Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC1 - Paxman: Britain's Great War

spof

The wife and I just managed to watch this and enjoyed it. I really liked the juxtaposing of modern imagery with the sepia tones. Especially the trains and the shots of random folk in modern cities.

Very sound, if somewhat sour, overview in the Times by AA Gill. He also gives the original and most excellent BBC Great War series a good plug

Very sound, if somewhat sour, overview in the Times by AA Gill. He also gives the original and most excellent BBC Great War series a good plug

When the Great War series was rebroadcast prior to its DVD release, Gill's review was so fulsome that it was used in the publicity for its release and, if memory serves (my copy is at school), was actually printed on the DVD case.

I also thought Hugo Rifkind's review in the Times yesterday was very fair. In fact he summed up a lot of the comments on this thread when he started, 'Primetime history documentaries are a tricky business, simultaneously needing to cater for people who know lots and people who know nothing.'

David

I also thought Hugo Rifkind's review in the Times yesterday was very fair. In fact he summed up a lot of the comments on this thread when he started, 'Primetime history documentaries are a tricky business, simultaneously needing to cater for people who know lots and people who know nothing.'

I would certainly agree with this. I generally have no quarrel with the content and tone of Paxo's programme but just thought it a bit sloppy in the presentation. It just needed to be sharper. I often get a feeling with modern tv progs that the whole team does not get together at the end to review the almost finished product and fine tune and polish it - sort out the minor errors and remove the really average bits. Perhaps cost constraints just don't allow this any more. If so it's a pity.

Well Just watched tonights programme and I find Paxman doing a superb job in my opinion......

Dan Snow please note .... as far as I'm concerned Jeremy Paxman is different class...

Well done the BBC

regards

Tom

I missed the first episode as I had a rehearsal, but enjoyed tonight's, especially the personal stories.

Well Just watched tonights programme and I find Paxman doing a superb job in my opinion......

Dan Snow please note .... as far as I'm concerned Jeremy Paxman is different class...

Well done the BBC

regards

Tom

Likewise, second this.

David

Watched last weeks and found it most enjoyable. Last night's recorded and looking forward to watching it. in my humble view a very good tool for using in schools as an introduction to the First World War.

Have just finished Paxman's book "Great Britain in the Great War" - again in my humble opinion a very good overview and introductory read to the First World War.

Good work Mr Paxman.

Ant

As an overview this is proving to be an excellent series. I agree with others a little more 'polishing' would have made it better.

Dave

Dave I like the way that surviving traces of the war are included, last night had the inscriptions on the walls of the prison in particular the drawing of one inmate’s mother and also the gunpowder mill both of which I found very interesting indeed. Of course the letter home from the soldier was very poignant.

Norman

I have not been able to see it here yet (although a mate with a video feed from the BBC has it recorded for me)

Regarding this picture though. I am not sure what it was represented as in the film, but if I had seen this and been asked to identify it here I would be very sure it was not taken in 1914 as he appears to be carrying a Pattern '14 rifle and deliveries did not start until considerably later (1916?).

Chris

He looks like the bloke that drives the fire engine on Trumpton!

Paxo was far, far better this week I thought.

Incidentally I see Snow has moved on to winter sport - so I suppose snow is falling - Snow on snow.

Not only did he not seem to get on with the conchies, but he didn't hold back when interviewing the two guys in Glasgow about the strike by shipyard workers either.

Bruce

Yes, I too found the second episode better. Pleasing to see him take a stance on the conscientious objectors and strikers whether one agrees with him or not.

I thought he might have mentioned the possibility that the Lusitania was carrying munitions in a quite long section on its sinking.

Paxo was far, far better this week I thought.

Incidentally I see Snow has moved on to winter sport - so I suppose snow is falling - Snow on snow.

I love it. You have won a virtual trip to Suchi.

Jack

I thought this episode was more interesting than the last. In particular the inscriptions on the walls of the prison, the drawing of the inmate's mother on the wall from his photograph, and the last letter home from the soldier. I don't understand Paxman's reason not to mention the Lusitania had been carrying munitions as this would only have taken a few seconds.

Anne

I agree Ian a very refreshing change from the normal attitudes portrayed.

Norman

Norman, do I take it that you view conscientious objection to compulsory military service as wrong?

I don't understand Paxman's reason not to mention the Lusitania had been carrying munitions as this would only have taken a few seconds.

Yes, it would have been an interesting point of balance to the very sad description of the rosy cheeked baby casualty that Paxo seemed to rather relish!

Sixth Commandment, 0 - Norman, 1