Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference 2014 - fifth speaker announced

AlanCurragh

I had a brilliant time; lots of fun and much food for thought. Excellent speakers, great company and to cap it all I found out that I'd seen Bill MacCormick perform before; and despite his protestations he was a rock star. Thanks to all who helped organise it.

Pete.

Very sad that a family wedding prevented me attending this year - but the wedding was splendid and in great weather.

Hopefully some good folk will describe the day for absent friends.

Just returned to my hotel room from the hotel bar. Another fantastic conference, thank you Alan and Sue, as well as all the speakers. Good to put a name tto so many names; that's at least 2 "who is its" I've solved !!!

In a demonstration of solidarity we're having wine over here while you all getting back from the bar as well.

I can't tell you how much I missed being with you all. I clearly missed a wonderful day. I hope I `ll see you all next year.

Christina

Thanks are due to Alan and all who helped organise and deliver this year's conference. A great job once again. So good to meet old friends and make some new ones. Here's to next year!

Super day - thanks, Alan & Sue! :thumbsup:

I can add nothing to the eulogies except my thanks for a great day.

Keith

I can only echo Keith's comments. Brilliant day

Roger

Just got home having had an excellent time yet again - a nice eclectic mix of speakers and topics combining both humour and tragedy - would be nice to get the microphones right though - but how many conferences outside of Nuremberg would have a goose stepping speaker? They were all rock stars in my opinion.. And nice to meet so many members in the real world.

I can't tell you how much I missed being with you all. I clearly missed a wonderful day. I hope I `ll see you all next year.

Christina

Christina, I'm sure I speak for all the attendees when I say we really missed you too.

Pete.

I also had a good day although, like Centurion, I hope we can sort out the various microphone issues. It may be his rock star experience with mics , but Bill was the only speaker for whom I could claim to have heard every word. Other folk would either move away from the very precise direction of the lecturn mic, or would hold the portable mic too low from time to time. I did suggest to Alan that the small "clip to your shirt" portable mic would be loads better.

May I echo on behalf of myself and my two mates thanks to Alan and Sue for organising another great day. every presentation was informative but I really enjoyed the fascinating forensic archaeology. for next year could we please have a roving microphone for questions?

Sorry Mike, no photos from me this year :(

We've just gotten back home now. We should have arrived home hours ago but decided we would visit the National arboretum on the way home.

First big mistake:

James assumed the satnav would take us home the same way we'd arrived (past signposts for the NA) but he didn't take into account the satnav's sadistic sense of humour when it decided to take us from Birmingam to Harrogate via Manchester. We didn't actually notice this was happening because every year without fail we always miss the turn offs and end up going in different directions/turning round but eventually finding our way home. (i have to point out this NEVER happens in any other place except Birmingham, there's just something about the roads which doesn't like us). Anyway, by the time we realised what was happening it was too late and too far in to divert to the NA and we decided to carry on and enjoy the slow roadworks and horrendous views instead.

Second big mistake:

About an hour or so into this wonderful trip home I suddenly, and for no known reason other than it being a random thought, burst out with "James, your iPad, did you pack it?" Going at 70 miles an hour at this point didn't make it conducive to have a panic attack but as we were approaching a service station we pulled off and checked his bag. Sure enough he'd forgotten it. Being of a naturally placid nature I just snuggled down into my seat and enjoyed the return trip to Birmingham whilst mentally working out we should have been approaching Leeds as we re-entered the hotel carpark, but consoling myself it was worth returning to the hotel as I desperately needed the loo at this point. We both exited the car at a rapid rate of knots and, by the time I returned feeling somewhat more comfortable, James had his beloved iPad in his hands and we could set off for home - again.

It was at this point I suggested we could take this opportunity to visit the NA afterall, seeing as we could now return the way we'd intended to earlier in the day. We both happily agreed it was a good idea and set off looking forward yet again to the visit.

Third big mistake:

This time we wouldn't be so complacent and keyed in the post code for the NA. We successfully navigated through the city centre and approached the tricky point which always caught us out but, as we'd gone wrong soooooo many times at this precise point before, the turn off wasn't going to fool us. Oh no, not this time. But it did and as we flew down yet another wrong slip road taking us towards to M1 for London instead of towards Lichfield we decided that perhaps we'd visit the NA next year instead :D

The conference itself was again superb. Such a variety of speakers and so much to take in. So many old friends to catch up with (Seany, Fatty Owls and others, wish I'd known who you were it would have been nice to say hello).

My only complaint is the abuse I suffered from many well known members who insisted on dismissing the authenticity of my genuine Massey Ferguson bayonet as found in the field running alongside Ulster Tower during my trip 3 years ago. I just couldn't understand their laughter myself ;)

And finally, I swear that next year I will not go for the curry on the Friday night. That I will get to bed early instead and that I won't then spend the day trying not to fall asleep.

What a truly great bunch of people to have spent the weekend with. Those of you who couldn't make it, you were sorely missed. Those who did make it, thank you for such a great time.

The biggest thanks of all go to Sue and Alan for their tremendous efforts yet again. Well done you two and thank you!

Kim, your story reads like a book and my heart goes out to you. Apart from the mistakes getting home I envy you being able to go to the conference in the first place. Put your feet up now, have a glass of wine and reflect.

Anne

Just back home with my suitcase a ton heavier with books' Xmas cards etc. As usual a great time with excellent speakers and good company. I would have liked more people to be wearing their name tags so I could identify them. Thanks again Alan and Sue and hope to see you again next year.

Cheers Martin B

Kim

Technophile that I am (they can't touch you for it) I almost never use my sat nav preferring an old fashioned thing called a map. You probably fell foul of the god of Brum [if you remember an early Last of the Summer Wine (before it putrefied) they touched on the ancient god of Yorkshire called Ernshaw.] Well Brum has one too - Eli. He covers the Black Country as well and casts curses on followers of Massey Ferguson, favouring JCB who maintain a local shrine. (I have a Massey Ferguson tractor but am just out of range). Glad you got home in the end, you could have become as sort of British Odysseus doomed to wander Staffordshire for years (although Eli's attention does tend to wander around opening time). See you again next year Eli willing..

Kim, your story reads like a book and my heart goes out to you. Apart from the mistakes getting home I envy you being able to go to the conference in the first place. Put your feet up now, have a glass of wine and reflect.

Anne

Thank you for the kind thoughts Anne. It sounds far worse than it was. Honestly, it happens every year it's become a standing joke between us and we expect it to happen. Truth to tell I'd rather travel back and 'waste' a couple of hours than have to buy a new iPad. Hopefully you'll make it across one day.

Kim

Technophile that I am (they can't touch you for it) I almost never use my sat nav preferring an old fashioned thing called a map. You probably fell foul of the god of Brum [if you remember an early Last of the Summer Wine (before it putrefied) they touched on the ancient god of Yorkshire called Ernshaw.] Well Brum has one too - Eli. He covers the Black Country as well and casts curses on followers of Massey Ferguson, favouring JCB who maintain a local shrine. (I have a Massey Ferguson tractor but am just out of range). Glad you got home in the end, you could have become as sort of British Odysseus doomed to wander Staffordshire for years (although Eli's attention does tend to wander around opening time). See you again next year Eli willing..

Ah, well, you see. That explains it all Robert for truly we are related to the god of Yorkshire, James' maternal family being Earnshaw descendants and that's why Eli likes to get his own back. Yes, I resorted to a good old fashioned book of maps after the last turn off and deduced diverting to the NA just wasn't worth it and the road we'd accidentally ended up on was rather a good one actually - if only we can remember which wrong turn to take for next year :D

The conference itself was again superb. Such a variety of speakers and so much to take in. So many old friends to catch up with (Seany, Fatty Owls and others, wish I'd known who you were it would have been nice to say hello).

Kim, I would have loved to say hello but as a tyro member and conference debutant I felt v shy. Also I didn't want to draw attention to these facts as my friend David had said that the mods would insist I fight the forum bear and/or make me try to outrun the forum lepoard.

Pete.

I would have protected you Pete!

Kim, I really appreciate that. I think your bayonet would have come in handy. Interestingly I too had directional issues on my way through Birmingham; I'd not driven around the city for several years and they've moved things around in the interim.

Pete.