Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wipers Times

roughdiamond

Doubtless there will some technicalities that will get sniped at..., but as drama about a publication that was 'cocking a snoot' at the war in general & the military establishment in particular, it fitted the bill admirably; full marks to the writers and producers.

NigelS

Very enjoyable and very clever device to present the articles as a stage review.

Don't you think that particular idea was pinched from Joan Littlewood ?

A first class production, and a sincere tribute. I have laughed over the Wipers Times since I bought a reprint compilation 45 years ago. Now the older I get, the more I understand the jokes.

G

Very enjoyable and very clever device to present the articles as a stage review.

Hubby thought it very Pythonesque.

I thought the uniforms were too clean :)

PS: I blame it all on Taff! :D

Loved it.

I really enjoyed it. It had everything including, joy of joys, a character from the West Midlands (the sergeant) who wasn't depicted as an idiot.

Absolutely first rate and good to see Michael Palin playing a senior officer as something other than a buffoon.

As an aside, has anyone ever seen an original copy for sale. I have the anthologies from 1918 & 1930 but have never seen any single issues. There was talk of them selling copies at home but surely they couldn't have produced sufficient quantities to do that?

......but as drama about a publication that was 'cocking a snoot' at the war in general & the military establishment in particular......

NigelS

How I love this expression I'd never heard till I came to UK. Great to read some comments - I recorded it so looking forward to watching

Judy

Blimey, 'full house' of approval - there's a first (no doubt the detractors are late risers, having been up until the early hours making notes) :whistle:

I look forward to watching over the weekend. Please don't tell me how it ends.

Excuse me chaps: I recorded itfor watching at the weekend (finished after my bedtime), so don't spoil it for my by telling me who won.

I look forward to watching over the weekend. Please don't tell me how it ends.

Snap!

Just risen! But what hugely enjoyable and touching programme. Mistakes there were a few, but then, again, to few to mention. Great television of the type that seems to have gone with the payouts.

It's true. Mr Filsell is the Sid Vicious of the Forum.

Mr Filsell is the Sid Vicious of the Forum.

Hope not we all know what happened to him!

Well then, how did it shape up? I'm no critic but as a piece of entertainment I would rate it quite highly and, for the general public, without in-depth knowledge of historical details, I think it probably made it's mark. Very reminiscent of 'Oh what a lovely war' but for me the last scene was unnecessary and blew the whole 'stage set' feel of the rest of what I thought was a good theatrical performance.

Peter B

I think you had to have the last scene, to complete the first. T'was all part of the 'story' (which in fact was all true as it told us so, in very big letter, right at the start - although I would have been much happier if the term 'based on a true story' had been used as just saying 'This is a true story' leads (some) people to think the whole programme was verbatim).

PS: sorry for a teeny tiny little bit of dissent, it was a good programme :)

May I put in a word of praise for Ian Hislop who was jointly responsible for the excellent script. Members will recall that when he appeared on “Who do you think you are” a while back he was very interested in a family member who served in the Great War even to the extent of visiting those places on the Western Front connected with his relative. Members will also be aware that following this programme he made the series “Not Forgotten” which in my opinion remains one of the very best examples of its kind in recent years. Ian Hislop has obviously developed a passion for the study of the conflict and as Editor of “Private Eye” was an appropriate choice for “Wipers Times”. As I remarked in an earlier post I sincerely believe that this programme sets the standard which hopefully the many programmes to follow in 2014 will strive to attain.

Regards

Norman

How I love this expression I'd never heard till I came to UK. Great to read some comments - I recorded it so looking forward to watching

Judy

I don't want to gratuitously correct Nigel S, but as you are interested in this phrase, it should be "cocking a snook." It is often associated with the gesture of applying ones thumb to the tip of the nose, palm open, fingers vertical (like a cocks comb) and wiggling them. Tongue stuck out is an optional extra. Which is probably what Nigel will do to me !