Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC1 - Paxman: Britain's Great War

spof

Thanks SPOF - should be interesting viewing.

Anne

Thanks for posting.

Ant

So a British programme but not broadcast in celtic areas until after. Normal BBC thinking there. Does not bother be a jot I have English BBC, Iplayer live on my TV etc but it does appear a bit odd that a supposed natoinal event is split for viewing. I know the BBC has schedules but we get to see Top Gear same time as England.

The continuity announcer said tonight that this programme is being shown on BBC1 Scotland at 9pm on Monday 27 January, contrary to the information originally given on the BBC website page linked above, which has now been amended.

From the BBC 1 website:

Mon 27 Jan 2014 21:00 BBC One except Wales, Wales HD

BBC One Wed 29 Jan 2014 21:00 BBC One Wales, Wales HD only

Which begs the question of what is so important in Wales that they have to wait two days to see this?

The rest of us have Outnumbered (OK) and Mrs Brown's Boys (ugh!) on Wednesday at 9pm

To answer my own question:

"Hinterland

Episode 4: Part 1

Image for Episode 4: Part 1Not currently available on BBC iPlayer

Series 1 (two-parters) Episode 7 of 8

Duration: 1 hour

The body of a young woman in a striking red dress is found abandoned but carefully placed in the Borth marshes. A series finale that pushes Mathias to the edge, both personally and professionally."

"Britain's Great War"

Obviously the contribution of Irishmen to the British war effort is not deemed to be important.

Doesn't the proper definition of "British Isles" includes Ireland? I think that "The British Lions" in terms of rugby is correct but sensitivities led to the team being renamed "The British and Irish Lions"

Roger

To answer my own question:

"Hinterland

Episode 4: Part 1

Image for Episode 4: Part 1Not currently available on BBC iPlayer

Series 1 (two-parters) Episode 7 of 8

Duration: 1 hour

The body of a young woman in a striking red dress is found abandoned but carefully placed in the Borth marshes. A series finale that pushes Mathias to the edge, both personally and professionally."

Hinterland is a really good series. It is available with English sub-titles. However, it is universally dark, with all the events on brooding marshlands, with glowering clouds above.....but the scenery is really stunning, the acting good, the plot lines of interest, so I can understand the BBC Wales schedule planners deciding to keep their time slot for the series, and move Paxo to Wednesday.

Bruce

Steven Broomfield is on the cover of this week's RT!

Roger

British Isles, yes

Britain, no

In 1914, it was United Kingdom of GB and Ireland

Fed up with people using Britain instead of UK (mind you ,not as bad as using England! )

As Roger days, Britain is just shorthand for the entire geographical and political collection of islands of the United Kingdom, known (including Ireland) as the British Isles. Men from all parts of the kingdom joined the British Army, and served under the British flag.

Hinterland is a really good series. It is available with English sub-titles. However, it is universally dark, with all the events on brooding marshlands, with glowering clouds above.....but the scenery is really stunning, the acting good, the plot lines of interest, so I can understand the BBC Wales schedule planners deciding to keep their time slot for the series, and move Paxo to Wednesday.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. Sounds worth watching. Has it ever been transmitted beyond Wales?

As Roger days, Britain is just shorthand for the entire geographical and political collection of islands of the United Kingdom, known (including Ireland) as the British Isles. Men from all parts of the kingdom joined the British Army, and served under the British flag.

I thought Britain or UK (but not the British Isles) included Northern Ireland but not Ireland.

At least they're not calling it "Paxo's War"

Philip - in current political status, the country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, in 1914 it was he United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Kate - Sorry, I disagree ... UK is the shorthand for United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland ... "Britain" is often used by those people who do not realise that the relationship between GB and NI.

Kate - also "Britain" and "British" are not synonymous terms, as the latter includes UK passport holders living in NI whilst the former excludes UK passport holders living in NI.

The Sunday Times "Culture" section says that Paxman concentrates on the Home Front. It also says it includes "an account of August 14, 1914, when Britain declared war on Germany", when, apparently, senior ministers were "cracking up".

Still, it becomes me not to carp at an erroneous digit, as I've done it rather too many times myself.

Moonraker :hypocrite:

Here we go again and the bloomin programme has not even been shown yet!

Steve, I quite agree. It's like the book reviews that have been carried out on here, where nobody has read the books.

TR

Bruce

It is indeed very dark but also very good as you mention Bruce. I live near to the part of Wales in which it was fimed and is set, really stunning locations many of which I have walked through including the main characters caravan on the coast between Aberaeron and Aberystwyth. it is already available on Iplayer which I assume is regardless of region. As an aside, a mate was in the first episode.

I shall hapilly wait until wednesday to watch Paxman, though I assume it might be on Iplayer sooner than that?