Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference 2014 - fifth speaker announced

AlanCurragh

See, a man who appreciates a genuine Massey Ferguson blade! I knew there'd be one :)

Appreciates a pretty blonde more like.

I think we (me and my two mates) were sitting at the table next to you, we were behind Alan, at the back. Shy, bashful and distracted by the tale of a battleship that didn't seem to do anything I did'nt dare say hello in case I was wrong.

This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.....

I learned very early on that a GPS is a wonderful thing but each has a sliver of mischief within that will take you off your ideal route at any inconvenient moment. In 2004 we took our 'bike to SW France and went for a run around the beautiful area known as the Minerve. It was a glorious day, the secondary main-roads were well-maintained and empty and we were having a lovely time. The instruction came "Turn left" so, knowing no better, I did. This road was more like a farm track! Narrow, rutted and with large gritty areas that left crimp-marks on the seat after I'd navigated them. At one point, it was so bad Ruth had to get off and walk!!!

It took ages to reach the far end, which joined the original road about 200 yards away from where we'd turned off. I'll swear I heard faint laughter through my headphones.......

Keith

I would just like to add my own thanks to Alan and Sue for organising a great event and I am glad me and Andy took the plunge this year to arrive Friday evening in time for drinks and curry, which proved to be a very good sociable evening. The speakers were excellent and my own highlight was Tony Pollard; his final slide of the descendants of the 19 year old Australian killed at Fromelles holding his photo gave me goose bumps. I hope Christina Holstein will be able to speak next year instead? Finally, thank you to the people who bought a copy of my book, I hope you will find it a good investment. Cheers all. Carole.

A superb Conference and great organisation, to which blend I would add friendly and knowledgeable company. What could be better?

Many thanks everyone.

Martin

Thank you, Alan and Sue, for organising the conference to its usual high standard and to all the speakers who gave us such an interesting and entertaining day.

As well as the microphone question, could it also be arranged for that infernal red dot that is used as a pointer to be about the size of a cricket ball next year? Very difficult to pick it up from the naughty tables at the back of the room!

I would also like to thank those who made the effort to bring along the various exhibits. The trench art was fascinating even though one had to run the gauntlet of the high pressure sales tactics employed by the purveyors of second hand and new books. Del Trotter would have been proud!

Thanks to Tim (Trenchtrotter) for bringing along his field finds and making the rest of us feel so totally inadequate. I would regard my life as complete if I found a shoulder title or cap badge and he has found PILES of them!. After much persuasion and copious quantities of alcohol at the OC on Friday night, we finally managed to extract the secrets of success from him which mainly consisted of 1) knowing where to look 2) looking and 3) leaving my wife at home. Thanks Tim.

Also to KIm. for sharing a photograph of the extremely rare, possible even unique, Massey Ferguson bayonet tip which the untrained eye would have dismissed as a rusty old piece of metal. The depth of knowledge among the members of this Forum is truly extraordinary.

And to all the other Forum members I met - and to those I didn't but hope to meet next year - thank you for a great couple of days.

Paul

Thanks to Tim (Trenchtrotter) for bringing along his field finds and making the rest of us feel so totally inadequate. I would regard my life as complete if I found a shoulder title or cap badge and he has found PILES of them!. After much persuasion and copious quantities of alcohol at the OC on Friday night, we finally managed to extract the secrets of success from him which mainly consisted of 1) knowing where to look 2) looking and 3) leaving my wife at home. Thanks Tim.

I would certainly hope that Tim would leave your wife at home, honestly the things that go on in the forum! :whistle:

If anyone has ideas about laser pointers that would throw a larger image without being banned as potential military weapons we might look into that, but I seem to think that there are real constraints on the power of such things. Given the range of our membership, maybe someone knows better.....

Alan and Sue, thanks again. An excellent conference, and some good company in all five conference locations, counting the bar and the breakfast .tables at the Premier Inn as well as the OC, Tally Ho and Akbar's.

Keith

Another great conference, and great to see everyone again, thanks Alan and Sue for your hard work

Mark

Another great conference with speakers who left the audience with many new and interesting facts and ideas to take on board.

A very friendly crowd, good food, lots of books to buy plus Christmas cards, what else could you ask for?

Many thanks Alan and Sue once again for all your hard work in organising the conference.

I would certainly hope that Tim would leave your wife at home, honestly the things that go on in the forum! :whistle:

Sharp as a Massey Ferguson blade as usual, Robert :lol:

If anyone has ideas about laser pointers that would throw a larger image without being banned as potential military weapons we might look into that, but I seem to think that there are real constraints on the power of such things. Given the range of our membership, maybe someone knows better.....

Can be bought in the USA but hey so can assault rifles and they also cost about $300 a pop. However reasonably priced laser pointers can be bought in the UK that allow the pointing image on the screen to be selected -options are usually finger, arrow, line, circle and dot. The one in use at the conference was set to dot which is the smallest and most difficult to spot. My own experience in running events suggests that finger or arrow are much better. Moreover if you use a bright green laser this can also be easier to see than a red one (and less likely to be confused with a German request for supporting artillery fire :thumbsup: )

Can I just add my thanks to Alan and Sue first for being invited and second for the excellent manner in which the whole thing was organised - including the brilliant plan to allow me to avoid having to answer any embarrassing questions :whistle: It was very good to be able to put faces to names after all these years and to say hello again to several other friends. The dinner afterwards was excellent too and I recommend it to those who did not attend. It was a great way to wind down after the conference and chat to people not spoken to during the earlier part of the day. In fact the whole thing was so good I might even have to come back and be a paying customer next year! :rolleyes:

Thanks for attending Bill, It was great to see the passion and real emotion as you spoke about the Somme.

It was also fantastic at the dinner afterwards to see Tony Pollard's reaction when he realised who he was sitting next to; our TV star speaker ( and genuine nice guy) taking a "selfie" with BMAC !!!

Just echoing every sentiment expressed so far....superb day and excellant speakers, the German topic was excellant, very good and with humour, Bills Somme talks simply excellant just like his books and of course the Fromells presentation was absolutely fascinating. I enjoyed all the other presentations too.......well done to all involved.

Regards

TT

I can only echo the praise of others in the fantastic job Alan & his assistants did. Kim will be pleased to hear that after much searching in my wall of rum jars I have indeed found the rare Massey Ferguson SRD jar and will be posting a photo of it soon. Talking of SRD jars; I haven't forgotten my promise to TT (despite my liver preserving alcohol intake) & a perfect unchipped jar is coming your way next year. Many thanks to all the great speakers and forum pals for a great weekend.

Andy

PS: I do have a photo taken at the conference but it failed to pass Kim's quality control & she has banned me from posting it :(

Andy

Glad you all enjoyed it folks. I will take on board the comments about roving mikes etc and see what we can improve next year.

Alan

If roving mikes cannot be provided/aren't a viable solution then the speakers could be asked to repeat the question as part of their answer.

I was right at the back and had no problem hearing any of the speakers (and I have a small hearing loss in one ear) the only time I couldn't hear properly was at question time when people from the floor were forward of me and therefore talking away from me.

I certainly agree about the need for a roving mike for people asking questions. I stood and tried to project my voice when speaking but most people didn't and were very hard to pick up. The speakers were slightly easier to hear away from the microphones but only because they were facing the room. Not that I think it was a problem this year but having a mike and only allowing people to speak with its assistance would allow Alan to control the length of time available for questions.

Keith

• 9 months later...

Alan, Please reserve me one place. £10 deposit on its way via paypal

John Sneddon

Alan, Please reserve me one place. £10 deposit on its way via paypal

John Sneddon

Some mistake, surely.? This thread is about last year's conference.

Cheers Martin B

It is indeed Martin - but I've picked up John's message which is the important thing....