Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KIR

I dug out this snippet from the OH for Jon earlier today off the board, but it occurs to me that it's relevant to a wider audience, and possibly not that well known, so worth posting here too ...

It concerns the clock times of the combatants for the Kaiserschlacht and the impact of their differing adoption of Summer Time.

577400811_TimedifferencesAllies-German1918OH1918VolIp_xii.jpg.fbd9e60bd0d2cf0d5d1f579a037bd641.jpg

[OH 1918, Vol I, page xii]

Important to know this if reading German unit histories etc.

The French were also on GMT at this period, but I cannot confirm they switched to Summer Time on the same night as the British & Commonwealth armies.  One would imagine so ... but crazy things happen with time zones!

Mark

Edited by MBrockway
Extra materialadded so this post shows up in searches for 'Summer Time' etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm sorry and I apologize for my late response, but I see the new answers just today - very, very interesting!!!

So I would like to thank subsequently all participants for your great support!

Thanks and best regards

Jens

On 14/10/2018 at 19:32, Jon1906 said:

... Update: I realize that 1918 is in volume 2. Would it be possible to scan the relevant pages for March 22nd/23rd attack on Jussy and put them here, if you have a copy of the book?

.... here you will find a PDF-file (March - Mai 1918):  KIR145MarchAprilMai1918.pdf

On 17/01/2019 at 22:09, Jon1906 said:

To answer my own question about Artur Boer, I think he must have been working with the 1st Bavarian Division, the force directly assaulting Jussy. ....

"The Great War from the German Trenches: A Sapper's Memoir, 1914-1918" - Artur H. Boer

There was a Artur Boer (from Jarotschin/Posen (today Poland) in the Pionier-Bataillon Nr.2

- see: http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/2331119

KRRC2.jpg

Edited by KIR

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

Additionally to the uniform chart, that proofs, the 9th bataillon had the triangle, 8th bataillon a rhombus. I checked the monthly army lists.

From february until may in both bataillons were no changings according to Majors. But in june, Major Lacey of 9./KRRC is not mentioned anymore!

What happened to him, please?

The war diary of the 9th.Btl. says, that Major Lacey was wounded and evacuated on march 23. Maybe this entry was wrong and he was captured?

Edited by The Prussian

KIR,

What is the source for this chart?

The 14th (Light) Division flashes seem correct, but there are errors in those shown for the 20th (Light) Division.

1071324741_12-KRRC-wrong.jpg.ccbbeb37a1066a8828d02e7b7ab20f11.jpg

12/KRRC was a triangle, point uppermost, above three horizontal bars, all in black.  The 60 Brigade symbol was the upright triangle.  The Diamond was used by 11/DLI, the Divisional Pioneers and, as far as I know, with no horizontal bars.

1965197248_11-KRRC-Wolseleyhelmet-why.jpg.64b95e33d3b3498044a9fbd7483a3798.jpg

11/KRRC's flash is shown as a pugri patch on a Wolseley helmet, yet 11/KRRC were on the Western Front for the duration and would never have worn a pith helmet.  In any case the 60 Bde flash was a triangle, point uppermost, not a diamond, which was used by 11/DLI, the divisional pioneers.

Mark

Hello Mark,

thank you very much for your interesting information!

1 hour ago, MBrockway said:

What is the source for this chart? ...

And I got the chart from Andreas, it is from the book by Kevin Beckhurst "WW1 British Battle Insignia":

http://www.militarymode.co.uk/british-battle-insignia-of-wwi-by-kevin-beckhurst/

Best regards,

Jens

Edited by KIR

Hello!

What happened to the captured officers in the army lists? Were they still listed? Bowen and Barber are stil listed in the monthly army lists of june 1918 in 8./KRRC.

If "our" Major was in 8th or 9th bataillon, he must have been listed in the march 1918 volume of the monthly army list.

8th Btl.: Two Majors: Bowen and Barber

9th Btl.: Two Majors: Howard-Bury and Lacey

These four Majors were listed in February 1918 too.

Edited by The Prussian

4 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

What happened to the captured officers in the army lists? Were they still listed?

Yes, captured officers remained on the Army List, unless conclusive evidence was received that they had subsequently died in captivity.

21 hours ago, MBrockway said:

The 14th (Light) Division flashes seem correct, but there are errors in those shown for the 20th (Light) Division.

Mark

On 19/02/2019 at 03:42, The Prussian said:

Hello!

Additionally to the uniform chart, that proofs, the 9th bataillon had the triangle, 8th bataillon a rhombus. I

Apologies Pals, but I did not examine the 14th (Light) Division in the plate above carefully enough - it also has differences to the material Andy and I have gathered.

8/KRRC's flash was an inverted triangle, red, 2” sides, felt, not a diamond.

9/KRRC's flashes were the various variations on the inverted triangle as shown, but I have no evidence that the red/green triangle was used point uppermost "until 1917".  Also the company flashes at the upper arm were all worn above a light green bar.

4 hours ago, MBrockway said:

..., captured officers remained on the Army List, unless conclusive evidence was received that they had subsequently died in captivity.

... arggh - that doesn't make things any easier! But thank you very much for this information!

3 hours ago, MBrockway said:

8/KRRC's flash was an inverted triangle, red, 2” sides, felt, not a diamond.

I hope I understand it now correctly, the illustration (of the diamond) in the chart to the 8th battalion is not correct!? 

Thank you very much and with kind regards,
Jens

9thKRRC.jpg

Edited by KIR

6 hours ago, stiletto_33853 said:

From the Regiment itself

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 09.44.30.png

Hello stiletto!

Thanks for the list! You said it´s from the regiment itself. But what about the 9th bataillon? Only the 8th is mentioned.

In my book I read there was a changing in 1917. Maybe your list from pre-17?

Edited by The Prussian

• 8 months later...
On 17/10/2013 at 01:58, MBrockway said:

We have some inconclusive evidence that Robert L Bowen may have died in late 1958/early 1959 in Inner London.

As his father and grandfather were both riflemen, there's a fair chance he has an obituary in the KRRC Chronicle for 1959 or 1960.

I only have the latter and he's not mentioned.

If any Pal has the 1959 KRRC Chronicle could they have a quick look?

I must stress that this 1958-9 death date is inconclusive though

Robert Bowen died in 1959.

Oddly enough for this thread I had met him in 1957. I was 3!