Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference 2014 - fifth speaker announced

AlanCurragh

He's has Kim to carry his beer!

I'll get my coat now I think.

Keith

I would be unlikely to exit a taxi with any full glasses .....

Akbar's sometime between 10 and 11 pm

Keith

Last year I recall starting my curry post midnight. In retrospect, this might not have been wise...

My thoughts exactly Alan, which is why I'm probably going to eat at the OC and leave the boys to the curry. An early night for me and no falling asleep in the afternoon warmth!

do you guys meet up here in the north-west, say manchester at all? would be great to meet up with some of you

where and when will the next conference be? can't come to this one but I will for the next one ^_^

The next one will be roughly the same time of year in 2015, at the same venue in Birmingham, Gillian

I think our very success last year with over 30 arriving something around 10.30 on a busy evening slowed things down. I am inclined to go for a slightly earlier taxi order this year.

Keith

I think our very success last year with over 30 arriving something around 10.30 on a busy evening slowed things down. I am inclined to go for a slightly earlier taxi order this year.

Keith

I would agree - I bailed out last year and went back to the hotel because it was just getting too late

I will definitely be coming to the next one when the dates are announced then, sounds like you guys have a great time when you get together x

Re curry, your all light weights!!!!!!

T

I'll have you know that I am certainly not light. On our first visit to Akbar's we accidentally ended up in two groups, which might have made service quicker, but when you use a place where most main course items are not cooked until you order, compared to the ones with a few sauce vats and a stock of baked meats things do take a little longer. I don't mind waiting for quality.

Keith

Now there's a picture, painted by one of the old masters - "The Temptation of St Kim" with a cherubic Keith, modesty preserved by a strategic wisp of gauze wafting a fragrant bowl of curry before her.

Folks - sorry for the very late change, but I'm afraid that Christina Holstein has had to cancel speaking tomorrow. But I am very pleased that Ric Pelvin, former curator of records at the Australian War Memorial and author of several books including "Anzacs - an Illustrated History 1914-1918" , has agreed to speak instead - his subject is the Battlecruiser "Australia"

See you all tomorrow (or later tonight at the OC)

Alan

Have a great time everyone - safe journeys to and from.

Tony you not going?

Tony

Ah, thanks for that and condolences to Christina for her sad loss.

Having had the pleasure of Rik's company on more than one occasion both James and myself can vouch for his knowledge and sense of humour, I'm sure he's going to be one heck of a replacement speaker (plus he always puts up with me calling him Chris).

Just booked in now, so a couple of hours to relax before we meet up - James, get the kettle on!

Tony you not going?

Tony

Not this year - other commitments mean I would have to drive there and back in a day, lose an hour and I have an early start in the morning. Will be there next year hopefully.

Home safe and sound. Thanks Alan and Sue for another outstanding conference.

I have never been so organised Christmas cards in March.

Mandy

Alan and Sue

Thank you and all others who helped arrange today, Heather, Tom and myself had a great time.

As always the friendly and knowledgable folk we had the pleasure of talking to made it an interesting and relaxing day. And that's not even mentioning the excellent speakers!

As ever with the Forum a mixture of learning and enjoyment. Roll on next March

David

PS I spent far too much on books (thank you Messers Baker and Roberts) and bought Christmas cards in March. What's not to like!