on one place, this could be done only on crossguard, where it was outfiled but the mouth fittings is not thick. evidently the 53 and 15 looks little strange, same as there is some slash.

This quote below is my immediate reply yesterday (25 June) to a post and photograph that are no longer on this thread? What happened to it? For a momnt I thought I was dreaming byt AndyB has alo replied to  it - see the two posts above this one. 

On 25/06/2022 at 07:22, trajan said:

Well, scabbards do get passed around to fit bayonets that need them and vice versa! The chances of this happening though, a regimental company issue with its reserve company equivalent must be pretty low... Nice combination when all is said and done!

Julian

Could be done by server crashing and replacing to  a older copy or the owner removed the thread.

All very odd... Especially is the owner deleted it!

• 1 month later...

Weimar era Reichswehr stamp on scabbard, Infanterie Regiment nr.11, 1.Company, weapon nr.1, bayonet should be matching with same unit, which would be probably 1920 stamped on crossguard. The unit was located in Leipzig in Saxony.

• 1 year later...

I assume similar bayonets are not focused on this forum, your is a S84/98 made by E.Pack, 1939, matching numbers, proofs are WaA253 on various parts, it means acceptance per Waffen amt.

Edited by AndyBsk