Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC1 - Paxman: Britain's Great War

spof

The program was informative and a useful introduction to 1WW, yes there were ommissions,as stated above but in such a program somebody has to make a choise, that choise may not suit other people who have a slightly different perspective on the subject. I assumed they used film of the time, if so the quality had been much improved to produce excellent quality pictures. I too did not know of the human side of the politicans in the cabinet, most reveiling.

It will be worth a look next week

Richard

Generally a very good beginning and enjoyed by non -Great War Greatcoats I have spoken to at work who saw it. Similar in its thematic, episodic style to the recent Andrew Marr History series but Paxman is a less distracting presenter and thankfully didn't go in for Marr's amateur dramatics and mugging to the camera.

...also that the events leading up to the War were not well covered...

That would probable have taken the programme well outside its 'Britain's Great War' brief, not to mention needing, to do it justice, a full length programme in its own right. Perhaps more of an explanation of the how & why's of Britain's involvement came about (ie the treaties involved etc) at the start would have been beneficial.

IanW - I heard beards as well :thumbsup:

NigelS

Hopefully there's someone at the BBC ensuring that the contents of its programmes on the war don't overlap and duplicate too much. Paxman's series concentrates on the war in Britain and putting this into the context of the building of international tensions, key battles and so on would take up too much space; no doubt these aspects will be fully covered in other programmes.

Moonraker

These are still to come - will hopefully give us lots to argue about in the coming months

Royal Cousins of War BBC2

How European royal relatives ended up on opposing sides and how this led to the collapse of many royal houses.

The Pity of War/The Necessary War BBC2

Historians Niall Ferguson and Max Hastings adopt different positions on who was to blame for the outbreak of war and whether Britain was right to enter.

WQell better than most WW1 stuff on the TV. I learned some new stuff. The images were out of sinc with the period but I can live with that. Some nice stuff on total war and IIRC the Navy was mentioned but in no depth. If this programme was made for anoraks like us and went into great detail I think we would be the only viewers.

Overall quite good I thought.

TT

As Trenchtrotter says a lot of us are WW1 spotters, with significant expertise in certain areas, to much knowledge can be a bad thing. It is aimed at Jo Public and we must be "swift to praise and slow to criticize". Yes there were mistakes like the commentary with the recruits marching along in civilian clothes and saying they had to make do with cloth caps rather than helmets. Most people would have not noticed the significance of what he said.

Really enjoyed it. It was aimed at the general public who only know the scant facts about WW1. My daughter who studied WW1 at school for her exams didn't know about the naval bombardment of the East Coast. So some facts will come out. But good start.

Good to see some new material amongst the usual. Also enjoyed the interviews with the Hartlepool lady and the Fitch family member , but then I would !

Notice that Paul Reed's name appeared on the list of credits.

I found the Programme to be very informative. Also I too wasn’t aware of the shelling of the towns along the East Coast.

Surprisingly good, by my reckoning.

Expecting a BBC tirade of bias, I found it disciplined, nuanced and moving.

Recommended.

Phil (PJA)

There have already been references to the programme being made for viewing by a wider audience than ourselves so I can forgive Paxman on what should or could have been included. All in all I enjoyed the programme and look forward to watching next week. I am sure we will continue to be further entertained by the praise/criticism/judgment of the programme by members in the weeks to come.

Anne

I can barely wait to see Flatulence Ferguson well and truly duffed-up by Falklands Max

Rather hoping for the opposite outcome myself!

Yes, also looking forward to Niall and Max going toe to toe.

As regards Paxo's offering, I am quite prepared to accept that it has to be episodic but all the more reason to ensure that you make every episode - and by extension every camera shot - as sharp and incisive as possible - some items kinda fulfilled that brief but some were a bit woolly.

By the way did anyone see the bearded Sergeant early on at the left of his men. What an impressive man. I wonder who he was?

very good - very much enjoyed what was happening at home as opposed to tourist ww1 history that the beeb normally throw at us!

By the way did anyone see the bearded Sergeant early on at the left of his men. What an impressive man. I wonder who he was?

I noticed him, he looked a tough old boot with his white whiskers. (7 mins in to the programme) I wondered why he was allowed to have a beard ?

Untitled_2.jpg

Mick.

I was pleasantly surprised and thought it was well done.

I was pleased early on with Paxman intoning 'Doom, Doom, Doom' to the sound of Big Ben striking 11.00 p.m. Am i correct in thinking that this was a subtle - almost subliminal - cultural reference to that classic WW1 poem 'The German Guns' by Private Baldrick?

Paul

I thought it was reasonably good, but as stated in previous posts I have studied the war for years. However my wife thought it was informative and she had also never heard about the East Coast shelling (Hartlepool, Gt Yarmouth) so it has probably caught the attention/imagination of some of the less informed public than the members of this forum.

Hopefully the rest of the series will be equally as good if not better for non forum members.

Oh nearly forgot the part where the old lady talked about the Hartlepool shelling, did anyone else noticed when she mentioned that " A man had his head blown off" she actually smiled, probably was the local rent collector :whistle:

Oh nearly forgot the part where the old lady talked about the Hartlepool shelling, did anyone else noticed when she mentioned that " A man had his head blown off" she actually smiled, probably was the local rent collector :whistle:

.......................correction - "the German rent collector"?

Anne

I hardly ever watch TV now and was not looking forward to the programme but decided to give it a chance, trying to put myself in 'neutral' mode as it were.

I was pleasantly surprised. There is certainly a fair amount I disagreed with yet thought Paxo presented well and certainly I will want to see more of the series.

I'm currently reading the book (which I'm enjoying) and found the TV programme very informative and well put together. More importantly, my wife, who has no-more than a passing interest in the War (more of a tolerance of my 'hobby') watched the full thing with interest. She asked a lot of questions and we had a good chat about it afterwards. If the rest of the TV/radio/online features on the Great War are carried out to this standard, I'll be quite happy!

'Doom, Doom, Doom' to the sound of Big Ben striking 11.00 p.m. Am i correct in thinking that this was a subtle - almost subliminal - cultural reference to that classic WW1 poem 'The German Guns' by Private Baldrick?

Paul

Me too Paul, did make me grin!

Ray

Think they done a great Job, set the scene and left us wanting more. I for one was thoroughly impressed. I feel the programme approach the War from a fresh angle, and moved away from the now quite common World War 1 presentation style. Lets face it this subject however presented will cause discussion, Didn't realise Kitchener was so tall! This Forum is full of experts, but I very rarely hear Two of them agree. So what chance does poor old Mr Paxman really have?

Well done Auntie Beeb, well done Mr Paxman and well done all forum members involved in production.

Ray